Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   serve practice - how often? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453686)

luvforty 02-04-2013 07:08 PM

serve practice - how often?

for regular hits, I probably serve about 50 balls during point play.

but lately have added some time designated to serves only... hit about 100 of them tonight, feels like shoulder will need a couple days rest.

what's the recommended frequency and number of serves?

Topspin Shot 02-04-2013 07:10 PM

That depends on many factors. Basically, if your arm hurts, you hit too many serves. It's counterproductive to hit 100 serves and then have to take 2 days off. You'd be better off hitting 50 serves all three days for a total of 150 serves and no pain.

_craze 02-04-2013 07:12 PM

That depends on many factors. Basically, if your arm hurts, you hit too many serves.

Or hit too many serves incorrectly. Generally speaking (maybe it isn't you), quality over quantity makes the serve.

Especially since collecting the balls afterwards is always a *****.

2ndServe 02-04-2013 07:33 PM

100 is what 1 1/3 baskets? Your arm should not be hurting after this many. Might be a mechanical issue.

TheCheese 02-04-2013 07:34 PM

It really depends on you form and fitness whether or not you get sore after serving. With proper form, you should be able to hit quite a few and be alright.

luvforty 02-04-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndServe (Post 7192054)
100 is what 1 1/3 baskets? Your arm should not be hurting after this many. Might be a mechanical issue.

I do have a slight tear in the shoulder.

I said it needs a rest... not hurting :)

mechanical issue..... sure... who doesn't lol... i am not arming it though.

zapvor 02-04-2013 08:35 PM

the better question is how to practice

Nellie 02-05-2013 06:24 AM

^^^exactly. If you watch pros practice serving, they are not hitting it 100% - rather, they are using easy, fluid motions with lots of attention to timing/form.

zapvor 02-05-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nellie (Post 7192666)
^^^exactly. If you watch pros practice serving, they are not hitting it 100% - rather, they are using easy, fluid motions with lots of attention to timing/form.

i wish i learned this earlier. stupid me serving 100 balls all wrong technique for months:(

goran_ace 02-05-2013 08:10 AM

100 in a row? Ouch. My quads are burning at the mere thought of that. At least break that up into sets of 25 to give your body some time to recover. Pushing past fatigue with 5-10 more serves is good, but hitting say 30 more serves beyond that point is when your form will break down and you start going bad things or you start putting yourself at risk for injury.

NLBwell 02-05-2013 08:24 AM

Slight tear in the shoulder is not good.

Work on making your serve as relaxed and flowing as possible. Practice making your arm feel loose like jelly and just flowing through the stroke. The arm and hand are just the tip of the whip.

If you are perfectly healthy with good form, even a few hundred serves shouldn't bother you the next day. With an injury, you must be much more careful.

luvforty 02-05-2013 08:34 AM

thanks for the inputs.... not 100 in a row lol.... 4-5 balls per batch, then walk to the other end.

slight tear - yeah, will be careful.... been there for years.

WildVolley 02-05-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7193003)
thanks for the inputs.... not 100 in a row lol.... 4-5 balls per batch, then walk to the other end.

slight tear - yeah, will be careful.... been there for years.

Take it easy and build up that shoulder. Do your thrower's 10 exercises and scapular pushups and general strength training. I was bombing serves until I injured my shoulder.

I've decided that it is usually best to work on serves a little every practice that your shoulder is healthy. But always warm up first and don't hit to many. It is also good to do a little serve practice, then work on something else (perhaps server return) and then go back to serve practice.

dr325i 02-05-2013 09:12 AM

I do the Serving and returns EVERY time I play (4 times per week): 1 hour rallies, 45 minutes serving/returns, 15 minutes cool down

Those 45 minutes I serve like we play the point (1st/2nd), then we play the full point, not calling close outs, not keeping the score, playing relaxed. I estimate I get to serve about 60-80 times, usually 50 1st and 30 2nd. Then, the opponent serves, and I practice returns for 20 min.

Sometimes, we do 10 "points" each, then we switch, about 8-10 series each.

But we practice serving EVERY time.

Since I travel a lot, Serving is the thing that goes first, and only after 4-5 days...

TennisCJC 02-05-2013 09:20 AM

I usually hit 2 to 3 hoppers in a session with a session once or twice a week - my hopper holds max 60 balls but probably around 50 in it. So, 100-150 per session.

maggmaster 02-05-2013 10:20 AM

It all depends on what type of serves I am hitting. Loose flowing topspin serves, I can hit 200 with no issues. Harder flat serves I may hit 50 and be done. Maybe less if I have done any leg work in the gym.

Relinquis 02-05-2013 11:25 AM

always, always warm up.

if you're serving from a hopper then take breaks after every 50-75 serves. a few minutes gathering balls or something that doesn't involve using your shoulder. don't start doing forehand drills. Seeing as you have had past shoulder issues, maybe the ten serves, then gather balls and switch sides is a better way. I've started doing this recently even though my shoulder is healthy as i'm playing tennis more regularly now and don't want to over-work it.

also, get a good coach to make sure that you're using the proper form. taking a video of yourself will help you identify form issues as well.

get your shoulder checked out. do you do physio?

As to how to practice, I do consistency drills and/or placement drills (splitting the service targets into three to mimic shots to the backhand, into the body and to the forehand).

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-05-2013 03:22 PM

I wouldn't do back-to-back days of serve practice. That's just me being cautious because I came back from two shoulder surgeries already (I'm 27 and I had those surgeries at ~17 and ~22)

This is just from personal experience and I would suggest the same to you guys, simulate "real" match-like stamina in your serving practices so you don't burn yourself out. That is, after X amount of serves, take a short (~10-30 seconds break). Think about it, you would never hit 20+ serve nonstop in a real match. It's 1 or 2, then play the point, and serve again.

For me, I serve out to a love game nonstop, 1st+2nd serves. So after 8 serves, I walk along the baseline for ~30seconds to give my rotator cuff muscles a rest (like they would in a real match after hitting a serve). Then back for 8 more.

I can go ~200 serves of mixed variety. But if I'm working on my kick serve, I cap it at ~75. Again, I would not do back-to-back days of serving practice.

zapvor 02-05-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7192939)
100 in a row? Ouch. My quads are burning at the mere thought of that. At least break that up into sets of 25 to give your body some time to recover. Pushing past fatigue with 5-10 more serves is good, but hitting say 30 more serves beyond that point is when your form will break down and you start going bad things or you start putting yourself at risk for injury.

well probably more like 75 but yea. the worst is my technique was ALL wrong so my shoulder is paying for it now. and my serve. good news is i was able to fix my technique so my serve is ok for now.

Tmano 02-06-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvforty (Post 7191978)
for regular hits, I probably serve about 50 balls during point play.

but lately have added some time designated to serves only... hit about 100 of them tonight, feels like shoulder will need a couple days rest.

what's the recommended frequency and number of serves?

of course your sholder is hurting you...you are just not used to serve so many serves in a raw. however your serve is probably the most important shot and practicing it often is what you have to do to get to a point in which you trust it and become really effective. I used to pratice my serve a lot maybe 3 times per week a few hundres balls......the fist sessions were brutal but then it gets better and your arm/ sholder get used to the work.