Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ALU Power vs. ALU Power Rough (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453664)

Lilguy1456 02-04-2013 02:28 PM

ALU Power vs. ALU Power Rough

Pros/Cons...Compare and Contrast...GO!

(Give us something objective...none of this 'it's all about what's comfy for you')

pvaudio 02-04-2013 04:56 PM

Objective: one is rough, one is not.

Anything else?

PrincessAdam 02-04-2013 05:01 PM

..........it's all about what's comfy for you

PrincessAdam 02-04-2013 05:03 PM

Okay just messing. I like them both equally pretty much. I picked alu rough just because I feel like it is a little less powerful than regular alu power, and I like that control

Lilguy1456 02-04-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7191698)
Objective: one is rough, one is not.

Anything else?

Profound .

pvaudio 02-04-2013 10:01 PM

What else do you possibly want if you don't want anything subjective? Unless you want to know the extrusion process or something, every single string rating is a matter of subjective preference.

mcnota 02-05-2013 04:51 AM

i find alu rough to be stiffer, breaks quicker for me, i like rough better

imo buy a set of both, then you'll know

both great strings but hugely overrated

fgs 02-05-2013 05:16 AM

it is interesting that you ask "which one you prefer" and then expect something objective. you are contradicting yourself.
can you give me an objective reason for your preference of either blondes or dark haired?:)

Lilguy1456 02-06-2013 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgs (Post 7192554)
it is interesting that you ask "which one you prefer" and then expect something objective. you are contradicting yourself.
can you give me an objective reason for your preference of either blondes or dark haired?:)

I mispoke with the word objective...obviously all opinions are subjective. I just meant I didn't want the ever useless and popular response of "it's whatever works better for you."

fgs 02-06-2013 03:53 AM

o.k., then we have an issue to talk about.

it's been quite a long time since i have played them, but i did prefer the rough over the regular one for mainly two reasons: first the rough does have a little bit more "grab" on the ball which is beneficial for my topspin centered strokes and secondly it felt a little bit softer than the regular. this might be due to the fact that apparently they start out on the same diameter, but with the structure applied to the rough there seems to be slightly less material, ie a slight reduction in diameter, which eventually mackes it play softer.

since the strings died around the 3hrs mark and the rather high price tag, they are not a real option for me as i am a stringbreaker. nevertheless i'm soon going to give them another run for my structured/shaped poly playtest, but most probably not before mid march.

The Meat 02-06-2013 03:55 AM

Both pretty much suck in a full bed, there are a lot of better strings at a cheaper price than these overpriced over-endorsed strings.

fgs 02-06-2013 04:37 AM

i find that there is some magic there but since it lasts too short a while it's not worth the asking price.

i also have to say that i have not played them full bed but as mains in a hybrid-setup. i was not making any notes at that time, therefore i'll give them another go in about a months time.

Roddick85 02-08-2013 10:17 AM

I've played with both models and I prefer the Alu Power rough version. The regular Alu Power seemed to have lasted a little longer than the Rough thought but the spin production was better with Rough, especially for kick serves. The strings do tend to go dead quickly (10 hrs or less), so you'll have to change them often if you play a lot.

mongting 02-11-2013 08:36 AM

To me, rough was stiffer. Yes, you need to re-string it often.

Rob1 02-11-2013 05:25 PM

Rough is better and has better spin.
It hold tension better in hybrids.
The PROs love this string.

Rjtennis 02-11-2013 06:26 PM

[quote=The Meat;7195084]Both pretty much suck in a full bed, there are a lot of better strings at a cheaper price than these overpriced over endorsed.

Luxilon only pays a few players to use their strings. Most of the pro's using Lux just get free string. They are great strings if you can afford to restring frequently.