Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2013 APD Mods (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453699)

pfchang 02-04-2013 10:33 PM

2013 APD Mods
 
Hey guys,

I know there are a couple of threads out there on the APD, but I mainly have two questions for the APD users out there.

I'm about 5'10, mainly a baseline player, big serve/FH, versatile with spin and flat shots. Currently use ~12oz IGPMP with BHB7 at 50lbs. Bought the APD for fun (courtesy of Arlihawk:)), but really enjoying it, and playing better than usual. Currently strung with Head Rip Control @~60lbs.

So I was wondering if anyone had my background experience and if they have any suggestions on what worked best for them?
I'm usually not too keen on straying away from stock, but after hearing about how much better it plays, I figured I have nothing to lose.

Lastly, any string choices out there. I'm a fan of BHB7, but not really sure what tension to go with, considering how i'm used to 50lbs in a prestige. Probably try BHB7 out first, but wondering if there were any suggestions out there.

Thanks all!

-PF

El Zed 02-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfchang (Post 7192270)
Hey guys,

I know there are a couple of threads out there on the APD, but I mainly have two questions for the APD users out there.

I'm about 5'10, mainly a baseline player, big serve/FH, versatile with spin and flat shots. Currently use ~12oz IGPMP with BHB7 at 50lbs. Bought the APD for fun (courtesy of Arlihawk:)), but really enjoying it, and playing better than usual. Currently strung with Head Rip Control @~60lbs.

So I was wondering if anyone had my background experience and if they have any suggestions on what worked best for them?
I'm usually not too keen on straying away from stock, but after hearing about how much better it plays, I figured I have nothing to lose.

Lastly, any string choices out there. I'm a fan of BHB7, but not really sure what tension to go with, considering how i'm used to 50lbs in a prestige. Probably try BHB7 out first, but wondering if there were any suggestions out there.

Thanks all!

-PF

It's rather late so apologies if I don't have the specs handy, but I have a few suggestions for you. First, BHB7 17s work extremely well on this racquet. I recently strung mine at 55M/52C and I couldn't be happier with the combination of power/control/spin. Beyond that, I have added Blu Tack throughout the handle cavity, and feel that this has improved feel immeasurably. Tried it with my 2010 APD and vastly prefer it to the feel of the 2013 without. Indistinguishable otherwise, and now prefer the 2010 version. Beyond that, I have applied a liberal amount of lead from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock - resulting in a total weight of approximately 12.75 oz. Frankly speaking, it has left my beloved Pro Tours in the distant shade in terms of performance, and is only slightly off in terms of feel. I can get you the actual specs tomorrow, but can't recommend the use of Blu Tack highly enough. In all honesty, the APD below 12 oz was somewhat disappointing to me, now, its a completely different racquet - solid, stable, comfy and devastating from the baseline.

pfchang 02-04-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Zed (Post 7192287)
It's rather late so apologies if I don't have the specs handy, but I have a few suggestions for you. First, BHB7 17s work extremely well on this racquet. I recently strung mine at 55M/52C and I couldn't be happier with the combination of power/control/spin. Beyond that, I have added Blu Tack throughout the handle cavity, and feel that this has improved feel immeasurably. Tried it with my 2010 APD and vastly prefer it to the feel of the 2013 without. Indistinguishable otherwise, and now prefer the 2010 version. Beyond that, I have applied a liberal amount of lead from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock - resulting in a total weight of approximately 12.75 oz. Frankly speaking, it has left my beloved Pro Tours in the distant shade in terms of performance, and is only slightly off in terms of feel. I can get you the actual specs tomorrow, but can't recommend the use of Blu Tack highly enough. In all honesty, the APD below 12 oz was somewhat disappointing to me, now, its a completely different racquet - solid, stable, comfy and devastating from the baseline.

No need for actual specs el zed, I certainly appreciate your comments but i don't think I'll ever get to 12.75 oz haha.

It's good to hear that bhb7 works well, I was wondering what tension would work well, and I certainly don't think it would be 50 for me.

As for weight placement, your lead spanned from 10 all the way to 2?

An I'm not exactly familiar with blu tack, you'll have to enlighten me.

El Zed 02-04-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfchang (Post 7192294)
No need for actual specs el zed, I certainly appreciate your comments but i don't think I'll ever get to 12.75 oz haha.

It's good to hear that bhb7 works well, I was wondering what tension would work well, and I certainly don't think it would be 50 for me.

As for weight placement, your lead spanned from 10 all the way to 2?

An I'm not exactly familiar with blu tack, you'll have to enlighten me.

I've used a wide variety of strings on my APDs (obviously my other racquets too) and 55/52 definitely feels "right" on the APDs. Not to sound like Goldilocks, but it's firm without being stiff and plush without being mushy - and it even sounds good. Whatever you string at, definitely recommend leaving a few lbs. between the mains and crosses...

As to lead placement, yes, from 10 to 2 on both edges of the frame (preferably with the 1/4 in. strips). First layer is full length, but you can ease up on subsequent layers to focus upon 12 o'clock if you're looking for a more polarized setup (which I find helps RHS, and derivatively spin). The more weight you put on this racquet, the more it rewards you - especially if you're a modern western grip/wind-shield wiper guy. Further, I think you'll be surprised how comfortable 12.5+ oz. feels on this racquet...

Blu Tack is an alternative to silicone. It's denser, almost like modeling clay or play-doh. You can form it how you want, and it's easily removable (unlike silicone). To me, this transforms the racquet. With Blu Tack, the APD feels close to my Pro Tours and noticeably better than some of the silicone-infused Head pro stocks that i've tried. Unwanted vibrations are eliminated, and you still maintain feel for touch (this frankly gives rise to my preference of the 2010 APD relative to the 2013). I'd venture to say that a handle full of blue tack, should get you to about 12 oz. strung.

Please let me know if you have any other questions; always happy to help. :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse