Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The India Federation is hopeless (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453709)

Paullaconte1 02-05-2013 02:57 AM

The India Federation is hopeless

How far they can go with all this controversy?

Wouldn't it be better to start from scratch?

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis...cle4379479.ece

SLD76 02-05-2013 06:46 AM

No offense to Senti and Tushar....what isnt corrupt in India?

Police and political system is broken.

One party has taken to giving women box cutters and red pepper powder to fend off sexual assaults because women arent safe walking the streets.

Is anyone really shocked at this?

As a woman, I dont care if you gave me the Taj Mahal, you couldnt pay me to visit India.

Again, no offense to Sentinel and Tushar.

kalyan4fedever 02-05-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192599)

One party has taken to giving women box cutters and red pepper powder to fend off sexual assaults because women arent safe walking the streets.

As a woman, I dont care if you gave me the Taj Mahal, you couldnt pay me to visit India.

Lol, there is a myth surrounding taj mahal too ..

gsharma 02-05-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192599)

Are you Indian or of Indian descent? Sounds like you are.

SLD76 02-05-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharma (Post 7192636)
Are you Indian or of Indian descent? Sounds like you are.

no im not but I can read a newspaper.

Im of human descent.

forzamilan90 02-05-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192644)

Im of human descent.

So refreshing to find out a human is on the board. With troll-goblin kin like *** army running rampant on the forums, I had almost lost hope

gsharma 02-05-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192644)

Im of human descent.

Oh I see. Media is always correct and unbiased, I guess. After all, it was also claimed that Iraq had WMD. I can go on.

Not saying there isn't a problem but women get assaulted in this country all the time. Maybe you should just stay inside your house and post on TT.

SLD76 02-05-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharma (Post 7192696)
Oh I see. Media is always correct and unbiased, I guess. After all, it was also claimed that Iraq had WMD. I can go on.

Not saying there isn't a problem but women get assaulted in this country all the time. Maybe you should just stay inside your house and post on TT.

**** is a problem worldwide its true.

but I can walk down the street without fear of being gang ra ped or eve teased.

In one week I read 10 different stories of women aged 5 yrs old to 45 being ra ped and/or gang ra ped, and in 3 of those cases the women(usually the young girls) were also killed.

What about the incident of the woman walking home and attacked in the streets by a mob of men while a news team taped the incident , this was last summer.

I suppose the random protests over the dehli case were imaginary too?

Andres 02-05-2013 07:46 AM

10 different stories a week in a country with 1,300,000,000 people.

SLD76 02-05-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andres (Post 7192713)
10 different stories a week in a country with 1,300,000,000 people.

collateral damage?

gsharma 02-05-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192709)

In one week I read 10 different stories of women aged 5 yrs old to 45 being ra ped and/or gang ra ped, and in 3 of those cases the women(usually the young girls) were also killed.

What about the incident of the woman walking home and attacked in the streets by a mob of men while a news team taped the incident , this was last summer.

Why don't you try walking down the street in Newark at night and come back to me? I have lived in NJ so try fooling someone else.

I never said there isn't a problem. I said you can't pretend to know it like it really is sitting in your house reading foreign newspapers.

Or go ahead, continue doing that and take a walk in Newark, Edison etc. and let us know how safe you feel.

SLD76 02-05-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharma (Post 7192736)
Why don't you try walking down the street in Newark at night and come back to me? I have lived in NJ so try fooling someone else.

I never said there isn't a problem. I said you can't pretend to know it like it really is sitting in your house reading foreign newspapers.

Or go ahead, continue doing that and take a walk in Newark, Edison etc. and let us know how safe you feel.

Please, I have lived in Newark and no its not common for groups of men to walk up to a woman and fondle her as they please. Crime, shootings, car jackings, even **** sure. Eve teasing no. And its funny you pick one of the most dangerous cities in the country, when this problem in India is widespread covering the cities and the countryside.

and I dont pretend to know from articles. I also take the time to read the comments sections.

I once spent an afternoon reading of hundreds of comments from Times of India, Hindu Times etc. Comments of people actually living in india. it was very illuminating. I read complaints of how the court system is aj oke, the police are only there to protect the very wealthy and politicians are corrupt. There was a lot of vitriol it seemd towards sheila dixit and sonia ghandi and thier hypocracy towards women's issues, especially miss dixit's pardoning of apparent known rapists.

The newspapaer doesnt tell the whole story, but you can learn alot of what is really happening from the comments section. Now if one or a few people say it, ok fine. But when I see people making the same sort of statements in different articles over and over again, where there is smoke there is fire, no?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/in...-survey-112349

nope, no problem here.

gsharma 02-05-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192768)
Please, I have lived in Newark and no its not common for groups of men to walk up to a woman and fondle her as they please. Crime, shootings, car jackings, even **** sure. Eve teasing no. And its funny you pick one of the most dangerous cities in the country, when this problem in India is widespread covering the cities and the countryside.

and I dont pretend to know from articles. I also take the time to read the comments sections.

I once spent an afternoon reading of hundreds of comments from Times of India, Hindu Times etc. Comments of people actually living in india. it was very illuminating. I read complaints of how the court system is aj oke, the police are only there to protect the very wealthy and politicians are corrupt. There was a lot of vitriol it seemd towards sheila dixit and sonia ghandi and thier hypocracy towards women's issues, especially miss dixit's pardoning of apparent known rapists.

The newspapaer doesnt tell the whole story, but you can learn alot of what is really happening from the comments section. Now if one or a few people say it, ok fine. But when I see people making the same sort of statements in different articles over and over again, where there is smoke there is fire, no?

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/in...-survey-112349

nope, no problem here.

Hahaha, you are one of those who reads comments and makes inferences based on that limited data set. There goes the theory of statistics.

Based on your logic, the comments I read on CNN after the Newtown massacre would imply all Americans are heartless gun-trotting nut jobs.

I'm repeating this for the third time, in case you didn't see it - I never said there isn't a problem but reading newspapers will never give you the true story.

Put your money where you mouth is - walk late at night in Edison, Newark and let's know how you feel. You want to talk about safety in India then go visit. Don't sit here and preach based on some newspaper comments.

SLD76 02-05-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharma (Post 7192810)
Hahaha, you are one of those who reads comments and makes inferences based on that limited data set. There goes the theory of statistics.

Based on your logic, the comments I read on CNN after the Newtown massacre would imply all Americans are heartless gun-trotting nut jobs.

I'm repeating this for the third time, in case you didn't see it - I never said there isn't a problem but reading newspapers will never give you the true story.

Put your money where you mouth is - walk late at night in Edison, Newark and let's know how you feel. You want to talk about safety in India then go visit. Don't sit here and preach based on some newspaper comments.

But america DOES have alot of people who go batshyt crazy at the thought of someone limiting their ability to own an ak 47 for recreation.

Thats not media spin, thats a fact of this country. A month after the newton shooting there were 500 deaths nationwide due to gun violence. Just last week alone 6 people were shot at gun shows. Some wackadoo spoke before congress said women need access to ak 47s for personal defense. I mean...what the heck is that???? I got into an argument with an acquaintance just last week who argued we needed unrestricted access to firearms in case we need to fight the government when anyone with sense can tell you the average person is no match for a well armed, well trained army with the latest satellite, drone and spy technology within easy access. But this guy was dead serious!

Gun culture is DEEPLY embedded in this country.

If I can admit that about the US why cant you admit that India has aproblem with the way it treats women?
US also has a terrible issue of **** in the military and **** when it comes to athletes.
the stuebenville ohio case is sickening.

LOL, I already told you I LIVED in newark, I dotn have a damn thing to prove.

Right, cuz 1000 articles all saying india has a ra pe epidemic, problem is all lies and media spin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=InDi...ient=firefox-a

Start da Game 02-05-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192709)

losing virginity even before hitting 13, unprotected sex as early as in high school, usage of drugs, thousands of rapes which are solved outside the courts through monetary settlements (effectively nothing but costly prostitution) etc.. are all characteristics of a noble nation i guess.......

gsharma 02-05-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192828)
But america DOES have alot of people who go batshyt crazy at the thought of someone limiting their ability to own an ak 47 for recreation.

Thats not media spin, thats a fact of this country. A month after the newton shooting there were 500 deaths nationwide due to gun violence. Just last week alone 6 people were shot at gun shows. Some wackadoo spoke before congress said women need access to ak 47s for personal defense. I mean...what the heck is that????

Gun culture is DEEPLY embedded in this country.

If I can admit that about the US why cant you admit that India has aproblem with the way it treats women?

I guess you really can't read, so I apologize. Go read my last comment above and I've highlighted relevant parts for your convenience.

And no, it is not OK stereotyping people, whether Americans or Indians. You want to talk about India, first go visit. Don't sit here and read some comments on websites and then preach to us.

SLD76 02-05-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Start da Game (Post 7192832)
losing virginity even before hitting 13, unprotected sex as early as in high school, usage of drugs, thousands of rapes which are solved outside the courts through monetary settlements (effectively nothing but costly prostitution) etc.. are all characteristics of a noble nation i guess.......

yes, because Im sure you live in a magical land where no one has sex before marriage.

when did I ever say the US was perfect???

SLD76 02-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharma (Post 7192839)
I guess you really can't read, so I apologize. Go read my last comment above and I've highlighted relevant parts for your convenience.

And no, it is not OK stereotyping people, whether Americans or Indians. You want to talk about India, first go visit. Don't sit here and read some comments on websites and then preach to us.

No a newspaper doesnt give a full story, but surely where there is smoke there is fire no? Surely people who live and work in the country can give you insight about whats going on, no?

And when you have a report saying India is the 4th most dangerous place in the world for women...surely there is something afoot???

Polaris 02-05-2013 08:49 AM

gsharma and SLD76, I grew up in India and spent the first 20 years of my life there, so for what it is worth, here is my perspective:

(a) In rural and urban sections of society, where the level of education is low, the situation of women is quite bad. There isn't much revolt because many people - men and women - think that the status quo is just how things have always been and will always be, and they, unfortunately, do not know of a different state of society.

(b) In the more educated families, the situation of women is better. However, deep-seated prejudices linger in many of us, some of them have been passed down unchallenged through the generations via religion, caste, etc. Blind acceptance of these deep-seated prejudices explain stupid utterances like "They should dress conservatively", "They should not go out at night", etc. Sometimes, as when a mother utters this to her child, it is out of genuine worry, but when a police chief claims this as a remedy for the situation, it is distressing to hear.

(c) It is unfortunate and shameful that it took a ghastly event like the one in Delhi to shake up the people's conscience. Even worse, I have been saddened by the response. Instead of carefully looking within ourselves, facing up to our cultural problems, and abandoning regressive and harmful aspects of it, the people have turned rage outward. The mob seems to have taken over, people ask for everything from public hangings to evisceration of the rapists. Unfortunately, making an example of someone by means of brutal punishment isn't the solution.

It is true that law enforcement is lacking, the police are callous, and the politicians are unconcerned. However, the problem is systemic and it will take a long, hard look at ourselves to address it. These are not just India's problems, and I guess, they exist in much of the developing (and some of the developed) world. SLD76, I wouldn't paint India with such a broad brush and say that it is not worth visiting. India is a country of mindboggling extremes of good and bad, and though I didn't realize it when I was growing up, it took several years of living in other (more homogeneous) parts of the world to understand that this is the case.

gsharma 02-05-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7192858)
No a newspaper doesnt give a full story, but surely where there is smoke there is fire no? Surely people who live and work in the country can give you insight about whats going on, no?

And when you have a report saying India is the 4th most dangerous place in the world for women...surely there is something afoot???

I don't have time to endlessly argue with you but you don't have any credibility on this issue. You want credibility, go visit India or STOP preaching.

India is the 4th most dangerous place for women? I guess India is more dangerous than Congo, Chad, Sudan or even Syria where **** is used as an instrument of power. That's four countries for you. So much for surveys.