Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Does Davis Cup need an overhaul? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453843)

Jeffrey573639 02-06-2013 12:29 AM

Does Davis Cup need an overhaul?

Obviously a lot of players choose not to play it due to the difficult nature of the tour including top plays like Fed and Muzza. I've heard a suggestion where the Davis cup becomes compressed into a single event much like the Rhyder Cup for golf or the World Table Tennis Championships and plays almost like a WTF for teams i.e. lots of sponsors, one venue which changes every half a decade or so, perhaps 2 or 3 weeks etc.
Opinions?

Relinquis 02-06-2013 12:36 AM

one of the good things about Davis cup is that it is over so many different venues. a lot of fans in different cities get to see top players compete for their countries.

not everyone lives in London, New York, Paris and Australia.

akind 02-06-2013 02:04 AM

I suggest ITF to give more ranking points for every player who win a DC match in a tie, perhaps 1500 ranking points for a tie. So, each time they win one or two matches in a tie, they will get 1500 points. This will make Federer and other DC skipper to think twice before they skip DC, and lower rank players will have a great chance to climb up the ranking.

axel89 02-06-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7194941)
one of the good things about Davis cup is that it is over so many different venues. a lot of fans in different cities get to see top players compete for their countries.

where are the hards courts and claycourts?

chalkflewup 02-06-2013 03:48 AM

The casual fan doesn't understand Davis Cup so nobody follows it. One doubles only match on Saturday doesn't work. I was in Jacksonville all weekend and about 3,400 people attended, embarrassing for the city. A few ideas to stimulate interest...

1. Make it a 2 week event hosted at multiple locations within one country (a la March Madness).
2. Change the format from best out of 5 sets to best of 3.
3. Make finals best of 5.

Bartelby 02-06-2013 03:56 AM

The ATP runs the rankings system and they have been more generous to the competition of late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akind (Post 7194995)
I suggest ITF to give more ranking points for every player who win a DC match in a tie, perhaps 1500 ranking points for a tie. So, each time they win one or two matches in a tie, they will get 1500 points. This will make Federer and other DC skipper to think twice before they skip DC, and lower rank players will have a great chance to climb up the ranking.

Bartelby 02-06-2013 04:00 AM

They could run it like the Hopman Cup with eight teams that play in two groups with semi finals and finals.

Two best of three set singles and one doubles played in one day with a rest day to follow.

It should be in a different city every year if that can be organised.

If it follows the tour finals in London it would be the national team finals.

mariecon 02-06-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akind (Post 7194995)

WHAT? You can't give the same weight to a DC tie that you give to winning the WTF without dropping a match. That's crazy talk man!:???:

mariecon 02-06-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalkflewup (Post 7195074)
The casual fan doesn't understand Davis Cup so nobody follows it. One doubles only match on Saturday doesn't work. I was in Jacksonville all weekend and about 3,400 people attended, embarrassing for the city. A few ideas to stimulate interest...

1. Make it a 2 week event hosted at multiple locations within one country (a la March Madness).
2. Change the format from best out of 5 sets to best of 3.
3. Make finals best of 5.

I agree with #2 and #3 but not #1. The tennis calendar is already packed enough. There is no 2 week period where they could fit it in. The schedule has become even more compressed in the past year since some players complained that the off-season was too short. So they shortened the season. Players are more concerned with their personal seasons than this team event so it's never going to be a priority for the top players. Tennis is an individual sport. The only reason many players play is to qualify for the Olympics, which is evident in how many top players are skipping this year. It won't be necessary to play until next year in order to fill Olympics requirements.

Goosehead 02-06-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7194941)

its like in the old days in centuries gone by when the circus used to come to town..someday its gonna be in an area near you.

ollinger 02-06-2013 05:27 AM

I never really got the whole idea of trying to turn an individual sport into a team sport. WTT and Davis Cup both seem a little silly to me. I say eliminate the ties altogether and award the cup as follows: use the year end rankings of, let's say, the top 200 players and award points as follows: 200 points to the number one, 199 points to the number two, all the way down to 1 point for the 200th ranked player. Add up the points for the five players from each country with the most points (or fewer if there aren't five players in the top 200). Country with the most total points for its five top players is awarded the Davis Cup.

ollinger 02-06-2013 05:34 AM

(note: I'd just as soon eliminate the Cup altogether but the traditionalists would never tolerate that)

Bartelby 02-06-2013 05:40 AM

Davis Cup plays a rather vital role as an incubator of tennis talent, so eliminating it would have that ill effect.

Flash O'Groove 02-06-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7195192)
I never really got the whole idea of trying to turn an individual sport into a team sport. WTT and Davis Cup both seem a little silly to me. I say eliminate the ties altogether and award the cup as follows: use the year end rankings of, let's say, the top 200 players and award points as follows: 200 points to the number one, 199 points to the number two, all the way down to 1 point for the 200th ranked player. Add up the points for the five players from each country with the most points (or fewer if there aren't five players in the top 200). Country with the most total points for its five top players is awarded the Davis Cup.

Spain: 926
France: 908
USA: 843

I don't bother to count other countries as the top-5 of these 3 country is by fat better ranked than the top-5 of any other country. Not very interesting.

tacou 02-06-2013 07:56 AM

This pops up 4 times a year with the same suggestions. I will only say that

1) DC should be 0 points...every tournament features players from all around the globe; DC would quickly become just a regular old tournament if it started giving out Masters-level points.

2) While many top players skip it, DC often produces some of the highest quality matches of the year and is a pressure cooker from the first point of the opening round. People who say "DC is dead" and "Players don't care about DC anymore" are crazy. A guy like Federer might not value it, but most players will not even reach a slam final, let alone win double digits. For them, winning DC is a much more attainable goal and they fight hard for it.

3) While I really like the idea of an every 4 years, two week tournament, I don't think that will happen any time soon, if ever. They should at least make DC every other year though, that might be enough to stir up some more interest/coverage. Marat Safin said it best--You win Davis Cup in November, and then two months later you are back in the first round. No one even remembers who won last. It's like a continuous tournament.

Relinquis 02-06-2013 09:04 AM

Davis cup has some great tennis. I think the current format contributes to it.

Wawrinka Vs. Berdych was more fun than nearly all of the Australian Open matches. Maybe only the Wawrina/Djokovic and Federer/Tsonga matches were as engaging in terms of the quality tennis played.

*Sparkle* 02-06-2013 09:52 AM

I think you'd convince more top players to commit to Davis Cup if all rounds, bar the finals, were best of three. The prospect of a couple of tough five-setters is a risk, especially if you still have to rely on the performance of others to progress to the next round anyway.

I agree that it's a good opportunity for lower-ranked, up and coming players to get some top level experience, and moving it around lets non-traditional venues in on the action, which is all very valuable.

Unfortunately, for some players, especially those from countries that will never win the Davis Cup (or have done so regularly in the past), it's no longer that much of an honour and more of an obligation.

There may be merit in switching it to every two years, to make it a bit more special, and giving more consideration to the scheduling, so the top players who go deep in most of their tournaments aren't risking being too tired either during Davis Cup or on the regular tour.

As a Brit, I'd find it hard to get enthusiastic about our Davis Cup team, because the format just doesn't work when there is such a big gap between your number 1 and number 2 players. If you have to rely on one player winning all of their matches, it doesn't really count as a team effort. We're no where near good enough to be in the World Group, so I think it's best all around if we stay where we are for now and let the lower ranked and younger players enjoy the experience.

sureshs 02-06-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7195207)
(note: I'd just as soon eliminate the Cup altogether but the traditionalists would never tolerate that)

Davis Cup is not big in the US, but that is not true in other countries. It and the Olympics are often the catalysts for money coming into the game and talent development. There are also junior DC and FC events. In many countries, these events play an important role in the sport, as there may be 0 or few top 100 players from these countries.

Sorana fan 02-06-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7195658)
Davis cup has some great tennis. I think the current format contributes to it.

Wawrinka Vs. Berdych was more fun than nearly all of the Australian Open matches. Maybe only the Wawrina/Djokovic and Federer/Tsonga matches were as engaging in terms of the quality tennis played.

I agree. DC is Ok with the current format.
It seems only a problem for ******s as their god will never ever win it

Sorana fan 02-06-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Sparkle* (Post 7195759)
I think you'd convince more top players to commit to Davis Cup if all rounds, bar the finals, were best of three. The prospect of a couple of tough five-setters is a risk, especially if you still have to rely on the performance of others to progress to the next round anyway.

I agree that it's a good opportunity for lower-ranked, up and coming players to get some top level experience, and moving it around lets non-traditional venues in on the action, which is all very valuable.

Unfortunately, for some players, especially those from countries that will never win the Davis Cup (or have done so regularly in the past), it's no longer that much of an honour and more of an obligation.

There may be merit in switching it to every two years, to make it a bit more special, and giving more consideration to the scheduling, so the top players who go deep in most of their tournaments aren't risking being too tired either during Davis Cup or on the regular tour.

As a Brit, I'd find it hard to get enthusiastic about our Davis Cup team, because the format just doesn't work when there is such a big gap between your number 1 and number 2 players. If you have to rely on one player winning all of their matches, it doesn't really count as a team effort. We're no where near good enough to be in the World Group, so I think it's best all around if we stay where we are for now and let the lower ranked and younger players enjoy the experience.

It's not anyone's fault that UK hasnt got good tennis playerS enough