Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BHB7 vs BHBR vs Spiky Shark comparison (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=453982)

Bahama Scott 02-07-2013 06:32 AM

BHB7 vs BHBR vs Spiky Shark comparison
 
What are your experiences with these 3 in regards to: great spin, control, gentleness and longevity? (All in 16 gauge) What tensions?

Been playing with hybrid for last year but recently tried the BHBR at 59 and really liked it and now want to try these other two.

RetroSpin 02-08-2013 10:26 AM

If you try the BHBR in the mid 40's, I think you'll like it even more.

Rjtennis 02-09-2013 09:45 PM

I like the Spiky Shark the best of those three but in 17g. I think BHBR is an ok string but I never got all hype about. The one thing abbot the spiky shark and BHBR is that they are not super durable.

PKfan1 02-10-2013 02:56 AM

Spiky shark and BHB7 give crazy spin and IMO more control than BHBR. BHB7 to me is the most comfortable of the 3, and power is smimlar to BHBR. Spiky Shark maybe the most durable :? I use them all at 58-62lbs depending on temperature.

rofl_copter3 02-10-2013 10:29 AM

Spikey shark is a rather weird string. It does not have great feel, is kinda low powered but not uncomfortable and has ridiculous spin. The weird part is the spin shapes ball flight in a crazy way but it does not have a lot of weight to the spin so when it bounces it kinda sits up...

BHBR is not great for control but has very very good spin potential and quite a bit of power. Also the spin causes awkward bounces for your opponent to deal with.

BHB7 has great spin, is soft, and medium to low power. It is the least durable though and tension maintenance is subpar..

There has been a good number of people who like the hybrid bhbr mains with bhb7 crosses and have raved about the results...

Bahama Scott 02-11-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetroSpin (Post 7200078)
If you try the BHBR in the mid 40's, I think you'll like it even more.

Retro what effect should I expect at the lower tension, particularly in regards to power and control?

Bahama Scott 02-11-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7203419)
I like the Spiky Shark the best of those three but in 17g. I think BHBR is an ok string but I never got all hype about. The one thing abbot the spiky shark and BHBR is that they are not super durable.

I now have about 5 hours on the BHBR and about 2 on the other two. I am crazy about the BHBR....it seems to fit my playing level and style perfectly. But the Spikey Shark is a very close second. I just haven't quite dialed in the feel yet but the spin is just great. Not crazy about the BHB7 though. At this tension it is stiff, and less power BUT it is still brand new and not even really broken in yet but it feels less power less feel, and less spin than the other two.....so far.

Two weeks of spotty weather up here in Tallahassee has kept me from trying them out more.

Bahama Scott 02-11-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rofl_copter3 (Post 7204372)
Spikey shark is a rather weird string. It does not have great feel, is kinda low powered but not uncomfortable and has ridiculous spin. The weird part is the spin shapes ball flight in a crazy way but it does not have a lot of weight to the spin so when it bounces it kinda sits up...

BHBR is not great for control but has very very good spin potential and quite a bit of power. Also the spin causes awkward bounces for your opponent to deal with.

BHB7 has great spin, is soft, and medium to low power. It is the least durable though and tension maintenance is subpar..

There has been a good number of people who like the hybrid bhbr mains with bhb7 crosses and have raved about the results...

I will look around here and see if I can find any articles on this. I just love the BHBR so I may experiment with this set up to see if it might be better.

Rob1 02-11-2013 05:21 PM

I like Spiky and gives some power.
BBHR is too stiff and gave me TE for 2 weeks.

Fuji 02-11-2013 05:37 PM

BHB7 gave me the absolute most spin, pound for pound, but my elbow didn't particularly care for it. I've had a couple guys test it out and have the same issue. Absolutely amazing playability, but the stiffness of it (even though its amazingly soft for a poly) just didn't agree with our arms.

-Fuji

DrpShot! 02-22-2013 05:57 AM

Bahama,
If you haven't already try dropping tension as well, for my dense pattern Prestige rackets BHB7 really feels great strung in the high 40s. Anything higher than that though feels too control oriented. I don't get any major arm issues at that tension range either. I string BHBR a little higher to control the pop, usually mid 50s.

Bahama Scott 02-22-2013 07:32 AM

After a fair amount of time I have decided that the SS is not for me..Unbelievable spin BUT stiff and, well just not as sweet as the other two.
Did a search last night and found the lengthy and spectacular playtest on the BHB7 lots of comparisons to the BHBR. Crazy about both and with about 15 hours on each would draw the same conclusions. The BHB7 lasts a little longer but the BHBR is still awesome.

I think I mentioned that I strung them all at 59 or 60. Love the control that this gives and the power is perfect.

I think Torres plays with the BHBR at about 54 or 55 and I may try both at that and see how they perform.

I've had problems with TE but these are both very comfortable and soft to me.

garytan68 02-23-2013 07:38 AM

Just curious what is the tension maintainence for the above 3 strings. I usually string it high 40's on a mid size frame. Anyone?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse