Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453927)

Tennisplayer8 02-06-2013 03:59 PM

Help!

Hello,

On my ground strokes, I have a habit of getting very wristy and rolling over on my shots. I also have an issue of popping up while hitting. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thank You!

Tennisplayer8 02-06-2013 04:03 PM

Also, when hitting my backhand, I have an issue of using my right arm too much and not enough left arm. Is there anything that can fix that too?

Mike2228 02-06-2013 05:17 PM

Get on the tennis court often and use trial and error. Make commonsense adjustments until the results are to your liking.

Relinquis 02-07-2013 12:06 AM

for the first problem, they hitting more through the ball.

for the second problem practice doing a few forehands with only your left arm.

fuzz nation 02-08-2013 05:38 AM

Good call with the backhand - try to hit some left-handed forehands to better engage that arm for your two-hander. While you're at it, also experiment on the practice courts with your leg drive. Feel your weight driving off your left foot as you swing to contact - driving more deliberately with your left leg could prevent the stroke from being dominated too much by the right arm. It's okay for your weight to drive onto your right leg as you swing, but use the left for the big push.

Another thought that might activate your left arm through contact could be to start the stroke with your elbows at least slightly bent and focus on extending that left arm out (straight) through contact so that you get a good swing radius through the hitting zone.

As for the wristy malady, maybe try hitting some forehands (on the practice grinder) while gripping with no more than your thumb, middle finger, and ring finger. This might force your wrist to be more passive though contact, but it will probably challenge you to get the stroke going just a bit earlier, too.

You might also get less wristy action if you focus on a full follow-through with your elbow. Turn your shoulders through contact so that the elbow of your racquet arm is pointed in the general direction of your target at finish (if it isn't doing that now).

TennisCJC 02-08-2013 05:58 AM

To stop rolling over FH, try visualize the racket head hitting thru 3 balls. The racket head will be moving up, thru and across in a glancing blow, but it still helps to visualize 3 balls and hit thru them. It is not a linear straight thru 3 balls but rather drive up, thru and across but hold the line thru 3 balls. The wrist is passive in the contact zone and should be relaxed but in a fairly consistent position - no tricks with the wrist. The WW follow-thru should not start until after you have hit thru the contact zone - just let your arm extend as you core (hips, shoulders) rotate and when you reach full extension on the rotation, your can let the forearm roll into a WW follow-thru. Ball is long gone before any WW or roll of forearm.