Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Question on instructions for head prestige mp. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453696)

Fr3nch 02-04-2013 09:10 PM

Question on instructions for head prestige mp.

The stringing instructions say to pull all crosses in direction of throat. What does that mean? Here are the instructions for reference. Look at "2. Cross strings".

Nuke1990 02-04-2013 10:23 PM

Don't be confused by "Tighten all 20 cross strings in direction of the racquet throat." It must be a poor translation of an original document. It does not mean that you need to pull tension on the strings in the direction of throat of the racquet. There are 2 basic ways to install cross strings in a racquet - top down or bottom up. Top down means you start the first cross string at the head/top of the racquet and you finish the last cross at the throat/bottom of the racquet. Bottom up means you start the first cross at the throat/bottom of the racquet and you finish the last cross at the head/top of the racquet. Head requires top down for the Prestige. Cross #1 should be at the top of the racquet and cross #20 should be at the throat.

Irvin 02-05-2013 01:36 AM

It means they do not want you doing any ATW patterns. All crosses should be strung from the top cross down to the bottom cross.

Lakers4Life 02-05-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7192359)
It means they do not want you doing any ATW patterns. All crosses should be strung from the top cross down to the bottom cross.

I don't know how you inferred that from: "Tie on the cross strings at hole R 33 and lace string through hole R31. Tighten all 20 cross strings in direction of racquet throat. Tie off at hole R12."

Maybe it's because he's French and new to stringing.

Irvin 02-05-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7192830)
I don't know how you inferred that from: "Tie on the cross strings at hole R 33 and lace string through hole R31. Tighten all 20 cross strings in direction of racquet throat. Tie off at hole R12."

Maybe it's because he's French and new to stringing.

I didn't. Fr3nch said, "The stringing instructions say to pull all crosses in direction of throat. What does that mean?" While not all ATW patterns string the crosses out of order from the top down some do. I guess in the strict sense of the wording they want all crosses string from the top down in order, after the mains are strung.

fortun8son 02-05-2013 08:05 PM

The instructions are a bit confusing. Post #2 is correct.(edit)

Lakers4Life 02-05-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortun8son (Post 7194704)
The instructions are a bit confusing. Post #2 is correct.
ATW on this racquet would mean bottom up crosses, so Irvin is also correct.
As far as I can tell, ATW only applies to frames where the mains end at the throat.
String a Prestige 1pc at your own risk.

The Mains end at the throat on this racket, T7. ATW is an optional pattern. Unless someone requests I string a racket ATW, I'll just do a two piece, even with the same type of string.

HEAD stringing instructions are confusing to the point they use slightly different description of the holes. Klippermate also uses T and B to describe Head and Throat.

fortun8son 02-05-2013 09:21 PM

Oops, my bad. They do, indeed, end at the throat so ATW is an option.
See, it confused me,too. :)
I, too prefer to do 2pc when the mfr says 2pc only.
I choose to follow the USRSA recommendation; "When given the choice to do 1pc or 2pc; use the method that strings top to bottom"
I've taken to using ATW/Box patterns for old Pro Kennex and Donnays, etc., but I'll usually use 2pc on Babolat and Wilson.

I do wish that all of the stringing sites would get on the same page as to how to designate the holes.