Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Maybe getting a Eagnas... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453980)

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 06:23 AM

Maybe getting a Eagnas...

Someone is selling what I believe to be a Eagnas Hawk 80 (www.flickr.com/photos/38221599@N05/8453642216/ ) for a moving "everything must go" sale for $100. I have searched all over these forums for info on the machine and found the same couple of people over an over that thought it was great for being a cheap table top and the same people over and over that thought the base clamps stunk and wouldn't go near one again. Anyone that wants to give an opinion now can do so, but I just want to know if the scenario is a good deal.

The guy has had it for 5-6 years and would only string for himself. I can't imagine it was used recently based off the dusty appearance. Pretty much all I know right now is that he doesn't have the manual. I don't know how many original tools/parts are still included, if he's had any problems with it before, if anything is broken, etc. Hopefully he is going to call me later today since he is moving soon and I'd like to find out if it's worth it based off of what he tells me.

So if I hear from him that everything that was original is included, he's never had a problem with it, and everything is proper working condition, is $100 a good price for this machine?

Btw, this would be my first stringing machine (I have very little experience but am excited to learn!), and after having a stringer recently do a pretty bad job I am looking for something with more than 2 clamp points (though my friend from home uses a 2 point and they have always come out great, so I know the outcome is as depended on the stringer as it is the machine). I am not planning on buying new since new + 4or6 point = out of the budget, and I am more than content on waiting until the perfect opportunity comes around. I do plan on asking my friend from home which machine he uses and may be open to a reliable, NON DAMAGING 2 point, but that is not the opportunity in front of me right now.

Irvin 02-07-2013 06:40 AM

Dusty appearance? Looks to me to have been used a lot. Not sure but is that a crack in the upper left just outside the rail? And a big chip out of it in the center of the lower rail? May have been dropped off the table. The seller may have only used it to string his rackets but I think the little old lady from Pasedina drug it around with her.

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7197610)
Dusty appearance? Looks to me to have been used a lot. Not sure but is that a crack in the upper left just outside the rail? And a big chip out of it in the center of the lower rail? May have been dropped off the table. The seller may have only used it to string his rackets but I think the little old lady from Pasedina drug it around with her.

Didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. I will ask what they are and how they got there for sure. I can't imagine that, if it was dropped, everything will work as it should...

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:07 AM

This may also be important - I would mainly string kevlar/syn gut hybrids. Does this make any difference?

Lakers4Life 02-07-2013 07:08 AM

$100 for that machine is practically a steal. You can't get a Klippermate for that price. Also this is a Taiwan made machine. Much better quality than the later China made machines.

That crack looks more like a scratch. I had a Hawk 800 before and the base is soild sheet of steel.

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7197680)
$100 for that machine is practically a steal. You can't get a Klippermate for that price. Also this is a Taiwan made machine. Much better quality than the later China made machines.

That crack looks more like a scratch. I had a Hawk 800 before and the base is soild sheet of steel.

Cool. I heard the 800 is the same as the 80 outside of the 800 being an upright machine. I only plan on stringing my own racquets until I am confident enough to branch out to other people, but I am so protective of my racquets I don't even know which one I would use as the first guinea pig :-? . Sounds like you are recommending that I buy it, so that's noted. Would you see problems with it stringing kevlar?

Woolybugger 02-07-2013 07:25 AM

If you are really concerned, get a stringer buddy to go with you and test-string a couple of mains on it.

Lakers4Life 02-07-2013 07:26 AM

The Hawk 800 I owned, had cheap clamps, at least this machine has the PN-1012 clamps, which alone are worth the machine. I don't think you will have a problem with kevlar.

Irvin 02-07-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 7197675)
This may also be important - I would mainly string kevlar/syn gut hybrids. Does this make any difference?

No it doesnt except for the distance the weight falls when string syn gut as compared to Kevlar but you will get used to that.

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolybugger (Post 7197720)
If you are really concerned, get a stringer buddy to go with you and test-string a couple of mains on it.

Would love to, but these people move in 48 hours and I don't know when I will even be getting there haha. Still waiting to here from the owner so I can get those questions answered...

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7197723)
No it doesnt except for the distance the weight falls when string syn gut as compared to Kevlar but you will get used to that.

Before I ask anyone to go into detail over that, I will see if I can find a video or something on stringing kevlar.

I've been so back and forth on this machine since yesterday, for me it's always about protecting the racquets haha. My biggest fear is any kind of permanent distortion/damage occurring since I don't know how reliable it is yet, but I know that can happen on any machine.

Lakers4Life 02-07-2013 07:43 AM

It's Hold-down mount, with four side supports. Not a very fast mounting system like the floating 6 points, but it works fine. Just make sure that scatch is not a crack.

struggle 02-07-2013 07:44 AM

That machine will be fine.

I might move the knob on the weight off of the guage sticker.
I'm assuming that would still work, that bolt has got to ttear it up I'd think.

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7197764)
It's Hold-down mount, with four side supports. Not a very fast mounting system like the floating 6 points, but it works fine. Just make sure that scatch is not a crack.

I'm looking more for efficiency/doing it safely than speed, so I'm fine with that :)

Is a crack a deal breaker even though it's on the bottom rail?

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7197771)
I might move the knob on the weight off of the guage sticker.

that bolt has got to ttear it up I'd think.

Can you elaborate please?

struggle 02-07-2013 08:02 AM

Usually the scale is some sort of sticker. It will get torn up having that screw knob cranked down it repeatedly.

Move the knob around the rod, so as to avoid the sticker. BUT it appears the sticker is on a flat spot on the bar? That would also be the ideal spot for the knob screw. Oh well...

Maybe someone can confirm.

I had an old dropweight many years ago (mid 80's and it was used) and can't recall if it was a sticker or etched into the bar. Seems like it was a sticker...

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7197807)
Usually the scale is some sort of sticker. It will get torn up having that screw knob cranked down it repeatedly.

Move the knob around the rod, so as to avoid the sticker. BUT it appears the sticker is on a flat spot on the bar? That would also be the ideal spot for the knob screw. Oh well...

Maybe someone can confirm.

I had an old dropweight many years ago (mid 80's and it was used) and can't recall if it was a sticker or etched into the bar. Seems like it was a sticker...

OK, I see what you're saying now. It is hard to tell if the numbers are on a sticker or engraved into the rod, imo they looked engraved. I will check and if it's a sticker I will do what I can to avoid damage occurring to it

Lakers4Life 02-07-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep (Post 7197779)
I'm looking more for efficiency/doing it safely than speed, so I'm fine with that :)

Is a crack a deal breaker even though it's on the bottom rail?

If the base is cracked, then it is a $100 machine, just for the parts. You can probably get it welded, in the worst case. Those bases are pretty thick and I doubt it's cracked.

mmk 02-07-2013 08:22 AM

Hawk 800, besides being upright, is a crank machine, not dropweight. But, the same mounting system. I've got an 800 with the older clamps, those in the picture are much nicer. If everything is okay, that is a really good deal.

TheLambsheadrep 02-07-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7197830)
If the base is cracked, then it is a $100 machine, just for the parts. You can probably get it welded, in the worst case. Those bases are pretty thick and I doubt it's cracked.

Well, I prob wouldn't buy it for $100 just to sell parts to make $100 back haha. I'm assuming you mean that even if it is cracked it is still fully operational (and safe for the racquets. And myself while we're at it, I do care for my own safety haha) but the value is now more in line with $100