Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   2013 USTA Adult Realignment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453720)

b33rfairy 02-05-2013 04:56 AM

2013 USTA Adult Realignment

This has a been a total nightmare for us playas in Tallahassee, FL. I am a 55+ player in all levels 18+, 40+, mixed etc. Please share your thoughts on how it is effecting you. Very, very curious...

schmke 02-05-2013 06:58 AM

The USTA changes the age groups to allow you to play 3 rather than 2 leagues and you are complaining? Can you at least elaborate on how it is a nightmare for you?

Cindysphinx 02-05-2013 07:34 AM

It hasn't been great for me, honestly.

The league decided to have 40+ take the place of seniors for the January-April season. Seniors was three courts; 40+ requires five.

Trouble is, it is freezing outside. It is not possible to find indoor space at this time of year, especially if you need five courts. The need for five courts means that several conveniently-located facilities cannot be used at all because they have 3-4 courts.

The result is that *all* of our matches for our 40+ team begin at 9 pm on weeknights. Worse, the locations are quite far away. This makes life very difficult for the working women, as it is no fun to arrive home at 11:30 and have to get up the next morning. I have heard of a few women dropping off of their teams for precisely this reason.

Rather than have this new league structure, I think USTA should have kept seniors exactly as it was (or lower the age limit -- who cares?). It should have introduced a new seniors singles league of three courts.

Singles players would get to play against those of their age, while the need for five courts would be eliminated.

b33rfairy 02-05-2013 09:09 AM

If your 55 YEAH its not bad, but not all 55s enjoy playing 25 yr old kids, in fact they don't enjoy playing against 30-40s either in many cases. Prior to 2013 people from age 49+ could play SRs which provided more players in that division. Now those players 49-54 can't play there. That is a huge chunk of our available SR players, esp. when ur in a small town. So not only do we have to scrounge for 54+ players, they have to be 4.0s - if we recruit 3.5s we must meet the 25/75 rule, so the best ones are taken early if you don't jump on them. Agreed Cindysphinx, they should've left us alone.

Spokewench 02-05-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7192842)
It hasn't been great for me, honestly.

The league decided to have 40+ take the place of seniors for the January-April season. Seniors was three courts; 40+ requires five.

Trouble is, it is freezing outside. It is not possible to find indoor space at this time of year, especially if you need five courts. The need for five courts means that several conveniently-located facilities cannot be used at all because they have 3-4 courts.

The result is that *all* of our matches for our 40+ team begin at 9 pm on weeknights. Worse, the locations are quite far away. This makes life very difficult for the working women, as it is no fun to arrive home at 11:30 and have to get up the next morning. I have heard of a few women dropping off of their teams for precisely this reason.

Rather than have this new league structure, I think USTA should have kept seniors exactly as it was (or lower the age limit -- who cares?). It should have introduced a new seniors singles league of three courts.

Singles players would get to play against those of their age, while the need for five courts would be eliminated.

I am the league coordinator in a rural district. Seniors was my best league for turnout. Now, I could not even find two teams to play 40+ at this time of year. It is cold, wet, snowing and we don't have enough courts for a court league this time of year. Doesn't work for me.

Cindysphinx 02-05-2013 03:05 PM

I am currently on four teams (ladies day, 8.0 mixed, ladies 40+ and 7.5 ladies combo).

Next January, I will almost certainly drop the 40+ league. Won't captain, won't play.

Of the four leagues, 40+ is without question the most difficult to captain and to play (because of the inconvenient match times). Captaining five courts and needing to find singles players is a huge bummer.

Not doing 40+ will make it nigh on impossible for me to scrounge around and find players so I can captain a spring adult team. So I might have to give that up also.

Thanks for nothing, USTA.

floridatennisdude 02-05-2013 03:23 PM

We had to start the 1st week of January for adult. I'm under 40 so this is my only go around til the fall. Could play mixed, but the heat of the summer in Florida isn't when I want to be at the mercy of a league schedule.

So, ultimately, I had to play my first league matches a week after the holidays after not really playing for a couple weeks. Put myself back in full on tennis mode (3-4 days/week) and hurt myself by the end of the month.

So for a couple reasons I'm not happy. 1) playing league right after the holidays and 2) a large break from league until I'll play again (normally 3 mos, now 6 mos).

Definitely wish we would've played the seniors and 40s first. But, then again, those folks might be worn out after that and tough to get fired up for adult. The whole thin stinks IMO.

dizzlmcwizzl 02-05-2013 04:10 PM

Here ... the majority of the 18+ players were in their 40's and 50's. Except for singles of course.

As soon as the 40+ field opened up about half of the existing 18+ captains declared they would be captaining 40+ team and not their 18+ teams.

We just had the captains meeting and it conservatively looks like there will be the same total number of teams as before, however, there will be about half as many of the 18+ teams there used to be. Right now, a lot of players that want to play 18+ are scrambling to find a team to play on.

Fortunately we do not play any adult same gender tennis in the winter. Almost all of our adult tennis is played outside in the spring/summer on public courts and we have enough to go around. So hopefully courts will not be the problem.

sureshs 02-05-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7194148)
I am currently on four teams (ladies day, 8.0 mixed, ladies 40+ and 7.5 ladies combo).

That is a professional recreational player

Cindysphinx 02-05-2013 08:01 PM

Two years ago, I was on five January teams (adding in 7.0 mixed). It was no fun at all. I was pulling my hair out trying to keep up with where I was supposed to be.

Maui19 02-06-2013 04:10 AM

I live in an area where there are a lot of geezers (including me). Personally, I like the realignment because the 40+ leagues allows me to play with younger (and more mobile) players without having to go up against the 24 year old bombers. That said, there appears to be a notable shift of players to the older leagues. The spring 18+ and 40+ leagues are down by more than 50%, and the 55+ is way up.

gmatheis 02-06-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7194148)

Next January, I will almost certainly drop the 40+ league. Won't captain, won't play.

Of the four leagues, 40+ is without question the most difficult to captain and to play (because of the inconvenient match times). Captaining five courts and needing to find singles players is a huge bummer.

Not doing 40+ will make it nigh on impossible for me to scrounge around and find players so I can captain a spring adult team. So I might have to give that up also.

Thanks for nothing, USTA.

You have mized , combo, and regular all running at once?

Here spring is regular , I think mixed is in the summer and fall is combo so they ony time they cross is when you go to sectionals/nationals (maybe states not sure)

duketennisgal 02-06-2013 06:59 AM

From what I'm seeing, it's hurting the 18 - 40 range, at least in my area. In the past we've had 5, 4.5 women's teams, now with the new divisions we only have 3 in the 18+ and one of those teams is 50% 4.0s. There is a large number of very competitive 4.5 women in their early 40's and a majority of them have decided to only play in the 40+ league to better the chances outside of the local league season.

Angle Queen 02-06-2013 07:46 AM

We've been down this path several times over the past year. See these threads:

USTA Restructuring leagues in 2013

2013 League Restucturing (sic)

New USTA changes (whats your season looking like)

We've yet to start 40+ in our area...since they've made the crazy decision to play it in July and August (in the same months and day/time slots as Combo). While I think some of my (age) peers may have warmed to playing in it, it remains to be seen how many teams can reliably field two singles lines in the heat of summer or how many facilities can block off adequate courts for the increased match lines.

I am still going to sit it out.

Cindysphinx 02-06-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmatheis (Post 7195220)
You have mized , combo, and regular all running at once?

Here spring is regular , I think mixed is in the summer and fall is combo so they ony time they cross is when you go to sectionals/nationals (maybe states not sure)

Yes. If I wanted, I could play on seven teams right now: 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 mixed, 7.5, 8.5 combo, ladies day and 40+.

That is just for my local league. I could also pay in Virginia and dc.

jk175d 02-08-2013 10:54 AM

I think it doesn't make any sense in smaller markets. We had six 4.5 men's spring teams last year, this year looks like only 3 (18 and over). The 40 and over has only 2. How is this supposed to be a good thing?

SuperJimmy 02-08-2013 11:25 AM

Horrible. At 4.5, last year, our season went from Feb-early June. We had 15 teams split among 3 flights and we played each team in our flight twice. I would have preferred just two flights and playing each team twice...but 8 matches is still something.

This year, with the 40+ league, the 18+ division has 13 teams split among 2 flights and the season got shortened to only 2 months (ends in March, so the 40+ can start soon after) so we only play each team once. Our flight is the one with 6 teams...so we get a whole...5 matches...whoop-dee-doo.

I am jealous of the 4.5 18+ teams up north in Washington. 12 teams, 1 flight, and their season lasts through May.

We want to play more matches!

tinyman 02-08-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duketennisgal (Post 7195391)
From what I'm seeing, it's hurting the 18 - 40 range, at least in my area. In the past we've had 5, 4.5 women's teams, now with the new divisions we only have 3 in the 18+ and one of those teams is 50% 4.0s. There is a large number of very competitive 4.5 women in their early 40's and a majority of them have decided to only play in the 40+ league to better the chances outside of the local league season.

We're similar; 18-40 players just can't play when 18+/40+ is active. There is no 18+ league, and the 3.5 mens section was eliminated - so anyone under 40 is resigned to mixed doubles (the side that the 'regular' 3.5/4.0 men won't even touch), and the current 3.5 40+'s are getting slaughtered at 4.0 (I've been watching their match scores, and it's not pretty). The 40+ members all wanted to play a 40+ league, and so the captains sign up that way. The 4.0 mens is nothing short of a joke from what I've seen this season.

Some clubs simply aren't putting up teams, because they don't have enough 40+ people who can do singles - they've got people under 40 who are willing, but the 18+ league that would have let them play is dead. One at our (3.5) level is that way - unsure if they will return in Spring. We may have just lost 1 of 4 teams.

It's kind of ironic, being one of the 'young' guys on our team - at almost every match, I get an earful of complaints that younger guys aren't interested in joining the adult leagues, so it just keeps shrinking and shrinking. But then, anyone under 40 is excluded; and 3.5, our entry level league, is gone. But, SPRING is coming and 18+ are graciously allowed back in to play! No more mixed, no more mixed!

bruintennis 02-08-2013 02:25 PM

It's been interesting. More teams, so less playing time for each team. More variety and scheduling.

b33rfairy 02-09-2013 02:14 PM

I'm playin 2 55s mixed 7.0/8.0 and mens now (2 teams ea.), the men 18s just started (2 teams) the 40s start in april with 3 teams at this point. We used to have twice as many teams previous years. I'm gonna give it one more year and then start some SERIOUS *****in...