Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Does anyone find this odd? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453662)

tennis5 02-04-2013 02:12 PM

Does anyone find this odd?

Sh*t and F*ck on Sunday, defaulted from a NATIONAL USTA tournament in Florida after being warned....

(Curse - point penalty, curse - game penalty, curse - defaulted, curse - after being - defaulted, and now also defaulted from dubs).

and then 4 days later....

you get announced for Davis Cup Junior USTA Player Development Camp.....

SUNDAY, JANUARY 27, 2013
Tennis Plaza Cup Finals Set for Monday

At Salvadore Park, where the quarterfinals and semifinals were played today in the boys 18s and boys 14s division, top seed Christian Langmo got the most unusual win of his tennis career in the semifinals, when his opponent, unseeded Alfredo Perez, was defaulted from the match at 3-3 deuce in the third set.

Perez was defaulted for his third audible obscenity in the match, the first two coming in the last game of the first set when he was serving trailing 3-5.

The rallies between Langmo and Perez had been of extremely high quality throughout the first eight games, with both hitting the ball deep and with pace. The Har-Tru courts at Salvadore Park prevented first-strike tennis, which both Perez and Langmo would have excelled at on a faster surface, and the result was entertaining points that featured offense, defense and even occasional net play. Neither player was making many unforced errors, and the frustration of having to win points began to take its toll of Perez.

At 3-5, 0-30, after a Langmo winner, Perez yelled out "he's playing out of his f***ing mind" and a roving umpire gave him a point penalty, making it 0-40. Perez responded with two consecutive aces, but on the third break point, Langmo hit a difficult backhand volley winner. What Perez said next was not audible from where I was standing, but it was audible to the same roving umpire, who then gave him a game penalty.....

The third set continued with both boys playing well and holding serve until, at 3-3, Perez let a 40-15 lead get away. When he failed to win a third game point, he shouted that he was playing like the Spanish word for excrement. The assistant referee checked with her Spanish-speaking colleague to make sure she had heard it correctly, and called both boys to the net, where she awarded the match to Langmo. Langmo shook Perez's hand, then Perez tossed his racquet in the direction of his bag and after a few seconds sat down and loudly said the same word again. Because he was defaulted for misconduct, the 15-year-old from Coral Gables was not allowed to play his doubles match later in the day.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 31, 2013
Davis Cup Junior Camp Participants

The USTA frequently conducts Player Development Training Camps during a home Davis Cup tie,
and today they announced the players who are in Jacksonville for the camp for Friday's tie with Brazil.

They are:
Stefan Kozlov (14, Pembroke Pines, Fla.)
Henrik Wiersholm (15, Kirkland, Wash.)
William Blumberg (15, Greenwich, Conn.)
Jake Devine (15, Boca Raton, Fla.)
Eduardo Nava (15, Woodland Hills, Calif.)
Reilly Opelka (15, Palm Coast, Fla.)
Alfredo Perez (15, Coral Gables, Fla.)
Nathan Ponwith (14, Scottsdale, Ariz.)

andfor 02-04-2013 02:21 PM

No, I don't think getting defaulted from a tennis match in that manner should get you suspended from future play. On the other hand, has he exceeded the USTA Point System maximum of 10 points for Code violations? If so, then yes he should not be on the team.

I do see the point of your question. But if he is within the rules then as long as they are applied equally then he can play.

In my house, if he were my kid, he would have made him stay home from the next major event as his tennis punishment. Other punishments would also apply, such as apology letters and phone calls, no tennis for a week, additional work around the house, etc............

Chemist 02-04-2013 03:49 PM

We want to see more umpires like those working at Plaza in every tournament. Having watched him in 2 matches , this kid actually behaved a lot better than many kids we know.

tennis1970 02-04-2013 03:53 PM

Though the rules may have been followed... It still is a judgement call by the USTA to "reward" the player for a display of poor sportsmanship/bad court conduct. I personally would disagree with the USTA descision. The USTA has kids sign waivers stating they won't display poor conduct when they are part of these outings. It's like going against their own tenant. There are plenty of good well behaved kids they could have chosen instead....

andfor 02-04-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis1970 (Post 7191570)
Though the rules may have been followed... It still is a judgment call by the USTA to "reward" the player for a display of poor sportsmanship/bad court conduct. I personally would disagree with the USTA decision. The USTA has kids sign waivers stating they won't display poor conduct when they are part of these outings. It's like going against their own tenant. There are plenty of good well behaved kids they could have chosen instead....

Go down that slippery slope and see where that gets you. Will the standard be applied equally to all players on the team based on behavior over the last 12 months? Maybe, maybe not. Some tournaments apply code violations for the words Frick and Fudge the same as the word F*** same goes for Golly Gee Willickers is the same as GD.

The USTA has a 10 Point Penalty Code Violation System that works and at least establishes a system and standard.

I'm sure there a some who want fascist rule from the USTA, and that's their choice. Good luck with that.

Chemist 02-04-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Though the rules may have been followed... It still is a judgement call by the USTA to "reward" the player for a display of poor sportsmanship/bad court conduct. I personally would disagree with the USTA descision. The USTA has kids sign waivers stating they won't display poor conduct when they are part of these outings. It's like going against their own tenant. There are plenty of good well behaved kids they could have chosen instead....

Agree! These kids may have been chosen weeks before the L3. But USTA is obligated to teach these high performance kids how to better behave themselves on and off the tennis courts.

chalkflewup 02-04-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

They may not have been aware as Perez doesn't train with USTA. He trains with Robert Gomez who actually hosted the tournament where the DQ actually occurred. Should Gomez have done anything? Maybe he did.

andfor 02-05-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 7191820)
They may not have been aware as Perez doesn't train with USTA. He trains with Robert Gomez who actually hosted the tournament where the DQ actually occurred. Should Gomez have done anything? Maybe he did.

The kid was defaulted from the tournament. I guess some also want him water boarded or at the very least sent to solitary first before he can play jr DC.

Number1Coach 02-05-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 7191358)
Sh*t and F*ck on Sunday, defaulted from a NATIONAL USTA tournament in Florida after being warned....

(Curse - point penalty, curse - game penalty, curse - defaulted, curse - after being - defaulted, and now also defaulted from dubs).

and then 4 days later....

you get announced for Davis Cup Junior USTA Player Development Camp.....

SUNDAY, JANUARY 27, 2013
Tennis Plaza Cup Finals Set for Monday

At Salvadore Park, where the quarterfinals and semifinals were played today in the boys 18s and boys 14s division, top seed Christian Langmo got the most unusual win of his tennis career in the semifinals, when his opponent, unseeded Alfredo Perez, was defaulted from the match at 3-3 deuce in the third set.

Perez was defaulted for his third audible obscenity in the match, the first two coming in the last game of the first set when he was serving trailing 3-5.

The rallies between Langmo and Perez had been of extremely high quality throughout the first eight games, with both hitting the ball deep and with pace. The Har-Tru courts at Salvadore Park prevented first-strike tennis, which both Perez and Langmo would have excelled at on a faster surface, and the result was entertaining points that featured offense, defense and even occasional net play. Neither player was making many unforced errors, and the frustration of having to win points began to take its toll of Perez.

At 3-5, 0-30, after a Langmo winner, Perez yelled out "he's playing out of his f***ing mind" and a roving umpire gave him a point penalty, making it 0-40. Perez responded with two consecutive aces, but on the third break point, Langmo hit a difficult backhand volley winner. What Perez said next was not audible from where I was standing, but it was audible to the same roving umpire, who then gave him a game penalty.....

The third set continued with both boys playing well and holding serve until, at 3-3, Perez let a 40-15 lead get away. When he failed to win a third game point, he shouted that he was playing like the Spanish word for excrement. The assistant referee checked with her Spanish-speaking colleague to make sure she had heard it correctly, and called both boys to the net, where she awarded the match to Langmo. Langmo shook Perez's hand, then Perez tossed his racquet in the direction of his bag and after a few seconds sat down and loudly said the same word again. Because he was defaulted for misconduct, the 15-year-old from Coral Gables was not allowed to play his doubles match later in the day.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 31, 2013
Davis Cup Junior Camp Participants

The USTA frequently conducts Player Development Training Camps during a home Davis Cup tie,
and today they announced the players who are in Jacksonville for the camp for Friday's tie with Brazil.

They are:
Stefan Kozlov (14, Pembroke Pines, Fla.)
Henrik Wiersholm (15, Kirkland, Wash.)
William Blumberg (15, Greenwich, Conn.)
Jake Devine (15, Boca Raton, Fla.)
Eduardo Nava (15, Woodland Hills, Calif.)
Reilly Opelka (15, Palm Coast, Fla.)
Alfredo Perez (15, Coral Gables, Fla.)
Nathan Ponwith (14, Scottsdale, Ariz.)

Great job by the ref !

SoCal10s 02-05-2013 09:20 AM

kids ... kids are kids .. they can change ,fast... I never give up on kids .. he's only 15 and little life's lessons like this can change him...if he has the potential to become a great player ,people should give him a bit of a slack .. I don't mean to always baby the cry-baby but do it with an open mind.. his craziness comes from his passion ,he just needs to curb it a bit ... put this kid on a short leash and he'll be fine..

good luck to the future... maybe ...

hound 109 02-05-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7192840)
The kid was defaulted from the tournament. I guess some also want him water boarded or at the very least sent to solitary first before he can play jr DC.

Obviously sarcasm.....buy why is it always black & white with some of the posters here.

There is a third option between water boarding/"spending the night in the box".....,. & being selected to represent our country in an international tournament.

The third option is to select the next best player. (Tiafoe? half a dozen others?)

Dude was dropping F bombs at his home courts in a Natl L3 less than a week ago. Isn't there player who is just as good (& probably ranked higher) who could represent the US in place of him?

chalkflewup 02-05-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal10s (Post 7193113)
kids ... kids are kids .. they can change ,fast... I never give up on kids .. he's only 15 and little life's lessons like this can change him...if he has the potential to become a great player ,people should give him a bit of a slack .. I don't mean to always baby the cry-baby but do it with an open mind.. his craziness comes from his passion ,he just needs to curb it a bit ... put this kid on a short leash and he'll be fine..

good luck to the future... maybe ...

Well said. The kid loves tennis and he can play.

widmerpool 02-05-2013 10:32 AM

If the rules need to be changed, change them.

Tennis has so many wishy-washy areas. Like Azarenka's breaks. Make a set time limit. You go over, you default. Don't leave it up to "judgement calls".

Alohajrtennis 02-05-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 7193122)
Obviously sarcasm.....buy why is it always black & white with some of the posters here.

There is a third option between water boarding/"spending the night in the box".....,. & being selected to represent our country in an international tournament.

The third option is to select the next best player. (Tiafoe? half a dozen others?)

Dude was dropping F bombs at his home courts in a Natl L3 less than a week ago. Isn't there player who is just as good (& probably ranked higher) who could represent the US in place of him?

I agree with you Hound. Camps like that are a privileged, not a right. He wouldn't be being punished by not being selected. If you take that perspective, what about the kid who just beat him, why not invite him. Is he being punished by not being selected ?

As for cutting these kids some slack becuase they are talented, that just plain wrong. They should be held to a higher standard, not pandered to or treated like Primadonnas. This is why we get embarrassing displays by Harrison at the Olympics. No discipline.

andfor 02-05-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hound 109 (Post 7193122)

He was defaulted from the match, that was his punishment. Does he have more than 10 Code Violation Points in a 12 month rolling calender year? If no, then he should be able to play the next event and be selected to represent the USTA. If yes then he should be suspended for 3 months. My guess is he does not have 10 code violation point penalties, thus he's eligible to play, just like everyone else. Those are the rules. If you don't like them, get them changed.

What I can't believe is there are those here who say the USTA can't do anything right. Then there's this situation and folks act as if they want the USTA to appoint a Behavior Czar to arbitrarily punish kids for behavior as they see fit. And the USTA would get this right every time? Unbelievable.

Alohajrtennis 02-05-2013 01:59 PM

Again, how does not being selected for this event constitute a punishment ? By that logic, at least 4,000 other kids got punished for no reason at all. Participation the camp was not a right. It was a privilege. The rules don't specify who gets invited to the event, its a subjective decision, and some of us don't think the selectors choose wisely. You cannot tell me there were not any other 14 or 15 year old's qualified to attend.

chalkflewup 02-05-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7193981)
He was defaulted from the match, that was his punishment. Does he have more than 10 Code Violation Points in a 12 month rolling calender year? If no, then he should be able to play the next event and be selected to represent the USTA. If yes then he should be suspended for 3 months. My guess is he does not have 10 code violation point penalties, thus he's eligible to play, just like everyone else. Those are the rules. If you don't like them, get them changed.

What I can't believe is there are those here who say the USTA can't do anything right. Then there's this situation and folks act as if they want the USTA to appoint a Behavior Czar to arbitrarily punish kids for behavior as they see fit. And the USTA would get this right every time? Unbelievable.

andfor,

You are guilty of applying sound logic. Keep up the good work as this forum needs checks and balances.

RF20Lennon 02-05-2013 02:02 PM

I honestly dont even get why sh*t is a curse word in America. In other countries its just like saying "crap"

Tennishacker 02-05-2013 02:52 PM

The real issue is that the rule makers are the decision makers.

chalkflewup 02-05-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7194124)
The real issue is that the rule makers are the decision makers.

Your post sounds cool but please clarify what you mean. Within most corporations, the rule makers are the decision makers so I'm not sure I understand. What rule makers and what decision makers are you referring to as it relates to this thread?