Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who in the current WTA has the best chance of beating an in-form Serena? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453887)

always_crosscourt 02-06-2013 08:57 AM

Who in the current WTA has the best chance of beating an in-form Serena?

The poll is limited to top 10 players, but say if you think some scrub from down low in the rankings can take it to her.

TennisCJC 02-06-2013 09:04 AM

Sloane Stephens, Vika Azarenka, and Sam Stosur (in form Stosur somewhere other than Australia).

I think all 3 of these have shot and possibly Li Na.

Sloane is a better athlete right now as in faster and I think may be better than Serena off the ground. If Sloane serves well enough to hold her serve, she has what it takes to win.

Vika has same profile as Sloane as she is also quicker and a better mover. If Vika can hold, she wins or if you can get 2 breaks per set.

Sam when serving well can hold and if she holds, she gets confident. She would have to play at her peak like her USO win.

Serena's serve is what seperates her from the pack. Most of the other top 10 struggle to hold. But, I think several have as good or better ground game.

I hope Vika works to improve her serve and net game as this is where Serena has the edge.

Same with Sloane, she need to improve her serve and net game. She should play some doubles to improve all court game. It will pay off in singles.

TERRASTAR18 02-06-2013 09:26 AM

anyone during the french open.
but outside of that no one.......

TMF 02-06-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TERRASTAR18 (Post 7195696)

Oh come on. Sloane and Stosur have beaten her. Azarenka was serving out for the match last year at the USO.

Chanwan 02-06-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7195725)
Oh come on. Sloane and Stosur have beaten her. Azarenka was serving out for the match last year at the USO.

Even Woz beat her last year if I'm not mistaken. Somewhere around IW.

DRII 02-06-2013 09:41 AM

In form Kivitova or Sloane.

Serena was ailing in Aussie, but she was playing nearly full flight the last 3 games vs Slaone in the quarters and was shocked that someone could return her serve and groundies right back at her.

Sloane actually rather play someone who blast the ball at her. her defense to offense is better than her pure offense at the moment.

Phoenix1983 02-06-2013 09:41 AM

Other: Sloane Stephens. :)

TERRASTAR18 02-06-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

it said in-form serena....the last one to do that was early 00's venus.

NadalAgassi 02-06-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Maybe you missed it but the title was "in form Serena". The answer would probably be someone like Na Li who can match her power, apart from the serve, almost always gives Serena a tough match, and tends to let loose and go for broke when she feels like the big underdog. Maybe Kvitova on a fast court if she gets her sh1t back together. Both of those are even a stretch though, the real answer is probably nobody currently on tour. There are a number of players who can beat Serena out of form (not Sharapova mind you).

DropShotArtist 02-06-2013 05:15 PM

Easy, Sloane Stephens just finished beating in form Serena at AO. Stosur destroyed Serena at the USO. Sharapova beat Serena at Wimbledon of all places at her peakiest peak.

President 02-06-2013 05:18 PM

I think it would be a player like Li Na or Kuztensova, really technically great players who can move well and have a really high A-game.

ellipticality_224 02-06-2013 05:22 PM

With the current shape of the WTA and the general inconsistency and unpredictability of the players... all bets are off. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day, tournament or round. But If I had to say, a Slam Serena (there is a difference between a slam serena and a 1000 serena) is most easily beaten by an in form Vika.

Paul Murphy 02-06-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TERRASTAR18 (Post 7195696)

Pretty much agree with this.
Though maybe Azarenka if she's having a very good day and Serena is off.

NadalAgassi 02-06-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7196765)
Sharapova beat Serena at Wimbledon of all places at her peakiest peak.

Incorrect. This is what Sharapova at her peakiest peak looks like vs an ok or pretty good Serena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flflusBYttk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfwFwuTiEo

TERRASTAR18 02-07-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Murphy (Post 7197036)
Pretty much agree with this.
Though maybe Azarenka if she's having a very good day and Serena is off.

true and if serena is off i think alot of ppl have chances. heck wozniacki beat her...
outside of france the only time i'm worried she might lose is kim kardashian either gets married or has that baby with kanye....

NadalAgassi 02-07-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisCJC (Post 7195656)
Sloane Stephens, Vika Azarenka, and Sam Stosur (in form Stosur somewhere other than Australia).

Eliminate Wimbledon for Stosur too. She is useless on that surface.

Goosehead 02-07-2013 10:15 AM

apart from the already mentioned sloane ranger..

who was that one that wasted Lance williams in the first rd of last years french open :twisted:

Soianka 02-07-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7196675)
Maybe you missed it but the title was "in form Serena". The answer would probably be someone like Na Li who can match her power, apart from the serve, almost always gives Serena a tough match, and tends to let loose and go for broke when she feels like the big underdog. Maybe Kvitova on a fast court if she gets her sh1t back together. Both of those are even a stretch though, the real answer is probably nobody currently on tour. There are a number of players who can beat Serena out of form (not Sharapova mind you).

I agree with you. Na Li is a good choice if Na is also playing well.

Soianka 02-07-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7196773)
I think it would be a player like Li Na or Kuztensova, really technically great players who can move well and have a really high A-game.

Yes. The problem is those 2 are often off their A games.

Phoenix1983 02-07-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 7197051)
Incorrect. This is what Sharapova at her peakiest peak looks like vs an ok or pretty good Serena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flflusBYttk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZfwFwuTiEo

Dude, are you Serena's promoter?

All you ever do is rhapsodize about her.

We all know Sharapova has an awful recent record against Serena but she did demolish her in the W final 2004, and beat her again in the YEC final in 2004, so please don't pretend Serena is some kind of unbeatable goddess. :roll: