Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Would Nadal benefit from a new coach? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453969)

spperry 02-07-2013 03:56 AM

Would Nadal benefit from a new coach?

Just wondered what people thought about this as I have wondered about quite often, especially when losing all the finals to Djokovic.

I am big Nadal fan and think he is great for tennis and glad to see him back.

Here is link to a video about Oscar Borras who helped Nadal develop his serve in the post season in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljqJv84tTI

Makes you think that a change of coach might help him with other aspects of his game and come up with different ideas about how to approach games with Djokovic and even Murray now who I think has improved since Nadal has been out.

Nobody can argue with what he has achieved with Uncle Toni but sometimes a change can make a big difference.

Given we don't know how well Nadal will come back or indeed for how long I feel maybe a change could add something extra to his game.

I know there is pretty much zero chance of this happening with Nadal but Li Na replaced her husband last year as coach and has had great success with Carlos Rodriquez and maybe the same thing could help Nadal.

Just wondered what other people thought about this?

tata 02-07-2013 04:12 AM

Hard to change a winning formula when you got 11 slams and titled practically the best dirt baller in the game. I mean yes he did lose 3 consecutive slam finals to him but it wasn't like Nadal was blown off the court. Besides, Djoker was just playing the best tennis of his life. Nadal owned Djoker for most of their career, Djoker managed to find a way to beat Nadal and then now they're back to even ground (beating Djoker in the 2 masters finals + RG final). I'd say their record against each other will be decided by the surface they play on.

The Meat 02-07-2013 04:14 AM

I think Nadal should stay the way he is now, an aggressive Nadal with an all court game would win too much and not bore me to death.

Fiji 02-07-2013 08:29 AM

Nah. His best chance of winning another slam is at Roland Garros and with his current coach he won seven times there so he couldn't get anyone better than UT to show him how to win Roland Garros.

NEW_BORN 02-07-2013 05:13 PM

Even with a new coach, Nadal would still play the same way. Old habits die hard

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 05:29 PM

Depends on if the new coach can take care of Nadal the way Toni can ;).

vernonbc 02-07-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spperry (Post 7197347)
Here is link to a video about Oscar Borras who helped Nadal develop his serve in the post season in 2010.

Oscar Borras and that video have been thoroughly discredited. He never coached Rafa or developed his serve - he showed up at Rafa's practice one day with some crazy claims and a videographer. Rafa and Toni humoured him and a 40 minute video has been edited down to 10 minutes. It doesn't show Rafa and Toni laughing at him and gawking at him in disbelief.

The same guy also claimed to have taught JC Ferraro how to serve ten years earlier and caused JC so many problems he took him to court.

As to whether Rafa should change coaches - no. Why tamper with an obviously good thing?

Mustard 02-07-2013 06:50 PM

It's up to Rafa. He's obviously happy with Toni, so why change?

citybert 02-07-2013 07:02 PM

Doesnt he have francois riog as his other coach usually after the USO and for IW and miami? Because toni needs to stay home w his kids? Maybe he could use a new second coach?

Leaving toni even if it benefitted his game would be too hard for him as he seems to be v loyal.

Perhaps toni as his mental coach and someone else for strategy. But that person would need to be able to work with toni. So unlikely esp this late.

More interesting is if toni will become a coach hired by others.

sureshs 02-07-2013 07:32 PM

Nadal has no weakness, so what can a coach contribute?

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7198952)
Nadal has no weakness, so what can a coach contribute?

What about the injuries that cause all of his losses?

OddJack 02-07-2013 08:01 PM

He doesnt have the option.
It's like telling the gang leader you want to switch sides. They will kill ya.

Sid_Vicious 02-07-2013 08:07 PM

in b4 Ivan_the_terrible.

Nadal is doping.

That is all.

Amelie Mauresmo 02-07-2013 09:19 PM

I think Nadal needs to do what Agnieszka Radwanska did when she ditched her father Robert.

I am sure Rafael Nadal loves and respects his uncle Toni but the man is twenty six years old he isn't a child. I always found Nadal kind of weird he's a twenty something multi millionaire yet emotionally he seems rather immature like a teenager and not as a grown man.

Nadal comes across as someone stuck in adolesence he seems to feel the need of constant approval of his uncle Toni yet it is time for him to live his own life on his own terms.

Now is the time for Nadal to separate from his uncle, find his independence as a man and find his own way.

I hope Nadal doesn't end up like Arantxa Sanchez Vicario another Spanish champion. People thought Arantxa's family life was very close nit yet she wrote a memoir last year saying her parents wasted her $60 million euro fortune.
Arantxa said her parents gave her an allowance now imagine a grown *** woman, asking her parents for an allowance for her own earnings while they live in a huge mansion!

I sincerely hope Rafael Nadal has control over his fortune and he doesn't end up like Arantxa. Family is a good thing, but when a man is an adult he should have control over his own destiny.

spperry 02-08-2013 02:37 AM

I think sometimes things can get a bit stale and a change can help that. I know they have had success but RG aside I don't see him winning anymore slams especially if he has to play Djokovic. Although that might be the plan seeing as it seems as if has changed things with his racket to get more spin. That says he is focusing on retaining RG maybe at the expense of results on other surfaces where his spin isn't quite as effective.

I guess time will tell, I really hope he gets back competing at near his best soon as mens tennis definitely needs him.

Relinquis 02-08-2013 03:11 AM

shouldn't change coach.

would be nice to see him drop shot a little more and come to the net a couple more times a set. would blow peoples minds.

spperry 02-08-2013 03:21 AM

I definitely like the idea of him volleying more. I think it is a part of his game that doesn't get that much recognition.

He is pretty good at the net but I think all the top players worry about volleying against each other as they all hit passing shots so well.

sureshs 02-08-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7198955)
What about the injuries that cause all of his losses?

His injuries may or may not be due to his style of play. It may simply be due to the fact he has 11 Slams and goes deep into every tournament.

DropShotArtist 02-08-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7199544)
His injuries may or may not be due to his style of play. It may simply be due to the fact he has 11 Slams and goes deep into every tournament.

Regardless of the source, isn't constantly being injured, a weakness?

malbaker86 02-08-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7199558)
Regardless of the source, isn't constantly being injured, a weakness?

not it isn't actually.