Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Does anybody else forehand slice with an eastern grip? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453670)

VeeSe 02-04-2013 04:20 PM

Does anybody else forehand slice with an eastern grip?
 
Hey all,

Does anybody else slice the forehand side with an eastern forehand grip (both on shots where you choose to slice because you're running out wide or on a forehand chip approach shot)?

Or am I the only one?

edit: on shots where I can barely reach the ball, I have to switch to the continental grip for the traditional squash shot because of the angle of the wrist, etc

LeeD 02-04-2013 04:35 PM

Looks like Federer, DJ, and Murray all use change of pace and defensive slices with an E grip, taken much earlier and out in front than a conti grip.

aimr75 02-04-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7191652)
Looks like Federer, DJ, and Murray all use change of pace and defensive slices with an E grip, taken much earlier and out in front than a conti grip.

looks like federer uses continental for his FH slice here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6OIjbPr4#t=36s

LeeD 02-04-2013 04:44 PM

As you know, most of us can slice with any grip from backhanded conti to almost full W.
On the backhand side, we can slice with any grip.
What Fed does on ONE shot in a vid is only that...ONE shot in a vid.
You watched the Aussie. You saw DJ and Murray slicing forehands well out in front of their bodies.

psv255 02-04-2013 04:44 PM

I occasionally cheat over to an Eastern grip to make a short, skidding slice that brings opponents to net - or just brings their shot into the net...
It seems to give a bit more safety when attempting for a lower, more penetrating slice.

aimr75 02-04-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7191668)
As you know, most of us can slice with any grip from backhanded conti to almost full W.
On the backhand side, we can slice with any grip.
What Fed does on ONE shot in a vid is only that...ONE shot in a vid.
You watched the Aussie. You saw DJ and Murray slicing forehands well out in front of their bodies.

You didn't state that in your other post. You said they use E instead of conti. Stop getting defensive. I showed you an example of him using continental

LeeD 02-04-2013 04:55 PM

geez, every post ever can have ONE moment of one video to debunk ..
I'd hope YOU, at least a decent player, would be beyond this senseless quibbling.
I thought wrong.
Like, it's pretty accepted we toss the ball upwards to serve. You might show one guy bouncing it on the ground with his racket, and not tossing it at all, then saying it's wrong to toss a ball for a serve.....

SystemicAnomaly 02-04-2013 04:57 PM

I will use either a conti or an Eastern FH grip for slices on the FH side.

.

LeeD 02-04-2013 04:59 PM

And when caught with my normal strong SW, I can slice, as I can forehand slice with a conti grip switched to backhand side for second serves and chopping backhands.
ANY grip can hit a slice.

_craze 02-04-2013 05:19 PM

More of an EE/SW grip, but I rarely stab at shots while on the run, unless I'm going for a sidespin winner. I prefer to topspin cross-court.

I don't prefer to hit defensive slices, and would rather do that with topspin.

aimr75 02-04-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7191697)
geez, every post ever can have ONE moment of one video to debunk ..
I'd hope YOU, at least a decent player, would be beyond this senseless quibbling.
I thought wrong.
Like, it's pretty accepted we toss the ball upwards to serve. You might show one guy bouncing it on the ground with his racket, and not tossing it at all, then saying it's wrong to toss a ball for a serve.....

Im not quibbling, your earlier post just sounded like they exclusively used eastern.. i know there is always more than one way to skin a cat.. not arguing there.. whatever works

LeeD 02-04-2013 06:12 PM

I noticed Murray sliced quite a few from his forehand side, even when he wasn't running to the ball. It's as if the slice was used as a "rest" shot, where less effort is expended, and the change of pace, spin, and bounce would possibly tire DJ into a net miss.
This worked both ways, as DJ would slice a few sometimes, and Murray missed low into the net.
Was really noticeable on a 5 year old Isner/Querry match, as a slice would affect the taller players much more than the shorties like Ferrer. Ferrer did make some unforced errors into the net when facing a heavy slice.

slowfox 02-04-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimr75 (Post 7191816)
Im not quibbling, your earlier post just sounded like they exclusively used eastern.. i know there is always more than one way to skin a cat.. not arguing there.. whatever works

Be aware: your avatar pic says something of you.

aimr75 02-04-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7191873)
Be aware: your avatar pic says something of you.

that im a Baghdatis fan?

LeeD 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

Serena can bust them as well as anyone in tennis, WTA, ATP, whatever.
And didn't Az break one also?

rkelley 02-04-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimr75 (Post 7191659)
looks like federer uses continental for his FH slice here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...6OIjbPr4#t=36s

I've been learning to use this shot - cont. grip fh slice when pulled really wide. It's come in handy a couple of times.

ellipticality_224 02-04-2013 08:08 PM

I only slice my forehand when Im pulled way out wide and have to lunge to get to it. Its more of a squash shot than anything. My forehand is too much of a weapon in my game to waste it slicing. My backhand is another story, I slice that biatch 90 percent of the time.

aimr75 02-04-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkelley (Post 7192123)
I've been learning to use this shot - cont. grip fh slice when pulled really wide. It's come in handy a couple of times.

I use this shot too when pulled wide.. i can hit it pretty decent

mikeler 02-05-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimr75 (Post 7192135)
I use this shot too when pulled wide.. i can hit it pretty decent

Continental is the best grip for this shot because it allows the contact point to be further back.

dman72 02-05-2013 05:58 AM

For defensive running forehand slice, the continental gives you more time as you can hit the ball when it's behind you and still get it back.

For approach shots, returns, or change of pace, I've started using the Eastern Forehand as well. My continental slice tended to be a floater that threw off my opponent with wicked sidespin, but this was not effective for approach shots, and it tends to be inconsistent.

The Eastern forehand slice is more biting and gives the opponent less time to prepare..I also used it as an alternative to trying to crush weak second serves, instead slicing the ball directly at the feet of the server and charging the net...more often then not resulted in bad footwork and a weak return or error. When you are dealing with rec players like me, often times hitting right at them is more effective than anything.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse