Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Whats a good cheap natural gut? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453938)

ellipticality_224 02-06-2013 05:15 PM

Whats a good cheap natural gut?

I think Im going to have to splurge on a couple of sets of gut to see what the hype is all about. But I dont want to spend 40 plus dollars on a set. Ive seen some sets from various companies on TW for 20 to 30 dollars. Are these any good? Or is it VS gut or bust with nat gut?

ellipticality_224 02-06-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7196764)
I think Im going to have to splurge on a couple of sets of gut to see what the hype is all about. But I dont want to spend 40 plus dollars on a set. Ive seen some sets from various companies on TW for 20 to 30 dollars. Are these any good? Or is it VS gut or bust with nat gut?

I also forgot to ask what would be an optimum tension to string this gut at? And I have an option of a prestige mp or an extreme pro to put it in, Im going to do an all gut string job, and I want to get the most out of it, I like both rackets equally, but which one would make the gut shine the most? I was thinking the prestige MP at around 65 pounds?

fortun8son 02-06-2013 05:37 PM

The $30ish guts play and string up well.
The choice is (mostly) between Klip Legend, Pacific Classic and Babolat Tonic.
String it in the high range and use the thinner versions for the 18M frames.

PrincessAdam 02-06-2013 05:44 PM

I'd say go with Pacific classic 17 at around 60ish. They make really good gut at really good prices. I'd put it in you Prestige as well.

ellipticality_224 02-06-2013 05:55 PM

Ok, Im going to hit on the ball machine tomorrow at my local pro shop tomorrow to work on a few technique and timing things, I might pick up a few sets of tonic. So, you guys would recommend a 17 gauge string in my prestige, @ around 60-65 pounds, and a 2 piece or a 1 piece?

Ramon 02-06-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7196829)
Ok, Im going to hit on the ball machine tomorrow at my local pro shop tomorrow to work on a few technique and timing things, I might pick up a few sets of tonic. So, you guys would recommend a 17 gauge string in my prestige, @ around 60-65 pounds, and a 2 piece or a 1 piece?

Tonic is one of the highest quality gut strings under $40, although I might prefer the softness and feel of Pacific Classic. Personally, I use 16 or 16L because I need durability. I don't think Tonic comes in 17 gauge. I strung Tonic as a 1 piece because it's easy to string, but lower quality strings are better done as 2 piece jobs because you want to handle them as little as possible.

fortun8son 02-06-2013 07:04 PM

Tonic + is only 16 or 15L no 17.
Don't go quite as high with it.Nice string,but...
You may be better off with the lighter gauge Pacific.

ellipticality_224 02-06-2013 08:10 PM

thanks for the advice guys! Appreciate it!

fortun8son 02-06-2013 08:22 PM

No prob, Dude.

wmilas 02-07-2013 06:02 AM

Pacific Classic is my fav among all the mid level guts. In fact, it actually like it now more then the premium guts after playing with it for 2 years :)

TennisCJC 02-07-2013 06:25 AM

My preference:

1. Bab Tonic+ BallFell 16G
2. Pacific Classic 16G
3. Klip Legend coated - distant 3rd as coating is not up to par

I have never had any problems with permature snapping with these guts and they all have great feel. Legend is very tricky to string as the coating is not good but Bab and Pac string very easily if you are careful like you should be with any gut.

I suggest trying Tonic+ or Classic if you want to experience high quality gut at a reasonable price.

Centerforward71 02-07-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellipticality_224 (Post 7196764)

After testing alot of the lower end guts including the ones below I would have to say that a QUALITY MULTI played better than most of the cheaper guts, but go ahead and test for yourself. I actually liked the natural colored Mamba Premium, and the Performaxx was decent but nothing that I loved or thought would be worth switching to this.

What are you looking to improve with gut ? Feel is definitely better, power also, but spin and sometimes crispness is not if you like that. They can be mushy or soft depending on how it feels to you, so if you like crispy or stiffer setups you will not like gut.

wmilas 02-07-2013 08:04 AM

Pacific classic and Klip Legend are not lower end guts btw. They are classic uncoated (or in teh case of legend crappy coated) guts like you used to find 15 years ago. Today are considered mid range guts The current wilson and Bab guts have a heavy coating which they charge you extra for.

In my opinion, the classic uncoated mid range guts play like what a gut is supposed to. The higher end coated guts feel weird fresh and play different as the coating wears through. At the end of their life they play like Pacific classic when the coating is gone.

ultradr 02-07-2013 10:30 AM

Tonic+ used to be the best value ... until they recently changed their formula.

I like Klip uncoated legend. It's crisp and great feeling string.

Pacific classic is also great gut.

Klip tends to lose playability quicker than the pacific, though, baby oiled or not.