Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Manner in how to toss the ball. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453705)

dlam 02-04-2013 11:28 PM

Manner in how to toss the ball.
 
Serving well a month ago but lately I been too irratic with my toss
Sometimes I tend to be a bit to parabolic on my toss from the ad side and have to reach way to far behind my head
I started to bounce the ball with my left hand to set some rhythm and as I get ready to toss I ready to grip the ball with my left index , middle finger and thumb and allow my arm to be neutral so that my palm faces parralel to my body rather than to much upward to the sky nor to much downward to the ground.

This routine has seem to help my serving consistency from the ad side.

On the deuce side ,instead of turning my arm in an externally rotated manner , I rotated my torso clockwise (when view from the top )
This routine sets me up at the exact body position as when I serve from the ad side. However I feel that my release can messed up if I toss using the same fingers. So it feels more comfortable and confident when I palm the ball and release the ball non ice cream style.

LeeD 02-05-2013 01:46 PM

Duh.........

TheCheese 02-05-2013 09:24 PM

Yeah, I think the Fed style toss is better as well. Less chance of throwing at a sideways angle.

dlam 02-08-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCheese (Post 7194824)
Yeah, I think the Fed style toss is better as well. Less chance of throwing at a sideways angle.

Yea I agree
Palming the ball causes me to "toss"
If I hold the ball Fed style similiar to ice cream cone then I feel like I actually "place and lift" the ball exactly where I want it
There is no feeling of toss or throw of the ball
Hence more consistent serves
Also the effort feels more efficient and my serve can last for hours and feel stronger with repetition

The Meat 02-08-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7199523)
Yea I agree
Palming the ball causes me to "toss"
If I hold the ball Fed style similiar to ice cream cone then I feel like I actually "place and lift" the ball exactly where I want it
There is no feeling of toss or throw of the ball
Hence more consistent serves
Also the effort feels more efficient and my serve can last for hours and feel stronger with repetition

You should try holding the ball out in front of you with the racquet in the other hand also in front of you, bring the ball and tap your leading hip and throw up with a straight arm. It helped me get a consistent toss.

dlam 02-08-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7199537)
You should try holding the ball out in front of you with the racquet in the other hand also in front of you, bring the ball and tap your leading hip and throw up with a straight arm. It helped me get a consistent toss.

I like to press the ball against the racket or press the racket against the ball to start the serving motion.
This gets my arms to work in synch rather than independently


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse