Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2013 Women's ITA Team Indoor tourney (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454084)

ClarkC 02-08-2013 05:09 AM

2013 Women's ITA Team Indoor tourney

LiveStats. Warmups should be concluding now.

mikej 02-08-2013 10:55 AM

does anyone know why kahan continues to not be in duke's lineup?

this busted duke lineup, arguably missing its best two players, should still make the semis if they handle NW for the second time this season - but that will be it - plenty of depth still, but depleted firepower up top

matchplay 02-08-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7200147)
does anyone know why kahan continues to not be in duke's lineup?

this busted duke lineup, arguably missing its best two players, should still make the semis if they handle NW for the second time this season - but that will be it - plenty of depth still, but depleted firepower up top

didn't her grandma

SoCal10s 02-08-2013 12:42 PM

USC has a crazy line-up .I've never seen this before... interesting ...

Kirijax 02-08-2013 01:05 PM

Miami wins a tough one with Nebraska 4-2. Could have easily gone the other way.

cmgoods81 02-08-2013 05:01 PM

Duke beat Baylor 4-1
Northwestern beat Alabama 4-1
UCLA beat Vanderbilt 4-1
Miami beat Nebraska 4-2
USC beat Virginia 4-1
North Carolina beat Texas A&M 4-0
Georgia is beating Texas 1-0
Michigan and Cal currently in doubles

mikej 02-09-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matchplay (Post 7200219)
didn't her grandma

??? - didn't her grandma what?

anyway, duke and ucla on to the semis with easy wins today

Kirijax 02-09-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7202579)
??? - didn't her grandma what?

anyway, duke and ucla on to the semis with easy wins today

The UCLA win over Miami was anything but easy.

mikej 02-09-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7202639)
The UCLA win over Miami was anything but easy.

eh, fair enough, i can see a different viewpoint on that - but all four singles wins were straight sets with three of them being absolute beatdowns (0 and 2, 0 and 2, 1 and 2)

was there some drama at the end? sure, probably

are those teams anywhere similar in ability? no

Kirijax 02-09-2013 02:05 PM

Who said anything about ability? Anyone who says the Canes are better than the Bruins right now is nuts. But the Canes came maybe a tiebreaker away from pulling it off today. Good match.

mikej 02-09-2013 02:21 PM

Lot of work to do in two third sets even if they win that tb - anyway, sure, they gave themselves a chance sort of

Kirijax 02-09-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7202707)
Lot of work to do in two third sets even if they win that tb - anyway, sure, they gave themselves a chance sort of

lol, ok Bruins are good.

marco forehand 02-10-2013 03:46 AM

UNC demonstrates a different sort of winning formula to get into the semi finales. Get's a win without the doubles point or a win on the two top courts.
After USC dominated in doubles they got off to a strong start on courts 1 and 2. UNC took first sets on the 4 lower courts and tied it up by closing out on 5 quickly. USC responded by forcing third sets on 3 and 4,then extended their lead to 3 1 by closing out on courts 1 and 2.
USC looked to be in total control with a break on court 4 (4-2) and two breaks on court 3 (3-0).
Court 6 was where the momentum swing started. UNC got their second point by finishing in two. On court 4,by breaking back and holding, suddenly UNC had USC feeling real pressure on both 4 and 3.
I was court side for this and watching confidence change to concern then to anguish, all within about 15 minutes, was an example of what makes investing time in watching college tennis worthwhile. I've been a fan on both sides of that experience,it's a painful way to lose, and a joyous way to win.

Tennishacker 02-10-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco forehand (Post 7203651)
UNC demonstrates a different sort of winning formula to get into the semi finales. Get's a win without the doubles point or a win on the two top courts.
After USC dominated in doubles they got off to a strong start on courts 1 and 2. UNC took first sets on the 4 lower courts and tied it up by closing out on 5 quickly. USC responded by forcing third sets on 3 and 4,then extended their lead to 3 1 by closing out on courts 1 and 2.
USC looked to be in total control with a break on court 4 (4-2) and two breaks on court 3 (3-0).
Court 6 was where the momentum swing started. UNC got their second point by finishing in two. On court 4,by breaking back and holding, suddenly UNC had USC feeling real pressure on both 4 and 3.
I was court side for this and watching confidence change to concern then to anguish, all within about 15 minutes, was an example of what makes investing time in watching college tennis worthwhile. I've been a fan on both sides of that experience,it's a painful way to lose, and a joyous way to win.

What a total melt down by USC.

Marco, was Zoe S. injured or something else going on with her. Playing at the #3 singles position compared to playing #1 last year?

Tennishacker 02-10-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7202710)
lol, ok Bruins are good.

Coach Stella making some good line up changes.

SoCal10s 02-10-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7204271)

Marco, was Zoe S. injured or something else going on with her. Playing at the #3 singles position compared to playing #1 last year?

I was noticed that too ... ZS is struggling at the 3rd spot ... maybe she caught the flu ...

marco forehand 02-10-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennishacker (Post 7204271)

I really can't say if she's injured or sick. I think all these players are dealing with some nicks and bruises,some more serious then others.
What I have noticed is that there may be more movement of players within a teams lineup with womens tennis then in mens.
UNC's #1 this year was getting inconsistent results at playing the 4 or 5 position last year.

marco forehand 02-10-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7202692)
Who said anything about ability? Anyone who says the Canes are better than the Bruins right now is nuts. But the Canes came maybe a tiebreaker away from pulling it off today. Good match.

Looks to me like the Canes best player was on the #6 court this weekend.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes her to get to the 1 spot.

SoCal10s 02-10-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marco forehand (Post 7205910)
Looks to me like the Canes best player was on the #6 court this weekend.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes her to get to the 1 spot.

what do you think of USC #1 and #2 and UCLA's #1 ..they haven't lost a match,beating a handful of ranked players ...

bluetrain4 02-10-2013 09:37 PM

I'm a Northwestern alum and have long followed the women's team. They've had quite a run of being in the Top 5-15 (with a high of No. 2 or 3 I think) for well over a decade. Not easy for cold weather teams.

Anyway, the seem to be about what I expected - down from last year, but still dangerous. They always play a tough schedule. They've already beat No. 38 Arkansas, lost to No. 21 Vanderbilt, lost to No. 3 Duke twice, beat No. 9 Alabama, beat No. 10 Miami, beat No. 6 Purdue (all while ranked No. 14). I'm predicting another NCAA round of 16 loss, which is good. But, next year, they face a crossroads for the first time in a long time, with three graduating starters. they always seem to get good recruits, but it's still a lot to ask of freshman. Plus plenty of other teams get food recruits too.