Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Murray Calls For More Blood Doping Tests (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453702)

raging 02-05-2013 12:08 AM

Murray Calls For More Blood Doping Tests

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21330805

IT looks like this is gaining momentum...
some players do want increased blood testing.
It seems to be all about the cost of testing.

Tennis_Hands 02-05-2013 01:10 AM

Paullaconte1 02-05-2013 01:23 AM

I think it's PR related...

The_Order 02-05-2013 01:25 AM

Wow why would he want this, isn't it obvious that he's been taking something I mean he did outlast Federer in 5 sets in a major sf....

*Sparkle* 02-05-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paullaconte1 (Post 7192335)
I think it's PR related...

That's one of his arguments - if you read the interview. That in light of the Armstrong scandal, people are going to start assuming the worst of other sports, and so even if you are convinced your own sport is clean, it's important to the longer term image of the sport to demonstrate it is, so it is financially advantageous for authorities to grasp the nettle now.

Or are you just someone who wants to complain, and being annoyed that you can't complain about what has been said, are moaning about something else.

Do you agree or disagree with the suggestions? And if you do, does it matter if it is PR? And why shouldn't tennis players worry about the image of their profession being tarnished?

Prisoner of Birth 02-05-2013 01:48 AM

Honestly, I'd be suspicious of players who don't call for more testing at this point. Those who are clean would be offended by the suspicion towards them and would want it lessened, at least.

SteveI 02-05-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prisoner of Birth (Post 7192346)
Honestly, I'd be suspicious of players who don't call for more testing at this point. Those who are clean would be offended by the suspicion towards them and would want it lessened, at least.

I am sure Rafa is not calling for more testing!!

Prisoner of Birth 02-05-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7192349)

He's had enough testing. And he has said he's happy about there being more tests.

The_Order 02-05-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7192349)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453481

jwbarrientos 02-05-2013 03:05 AM

It is about decision and determination, cost?? come on.

Even that, what if they don't preserve samples? what if in 5 years time was discover that a former GS' champion had something?

Andre wrote a book saying I had some drugs but nothing happened in ATP/ITF.

The issue is very complex and demanding.

Nice attitude of Andy calling for more, but I thing they (players) should call for smarter tests to avoid be cheating.

kalyan4fedever 02-05-2013 03:46 AM

he is suspecting djoker or it became a trend now that if he mentions it no one gonna suspect him ?

Tennis_Hands 02-05-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7192404)
he is suspecting djoker or it became a trend now that if he mentions it no one gonna suspect him ?

He is trolling Humbalito.

vive le beau jeu ! 02-05-2013 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennis_Hands (Post 7192417)
He is trolling Humbalito.

weren't the muzzette and the nadal supposed to be kinda 'buddies' before ?

there must be a reason for all this...
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...c00a6fcc81.aa1

mariecon 02-05-2013 04:34 AM

the testing is a joke. It makes him look good asking for more testing but he knows it makes no difference. I wouldn't even be surprised if the ITF put him up to this.

Sentinel 02-05-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7192404)

Maybe he is suspecting that geriatric anaemic man who was coming off a vacation and took Andy to five sets playing his worst game, while Andy was in the form of his life looking like Hulk Hogan. :)

gavna 02-05-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwbarrientos (Post 7192377)
It is about decision and determination, cost?? come on.

Even that, what if they don't preserve samples? what if in 5 years time was discover that a former GS' champion had something?

Andre wrote a book saying I had some drugs but nothing happened in ATP/ITF.

The issue is very complex and demanding.

Nice attitude of Andy calling for more, but I thing they (players) should call for smarter tests to avoid be cheating.

The drugs taken i thought were of the recreation kind......coke, pot, meth.....
Totally different animal than using performance enhances -

I also thought that the WADA tests tennis players on a regular basis with surprise visits - players must advise where they are and where they are going and will be tested anytime. Tipsy even blogged about having to wake up at 6am for a test whilst on holiday last year. I didn't think the WADA took crap for any federation.

mariecon 02-05-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7192474)
The drugs taken i thought were of the recreation kind......coke, pot, meth.....
Totally different animal than using performance enhances -

I also thought that the WADA tests tennis players on a regular basis with surprise visits - players must advise where they are and where they are going and will be tested anytime. Tipsy even blogged about having to wake up at 6am for a test whilst on holiday last year. I didn't think the WADA took crap for any federation.

yes but they're allowed to miss 2 tests OOC in an 18 month period. Which basically means if they come knocking and it's not a good day for you, you just don't answer (or hide in your panic room).

SLD76 02-05-2013 06:42 AM

Like I said in another thread, Rafa and Murray were the most vocal top players to complain about the whereabouts rule and testing frequency...

now Murray wants more frequent tests including blood testing and Rafa has no problem with weekly controls.

Complete 180. This Armstrong thing has really shaken the tree.

Vrad 02-05-2013 06:43 AM

All these guys, who were once adamant about how doping testing was ruining their private lives (Nadal and Murray in particular) must have been told by their PR people to go out of their way to ask for more testing in public, post the Lance Armstrong "revelations" (probably not the right word, since non-***** have known he was doping for a long while).

This is nothing more than a PR exercise because their earlier statements look so ridiculous (and frankly, suspicious).

Vrad 02-05-2013 06:47 AM

If tennis was serious about fighting doping, they would have biological passports, and retain blood samples for 10 years, retesting them every 5 years.

The enforcers will always be behind the cheats. This allows the anti-drug people to discover the cheats at least in hindsight, when the players can be stripped of their titles, and sued to recover some of the prize money. Also, if that happens, I am sure sponsors will add clauses to contracts stating that they can recover their money if the athlete is found doing drugs.

The doping issue will simply disappear, because the probability of being caught will be much higher, and the consequences really bad.