Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Issue w/ Luxilon Alu Power (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454059)

jfong008 02-07-2013 07:41 PM

Issue w/ Luxilon Alu Power

Hello everyone, i've been playing tennis for two years now and until the past two months I had never broken my strings. The issue I am currently having is that within the last month I've broken 6 luxilon alu power strings @55. I usually play with my brother and we hit the ball VERY hard and with a lot of spin. He hits a little bit harder than me yet he does not break his strings at all. I am just curious why I'm breaking so many strings, upon a closer look of the past 3 strings i've broken it seems like the crosses are cutting into the mains, it is happening along the entire sweetspot of the racket not only where the strings popped. Is anybody having the same issue?

chaddles 02-08-2013 02:16 AM

You need to post what racquet your using, and are you using old balls and trying to hit with loads of top spin? Also are the breaking near the centre or near the the grommets?

jfong008 02-08-2013 11:18 AM

I've broken the strings on the new and old models of the pure drive, yonex vcore, and boris becker london. We open 3-4 cans every week of the penn marathon balls. The strings break in the middle between the middle and the grommet, but the mains are cutting through the crosses throughout the sweetspot.

JDMasFCK 02-08-2013 11:35 AM

The open string pattern combined with new balls and heavy spin can cause strings to break faster...

jfong008 02-08-2013 08:01 PM

yea but is it normal for the mains to be cutting into the crosses?

JDMasFCK 02-08-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfong008 (Post 7201390)
yea but is it normal for the mains to be cutting into the crosses?

Yes because the mains are what launches the ball when you use top spin and the moving of the mains slowly cuts into the crosses

scotus 02-08-2013 11:14 PM

If you have been playing tennis for only 2 years and haven't broken strings until recently, I wonder from where you've got your Lux ALU.

There are many Chinese knock-offs being sold on the big auction site and also traded around among members here.

Sweet-Spot 02-09-2013 03:13 AM

I'm willing to bet it was from 'China'... I bought a set of pro hurricane from 'China' and it snapped several times on restrings and also didn't last very long. however, the packaging was identical to the real thing and the appearance and feel of the string was also very similar. They do a great job of imitations. Other than that, mishits are often the cause of breakages.

jfong008 02-09-2013 06:42 AM

I get them at ***********, I live in Miami, 2 minutes away from the actual store.

jfong008 02-09-2013 06:43 AM

I bought them from a certified dealer....

Rjtennis 02-09-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet-Spot (Post 7201674)
I'm willing to bet it was from 'China'... I bought a set of pro hurricane from 'China' and it snapped several times on restrings and also didn't last very long. however, the packaging was identical to the real thing and the appearance and feel of the string was also very similar. They do a great job of imitations. Other than that, mishits are often the cause of breakages.

I'm guessing it's fake string. I hit with a solid 5.0 player fresh out college who hits with a ton of spin and he gets at least a month out of a full bed of ALU.

JDMasFCK 02-09-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7203384)
I'm guessing it's fake string. I hit with a solid 5.0 player fresh out college who hits with a ton of spin and he gets at least a month out of a full bed of ALU.

This is what I was thinking, It took me forever to break ALU and I hit with heavy topspin

[d]ragon 02-09-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rjtennis (Post 7203384)

Rating doesn't always have a correlation to breaking string. Everyone's different

[d]ragon 02-09-2013 10:43 PM

Perhaps the stringer isn't fanning properly.

PKfan1 02-10-2013 02:52 AM

If your breaking them near the grommets than it is because you are mishitting the ball.The crosses eating into the mains, or notching is completely normal. All strings get notched if you are hitting with spin.

Does the age of your tennis balls have an effect on string life?
I never considered this.