Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Will Age Or Ranking Retire Fed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453660)

chatt_town 02-04-2013 02:03 PM

Will Age Or Ranking Retire Fed
 
I'm just wondering what will eventually tell Fed it's time to hang them up. Would he stop playing if his ranking fell to say 7 or 8th in the world? As he gets older he is probably going to play fewer tourneys and i would think his ranking would fall. I just wonder would hang around and try to win majors as say the number 8 or 9 guy or would he hang them up because it's an embarrassment to be outside the top 4....or do you all think if he has say 2 or 3 in the next couple of years where he gets put out before the quarters would make him retire.

Mick3391 02-04-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatt_town (Post 7191337)
I'm just wondering what will eventually tell Fed it's time to hang them up. Would he stop playing if his ranking fell to say 7 or 8th in the world? As he gets older he is probably going to play fewer tourneys and i would think his ranking would fall. I just wonder would hang around and try to win majors as say the number 8 or 9 guy or would he hang them up because it's an embarrassment to be outside the top 4....or do you all think if he has say 2 or 3 in the next couple of years where he gets put out before the quarters would make him retire.

Fed reminds me of the old boxers, always going on too long. Since you are asking for opinions, I think he'll keep playing long past his prime, he just loves it, I mean he cries when he wins, cries when he loses, that's passion.

Plus he's making a fortune with his sponsors, and he might have a few slams in him. Who knows, maybe he'll remake himself like Agassi and pull out 5 more GS's!

WhiskeyEE 02-04-2013 02:09 PM

once he stops consistently making semis of slams.

wangs78 02-04-2013 02:10 PM

He'll play through 2016.

I say this because I think he's going to keep playing as long as he can regularly make SF berths at the Slams. As long as he can maintain his top 4 ranking, that should not be a problem and with Nadal such a big question mark right now I think the odds of either Tsonga, Delpo or Berdych pushing him out of the top 4 are very slim. So he'll be making SFs through 2014, I think. Then let's say his level drops in 2015 (he'll be 33ish) and fails to make a SF berth. He'll then announce that 2016 will be his farewell year and he'll play one last time in the Olympics.

timnz 02-04-2013 02:11 PM

Really?
 
[quote=Mick3391;7191347]Fed reminds me of the old boxers, always going on too long. QUOTE]

Really? Wasn't he number 1 in the world recently as 2 to 3 months ago? Isn't he the reigning Wimbledon champion? Has his ranking fallen hugely...last I checked he was number 2.

JRAJ1988 02-04-2013 02:17 PM

Federer is a one-off there will never be another and I wouldn't consider myself and avid fan but when he retires there will be more tears shed by a lot of fans regardless of who you support.

Bloodshed 02-04-2013 02:28 PM

Once his love and passion is gone and knows he cannot beat the Djokovics, Murrays or Nadal despite playing his best tennis, that's the day he will call it quits.

2016 would be a good time but I wouldn't be surprised if he retires before that.

ark_28 02-04-2013 02:34 PM

I am not a Federer fan but I admire his tennis and have a lot of respect for what he has done for our sport!

We will miss him when he has gone so really should treasure every match he has left!

Mick3391 02-04-2013 02:37 PM

[quote=timnz;7191356]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7191347)
Fed reminds me of the old boxers, always going on too long. QUOTE]

Really? Wasn't he number 1 in the world recently as 2 to 3 months ago? Isn't he the reigning Wimbledon champion? Has his ranking fallen hugely...last I checked he was number 2.

You misunderstand, I'm Feds biggest fan. However I've noticed that he doesn't have as much gas in the tank anymore. He played FLAWLESS up until Tsonga, and he should have would have beat Murray or anyone if he was "On", meaning his serve and consistancy.

We have to be honest, he's lost a step. This doesn't mean he can't go on and win more slams!

forzamilan90 02-04-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshed (Post 7191384)
Once his love and passion is gone and knows he cannot beat the Djokovics, Murrays or Nadal despite playing his best tennis, that's the day he will call it quits.

2016 would be a good time but I wouldn't be surprised if he retires before that.

well it's only three years away, not that far from now, not to mention he wants to play that Rio Olympics so Fed will still have fire...frankly I think the fire keeps burning till the end. Fed is tennis.

Bloodshed 02-04-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forzamilan90 (Post 7191412)
well it's only three years away, not that far from now, not to mention he wants to play that Rio Olympics so Fed will still have fire...frankly I think the fire keeps burning till the end. Fed is tennis.

I know it's only 3 years away but alot can happen in that 3 year. I'm going my gut feeling and 2016 is the year he retires.

Just expect the unexpected if it unfortunately happens.

Homeboy Hotel 02-04-2013 02:48 PM

Frustration will retire Federer

Once he loses to all 3 players at all 4 slams in a repeated fashion, he will call it quits. Which will be around 2016.

That's already happened at AO
Murray has yet to (meet) beat him at RG.
Djokovic is yet to beat him at SW19
Murray/Nadal is yet to beat him at USO.

kishnabe 02-04-2013 02:51 PM

Rather not a contemplate a depressing matter.....when he retires whether it be tomorrow or 6 year later it would suck.

Don't know when.....I hope after 2015.

forzamilan90 02-04-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshed (Post 7191417)
I know it's only 3 years away but alot can happen in that 3 year. I'm going my gut feeling and 2016 is the year he retires.

Just expect the unexpected if it unfortunately happens.

oh yeah I think this is the consensus answer. 2016 being his last hurrah.

Prisoner of Birth 02-04-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy Hotel (Post 7191419)
Frustration will retire Federer

Once he loses to all 3 players at all 4 slams in a repeated fashion, he will call it quits. Which will be around 2016.

That's already happened at AO
Murray has yet to (meet) beat him at RG.
Djokovic is yet to beat him at SW19
Murray/Nadal is yet to beat him at USO.

If Federer can gut it out till 2016, it won't be Djokovic, Murray and Nadal that he has to worry about. It will be Tomic or some other new guy that is the top player.

timnz 02-04-2013 03:09 PM

[quote=Mick3391;7191400]
Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7191356)

You misunderstand, I'm Feds biggest fan. However I've noticed that he doesn't have as much gas in the tank anymore. He played FLAWLESS up until Tsonga, and he should have would have beat Murray or anyone if he was "On", meaning his serve and consistancy.

We have to be honest, he's lost a step. This doesn't mean he can't go on and win more slams!

I think that Federer's main problem is tennis officialdom. As long as they continue in their plans to make the courts as slow as possible then he will struggle. They have largely succeeded - probably only a handful of tennis championships now are on Medium or faster surface.

Mick3391 02-04-2013 03:23 PM

[quote=timnz;7191465]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7191400)

I think that Federer's main problem is tennis officialdom. As long as they continue in their plans to make the courts as slow as possible then he will struggle. They have largely succeeded - probably only a handful of tennis championships now are on Medium or faster surface.

I know that, have thought of that also. But watch close if you don't already. Sometimes, for example at the Olympics against Murray, sometimes he comes out and has no serve, racks up unforced errors, it's very frustrating and sad, he's either on or not, when he's not he plays like a tired player, I've said that for along time, you can tell right away, his serve will be mediocre, hit the net, hit long, shank. In other words, he plays great, but not the Fed of '06. Go watch a video of him back then, he was insane, never missed anything, just a robot machine.

I mean we have to be honest or no one will take us serious, I agree if the courts were faster he'd still be kicking butt, but they are not faster, and he's slowed. If he can get through a easy draw, and play for example like he did against anyone but the last two at the AO, he'll win more GS's, he's still got it big time, more natural talent than anyone, but not when tired.

mariecon 02-04-2013 03:23 PM

I think he'll still be in the top 10 when he retires. Which is totally respectable. He's not stupid. He'll be able to tell if his ranking will fall drastically and will call it quits before that happens. But I agree he'll try to play till the Rio Olympics.

Mick3391 02-04-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7191496)
I think he'll still be in the top 10 when he retires. Which is totally respectable. He's not stupid. He'll be able to tell if his ranking will fall drastically and will call it quits before that happens. But I agree he'll try to play till the Rio Olympics.

No one has a clue if he can make it until any particular date. There's an old saying in sports, "He got old overnight", it happens. If he drops off and starts losing consistantly to journeyman, he may keep going, he has a ton of faith in himself, but no one can pick a date, he may say "don't have it anymore" tomorrow for all we know.

Prisoner of Birth 02-04-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick3391 (Post 7191502)
No one has a clue if he can make it until any particular date. There's an old saying in sports, "He got old overnight", it happens. If he drops off and starts losing consistantly to journeyman, he may keep going, he has a ton of faith in himself, but no one can pick a date, he may say "don't have it anymore" tomorrow for all we know.

I honestly think he'll atleast keep going until he believes he can't win Grand Slams anymore. Which, no matter what, won't be until 2014 Wimbledon atleast.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse