Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   4 months arm rehab, ready to test hybrid string set (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453671)

colowhisper 02-04-2013 05:10 PM

4 months arm rehab, ready to test hybrid string set

So I had a minor arm problem last fall after a long season, combination of tennis and golfers elbow. I changed racquets, did all the recommended rest and rehab exercises past four months and have only played my new Head Extreme Pro 2.0 with all gut at low tension. Just dropped her off for a string job of VS mains and TF Black Code crosses, still at low tension (baby steps). What can I expect for playability, spin and power difference? Wonder if my arm will get sore again?

dkt 02-04-2013 05:34 PM

Had the same problem exercise helped as much or more than rest. Never have been able to resume playing with any poly. Gut or multi only. Gut is great but expensive, Multi's are fine, poor durability. Trying gut mains and multi cross as an economical alternative to full gut. Good luck, but be very careful with the poly and listen to your arm.

ricardo 02-04-2013 06:02 PM

Gut mains/Multi crosses 42/38, Wilson KFive 108 cure..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7191727)
So I had a minor arm problem last fall after a long season, combination of tennis and golfers elbow. I changed racquets, did all the recommended rest and rehab exercises past four months and have only played my new Head Extreme Pro 2.0 with all gut at low tension. Just dropped her off for a string job of VS mains and TF Black Code crosses, still at low tension (baby steps). What can I expect for playability, spin and power difference? Wonder if my arm will get sore again?

I was in the same situation like you but worse, 2 years ago.

I went through many so called friendly rackets (PK, Volkl C10 Pro, etc).
The only racket I thought helped me recover is the Wilson KFive 108 (triad technology) strung with NG Mains and Soft multi @42/38.

I now string at 52/48, NG mains/multi or synthetics.
I can play and hit really hard with a lot of topspin and my TE/GE never complained again.

I am currently using Pacific Classic Gut @52 and Head rip control crosses @48.

I firmly believe that comfort is significantly more dependent on the racket than on strings. That is my personal experience.

I also tried Head Microgel Extreme Pro strung with NG mains but I sold it because it hurt my elbow.

slowfox 02-04-2013 06:08 PM

Don't do poly in the hybrid.

NLBwell 02-04-2013 10:17 PM

I can't think that any Extreme racket would be good for elbow problems.

Hi I'm Ray 02-04-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7191727)

I found the Extreme 2.0 with full poly to be pillow soft in the sweetspot and and incredibly harsh outside of it. I was adjusting to switching from a single backhand to 2hands and was regularly hitting above or below the sweetspot. It felt great on all my other strokes but on my 2hbh it caused pain in my left hand from 3days of playing with it and lasted 1.5-2weeks. Have never felt this with any other tweener. If your pain starts up again I'd suggest switching to something like a V1.

mikeler 02-05-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7191858)

It's not worth it.

colowhisper 02-05-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7192275)
I found the Extreme 2.0 with full poly to be pillow soft in the sweetspot and and incredibly harsh outside of it. I was adjusting to switching from a single backhand to 2hands and was regularly hitting above or below the sweetspot. It felt great on all my other strokes but on my 2hbh it caused pain in my left hand from 3days of playing with it and lasted 1.5-2weeks. Have never felt this with any other tweener. If your pain starts up again I'd suggest switching to something like a V1.

Intersting observation. Did you feel pain in your hand or your wrist or your arm? I probably played about 40 hours total with it strung full gut this winter and never experienced anything but pillow softness. I found myself swinging a little slower which gave me more control and I perhaps rarely missed the (huge) sweetspot. I will pay attention to this when I hit next with the new strings. Thanks.

colowhisper 02-05-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7192256)
I can't think that any Extreme racket would be good for elbow problems.

I demoed about 10 "arm friendly" racquets last fall, mostly on recommendations from this forum, and the Extreme 2.0 was by far my favorite. I never tried the "old" Extreme, but read here that the new version hits and feels much more supple and soft. I really like it and my arm is better, YMMV.

colowhisper 02-05-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7192527)
It's not worth it.

I agree and will cut it out at the first sign of soreness. I am hoping to keep the sublime feel and touch of the gut but get a little more bite on the ball and dial down the power down just a little. Any other ideas on how to accomplish this if the poly hurts?

colowhisper 02-05-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowfox (Post 7191858)

Well, too late for that, I pick her up today. Will report back after an hour workout with the ball machine.

mikeler 02-05-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7192573)
I agree and will cut it out at the first sign of soreness. I am hoping to keep the sublime feel and touch of the gut but get a little more bite on the ball and dial down the power down just a little. Any other ideas on how to accomplish this if the poly hurts?

Sounds like you are on the right path. If it works great, if it hurts then cut it out.

Hi I'm Ray 02-05-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbarrow (Post 7192561)
Intersting observation. Did you feel pain in your hand or your wrist or your arm? I probably played about 40 hours total with it strung full gut this winter and never experienced anything but pillow softness. I found myself swinging a little slower which gave me more control and I perhaps rarely missed the (huge) sweetspot. I will pay attention to this when I hit next with the new strings. Thanks.

I felt the pain in the bones of my left hand (not in the joints) but it was starting to creep down towards the wrist. BTW I have been using poly/syn gut hybrids or full poly in a APDGT for 2.5yrs and have never experienced something like that. I even used an old frame strung with kevlar some time back without the slightest bit of pain.

Fintft 02-05-2013 06:03 AM

Like Ricardo was saying, I also look at frames and so far the best I've seen is the 6.1 95 BLX Amplifeel 2012. Basalt does wonders so that people that used a dampener before don't need it with this frame (to me is the other way around, i.e. if I want to hit with an older Kfactor 6.1 95 or Yonex etc, I have to put a dampener on it now - I usually don't use one and didn't use them in the past either with those older models).

Also what's wrong with a heavier raquet that let's you hit a little slower like Ray says?

Finally when I had tennis elbow I had to lower the tension from 58/56 to 52/50 and could play right way, while now I string the frames at 57/55, all Babolat VS Team 17 (the liveliest and friendliest).
Disclaimer: I'm at best a 4.0 who hits hard and flat and I got a 1HBH, eastern grip most of the times. Are you at least using semi-western? 'Cause that might be helpful as well.

In my mind nothing beats natural gut ($60 strung and I get at least 3 weeks out of each of my 2 hitting rackets, playing almost daily, 2 hours at a time).

Good luck!

Hi I'm Ray 02-05-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fintft (Post 7192632)
Also what's wrong with a heavier raquet that let's you hit a little slower like Ray says?

That probably wasn't from me...

Fintft 02-05-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 7192687)
That probably wasn't from me...

True you were quoting the OP.

Fintft 02-05-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

-Less dense string beds with natural gut (i.e. I favor 16/18 over 18X20 now). Wilson is even experimented now with a 16X15 with the Steam 99s:

http://www.tennis.com/gear/2013/01/q...duction/46243/

-Thinner gauge for more spin (17 rather then 15/16 in my Babolat VS Team)

-If you could extend its life (starting with a good stringer that pre-stretches and waxes the gut) and to play with it when it has started to play, that's when it bites more into the ball (like Sampras pointed out).

Fintft 02-05-2013 06:57 AM

Errata: "Play with it when it has started to fray, that's when it bites more into the ball"

JT_2eighty 02-06-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Best way to get poly-like control without using a poly cross, and also keeping your gut mains: Isospeed Classic 16, or their Professional Classic 17 (pick the gauge you prefer to use).

Isospeed Classic was my go-to for quite some time when I was having arm pain from using a stiff Wilson racquet a few years ago for just a few months.

I do agree with the poster who said racquet choice is going to affect your arm more than string choice. Now that I am back to using my extremely arm-friendly racquet (flex 58, 12 oz, headlight), I can use even poly in that one and not get any of the arm pain that I had been getting with even full gut on the racquet that killed my arm.

Gut mains with Isospeed Classic crosses = sublime comfort with amazing control. Now I typically use poly crosses, but the control with Isospeed Classic crosses was about the same. It is a low-powered multifilament, with good durability, as the crosses don't notch and fray like other multis, allowing your gut to snap back in place *almost* like poly crosses.

If you are coming back from injury, avoid poly crosses or replace them at the first sign of pain.

wmilas 02-06-2013 11:18 AM

Someone mentioned the Steam 99s. I had a bout of TE 6 months back. I had been playing with a Yonex RDiS with some stiff poly. Exercise and switching to gut mains with a multi cross, then later to gut mains with a poly crosses. Thera-band and icing after I played helped it along.

So I picked up a steam 99s when it first came out. I'm a 4.0. with a fairly fast swing. Word of caution. I can't get gut to last more than 4 hours in it. So if you are thinking of buying it because of the basalt + the open face, know that if you have a fast swing you'll have to put a full bed of poly in it.

I'm testing a full bed of Topspin cyberflash now. (its very soft). I'll see how it goes.