Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Puerto trial should name names, says Nadal (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453975)

CMM 02-07-2013 05:15 AM

Puerto trial should name names, says Nadal

Quote:

Rafael Nadal believes that the names of those implicated in the ongoing "Operation Puerto" trial into blood doping must be provided if the image of sportsmen and women in general is to be cleared up.

In an interview with the French sports daily L'Equipe published on Thursday, the Spanish tennis star said he felt his reputation, and that of Spanish sport as a whole, had been tarnished by the trial.

A judge has refused to demand that doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, the suspected mastermind of one of the sporting world's biggest blood doping rackets, provide the names of athletes implicated in the scandal.

The ruling could avert a huge fall-out from the high-profile trial in Madrid but Nadal said that naming names would have been the correct thing to do.

"What is happening in Spain, I don't understand it," he was quoted as saying. "I don't understand why doctor Fuentes is not giving names. And I don't understand why the judge has not asked him to do so.

"I don't understand why we never get to the bottom of these things. We need to clean everything up. I believe this doctor has worked with foreign athletes but because he is Spanish it is Spanish sport that is being prejudiced.

"As an athlete that hurts me. Because of people like (US cyclist Lance) Armstrong, we all have a dubious image."

Nadal, who made his comeback to competitive tennis this week at the Vina del Mar clay-court tournament in Chile, also admitted his relief at being back on the court after a lengthy injury absence.

But he said he did not expect to be back to his best until later in the season.

The former world number one returned after more than seven months out with a knee injury to beat qualifier Federico Delbonis 6-3, 6-2 in the second round.

He said before his return that his troublesome knee was still a source of nagging pain but he added that there was never any fear of a relapse.

"Fear? No. Stress, yes, that's to be expected. Relief and joy, certainly," he told L'Equipe of his feelings after his first singles match since a shock defeat to little-known Czech Lukas Rosol in the second round of Wimbledon last June.

"At the moment it's all about patience. I need to take things one step at a time and accept that I won't be at my maximum level straight away. I'm not scared because I know my knee is in good shape."

The Mallorcan will now face either compatriot Albert Montanes or another Spaniard Daniel Gimeno-Traver in the next round in Vina del Mar.

The tournament is all part of his preparations for the European clay-court season, and his bid for an eighth French Open crown.

"I want to be at 100 percent for Monte Carlo and the European clay season," he said. "Here in Chile, all that matters is how I feel and how my knee reacts. To lose here is not a problem. After so long out losing would be the logical thing."
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...mes-says-nadal

The_Order 02-07-2013 05:21 AM

But but but Rafa is a client of Fuentes!!!

How else can you explain the continuous beatings he gives Federer in majors?

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 05:28 AM

Nadal seems quite confident that his name his not on Fuentes' list. Almost overly confident, wouldn't you say? :confused:

malbaker86 02-07-2013 05:31 AM

He's not doping.

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malbaker86 (Post 7197493)
He's not doping.

Who Lance? You could be right, he's passed all the tests. Oh wait...

6-1 6-3 6-0 02-07-2013 05:38 AM

Federer :mad: doesn't seem to be saying anything about it... :-P

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6-1 6-3 6-0 (Post 7197501)
Federer :mad: doesn't seem to be saying anything about it... :-P

Kinda like the guys who actually get action never talk about it :razz:

SLD76 02-07-2013 05:44 AM

Well played by rafa.

But then again, there is less than a snowball's chance in hell the names would be released.

slal1984 02-07-2013 05:47 AM

He knows that the names will not be released, and even if they are the Spanish federation will do its best to hide his.....so he is speaking out without any fear like he is innocent.

estigma2001 02-07-2013 05:55 AM

and this is a never ending story if people believes that heīs guilty he is so...........they donīt need proof, they just labeled him so.... and thereīs way to change that.
Or Is there a way? just asking...:???:

estigma2001 02-07-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estigma2001 (Post 7197520)
and this is a never ending story if people believes that heīs guilty he is so...........they donīt need proof, they just labeled him so.... and thereīs no way to change that.
Or Is there a way? just asking...:???:

i missed a word:twisted:

DropShotArtist 02-07-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Order (Post 7197523)
Wow here's some nice ******* logic for you:

If he says reveal the names, he's guilty.

If he says nothing, he's guilty.

If he says don't reveal the names, he's guilty.

You sound like one of those who claimed Lance was innocent :)

ivan_the_terrible 02-07-2013 06:42 AM

Good interview from Rafa - he's confident his name isn't on the list. His fans were right all along.

The doping allegations surrounding him since he burst on the scene have now been proven to be drummed up by *******s worldwide.

mariecon 02-07-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropShotArtist (Post 7197488)
Nadal seems quite confident that his name his not on Fuentes' list. Almost overly confident, wouldn't you say? :confused:

well then I guess Uncle Foni got his junk elsewhere.

Murrayfan31 02-07-2013 06:49 AM

Nadal will regret this if Fuentes actually named names. But I think he knows Fuentes won't do it.

jrs 02-07-2013 06:51 AM

Spanis government appears to involved in the coverup

I guess the Spanish government is also going the way of the USA - they only want to hear about the cyclists.

It would have been best if the whole truth came out - but that is asking for too much.

But I am not too sure if you can be a top athlete and compete without taking PE drugs. Maybe it's time to make them legal and administer them using proper medical professionals.

Mike Sams 02-07-2013 07:14 AM

If Nadal is proven to be doping, the sport of Tennis burns! We know the ATP cannot allow that to happen. No way will Nadal ever be named.

Mustard 02-07-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7197693)
If Nadal is proven to be doping, the sport of Tennis burns! We know the ATP cannot allow that to happen. No way will Nadal ever be named.

Lance Armstrong got burned, didn't he? Even other cyclists like Jan Ullrich as well. A nuclear bomb has been exploded inside the sport of cycling.

Crisstti 02-07-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Order (Post 7197523)
Wow here's some nice ******* logic for you:

If he says reveal the names, he's guilty.

If he says nothing, he's guilty.

If he says don't reveal the names, he's guilty.

Yep. Makes you wonder whether they're just trolling or just so dumb they can't notice the nonsense they're talking...

Fiji 02-07-2013 07:34 AM

This place is loaded with too many Nadal threads.:rolleyes: