Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   YAFPT - Yet Another Foreign Player Thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454054)

doubleshack 02-07-2013 07:58 PM

YAFPT - Yet Another Foreign Player Thread

First off, apologies to people from countries other than the US. I realize you don't consider yourself foreign in your country, but this is a US centric thread, so, well, you are foreign. (If you were offended by that, please stop reading)

So, Johann took a slot that Johnny wanted. Newsflash Johnny ... you weren't good enough. Apparently though, some people think we should reward mediocrity. Let's limit the number of foreign players receiving scholarships so that kids who aren't very good get rewarded. How about we just put a scholarship fund together. I'm sure we'll find plenty of people willing to donate to a fund that rewards 'nice try Johnny, good effort, here's a bag of money'.

I think it rocks that we are taking the best players from all the other countries. If I run around screaming US is #1, that sounds like hyperbole. If every country sends their best juniors to the US, guess that turns into fact!

For those of you who don't want foreign players turning in awesome performances at the NCAA finals, then get together, fly to New York and tear down the Statue of Liberty.

I have literally no facts to back this up, but most of the 'foreign players stealing scholarships from Americans' tend to stay in the states. So now, I guess they are stealing jobs from Americans too. Several of the pro's at my club can't speak the president's English, those spots should be filled with Americans. Dang it, those foreigners are stealing jobs, marrying our American men and women and paying taxes that should be paid by Americans. They even have the nerve to have children who are stealing American citizenship. This is crazy and must be stopped!

Back to poor Johnny. He can't get into a Major D1 school. The only scholarships he's been offered are at D2 or NAIA schools he has never heard of. Doesn't matter if he can get an awesome education, he would much rather play at a school he has seen on TV. There his main focus would be tennis and education secondary. That way, he could take some lame major that doesn't get in the way of tennis. Without a scholarship, he's stuck focusing on his studies. Poor thing, he's setting himself up for a bright future instead of living on the glory of playing at a major D1 school.

There are 4.5 scholarships at D1/D2 Men's tennis. In the grand scheme of things, is that really worth 'protecting'.

andfor 02-07-2013 08:00 PM

Nice......

watergirl 02-08-2013 05:32 AM

That would be great if what you said was true. A friends son is planning on going to a good D2 school. The team is all foreign. He has beat the number 1 player. The coach wants him but all but 3500 is tied up with all the foreign players. The men's tennis is fully funded (4.5).

The American will just be a 3 star with TR next update. It is not that we are getting the best foreign players, we seem to be getting all of them.

rww 02-08-2013 05:47 AM

http://www.thestate.com/2013/01/27/2...-infusion.html

Wasn't Title IX great for althletic program equality? somewhat ironic that the main benefactors, in the tennis world at least, aren't US citizens

goran_ace 02-08-2013 07:49 AM

When I was in college we had a few foreigners on our team. One of them was a home run. Played #1 all four years, became a great teammate/leader. Other two were kind of an unknown quantity coming in but still got money because of a perceived higher ceiling. One guy was regularly in the lineup and shuffled around between the 3 and 5 spot. The third guy got owned in practice and never cracked the lineup. He got money to sit on the bench.

lstewart 02-08-2013 01:10 PM

I played NAIA college tennis from 1976 to 1980. We had a few foreign players on the team and they were great guys, but alot of the schools we played had many more. Now the trend seems to be much higher. In this part of the country Title IX funding issues caused half of the schools to drop men's tennis programs. Now there are significantly fewer programs, and so many international players. It is very tough to find a place to play. I've got a 17 year old son, and he is more talented that I was at that age. I had my choice of offers from multiple schools. Now he will be lucky if he can find a program to walk on with. Times have changed. Have nothing against foreign players... just not many opportunities any more.