Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tier One triumph review (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454088)

Centerforward71 02-08-2013 06:12 AM

Tier One triumph review

First of all I want to say that I paid for a starter package and they were not given to me for free so I will give my best and more importantly honest review. I will start other threads for the polys this one is for the multi.

Ok let me start by saying that WOWW. A phenomenal, top quality, players string. I strung it at 60 on my new graphene speed pro 315 and if I tell you that this may be one of the best strings I have ever hit with. I am now at about 4 hours of total play.

First of all for a multi the durability is really good, 4 hours of hard hitting and the string is in great shape still, very little movement, very little signs of wear, performance as good as when I started, I'll,check tension later but really who cares the string is performing great 4 hours of hard drilling later.

Spin is what spin is for a multi, it's good not great but the control factor with this string is so high that it doesn't matter. Launch angles are penetrating but with tons of control.

Serve was really good, not the huge spinners but flat and slice serves where of the charts. Volley is good but need to hit more volleys to get better feel but do t see it being an issue. At house strung at 60 did not play stiff at any point. The string is not the crispest but its not mushy either to me it's right on the money where I like it.

Return of serve was really great

I want to find something negative to say but I can't.

If you like and play multis you need to give this string a test drive and even if you don't. To me this multi played more gut like than alot of the lower to medium end guts I've tested.

I may have found my new setup for match play and I'm not easy to please and very critical.

Buford T Justice 02-08-2013 08:28 AM

Just checked their site....some dang good deals on those intro packs. I think that pricing on the multipacks will force me to try one out.

I am curious about shifting to a multi (over the full poly I use now). I have started to play alot more and am concerned about arm health over the long run.

The "this may be one of the best strings Ive ever hit with" comment means I have to at least give this stuff a shot.

Buford T Justice 02-08-2013 08:30 AM

Center-

Are you seeing any meaningfu notching after 4 hours?

I ask as I have switched to the 99S, and this frame notches strings (as you know) very quickly.

Buford T Justice 02-08-2013 08:41 AM

Also, by chance have you ever tried Isospeed Professional? I was wondering how this string compares.

A buddy of mine who plays at a higher level is using the Isospeed (arm developed some tenderness) and loves it. I was thinking about trying it out....but the Isospeed gets SHREDDED in short order, which is a serious turnoff. (He shreds it in a day, which means I will probably shred it in 2). This stuff sounds like it might be similar in performance, but much more durable.

Centerforward71 02-08-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford T Justice (Post 7199835)
Center-

Are you seeing any meaningfu notching after 4 hours?

I ask as I have switched to the 99S, and this frame notches strings (as you know) very quickly.

No but I am using an 18x20.

Centerforward71 02-08-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford T Justice (Post 7199861)
Also, by chance have you ever tried Isospeed Professional? I was wondering how this string compares.

A buddy of mine who plays at a higher level is using the Isospeed (arm developed some tenderness) and loves it. I was thinking about trying it out....but the Isospeed gets SHREDDED in short order, which is a serious turnoff. (He shreds it in a day, which means I will probably shred it in 2). This stuff sounds like it might be similar in performance, but much more durable.

Have not tried isospeed

djNEiGht 02-08-2013 08:49 PM

I might get the intro demo reel that comes with a single set for testing.

Centerforward71 02-10-2013 06:30 AM

Another 2 hours of play with this string and still holdong pretty well although the string is startig to loose some of its softness and is well notched and the string movement is starting to get sloppy and hard to rearrange. Also on a 18x20 this is definitely a bigger issue. I am not sure its ready to break but the notching and drying has caused its natural snapback and flex to be lost a bit and in turn a bit of the performance. AGAIN A BIT, it is strill very playable but not at its best. This is a multi and about 6 hours of play on it, that is pretty good. Most POLYS I dont use for more than 6-8 hours anywyas before they break or I cut them.

Let me summarize this review because I said all I wanted to say with my first post. THIS STRING IS A PERFORMANCE string. If I had to play a match for my life and had to choose a string to do it, this string will be in my top 5 choices and could easily be the one. The control and confidence this string brings you is way up there and perhaps better than I have ever felt with a string. I beleive that faster swing speeds will definitely bring out the best of this string and the lower power players and lower tier players may not really enjoy what this has to offer. Its like putting me to drive an Indy Car, I could not possible get the most out of the car. This is a performance string and accents quality power strokes but does very little for sloppy slow ones, and I do have my sloppy ones at times to vouch for it. To use a golf term this is like a higher compression golf ball that unless you have the swing speed and the proper impact of a higher level player to be able to compress the ball you are wasting your money on this kind of expensive ball. (By the way I am a golf pro, sorry for the golf analogies its just sometimes they make it easier to explain or relate for me)

Again the only issue and its a NON ISSUE is the use as a daily play string where longevity becomes an issue, or the cost factor.

AGAIN in summary, this is a players string, this is a ferrari so those of you looking for a PRIUS look elsewhere.

3fees 02-11-2013 06:31 AM

AGAIN in summary, this is a players string, this is a ferrari so those of you looking for a PRIUS look elsewhere.

lol

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 7206473)

lol

Using the auto analogy.....What we all want in a string is more or less this......

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

Ferrari-like performance and Prius like economy.......does such a string exist?

TierOneSportsOfficial 02-13-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 7203849)
Another 2 hours of play with this string and still holdong pretty well although the string is startig to loose some of its softness and is well notched and the string movement is starting to get sloppy and hard to rearrange. Also on a 18x20 this is definitely a bigger issue. I am not sure its ready to break but the notching and drying has caused its natural snapback and flex to be lost a bit and in turn a bit of the performance. AGAIN A BIT, it is strill very playable but not at its best. This is a multi and about 6 hours of play on it, that is pretty good. Most POLYS I dont use for more than 6-8 hours anywyas before they break or I cut them.

Let me summarize this review because I said all I wanted to say with my first post. THIS STRING IS A PERFORMANCE string. If I had to play a match for my life and had to choose a string to do it, this string will be in my top 5 choices and could easily be the one. The control and confidence this string brings you is way up there and perhaps better than I have ever felt with a string. I beleive that faster swing speeds will definitely bring out the best of this string and the lower power players and lower tier players may not really enjoy what this has to offer. Its like putting me to drive an Indy Car, I could not possible get the most out of the car. This is a performance string and accents quality power strokes but does very little for sloppy slow ones, and I do have my sloppy ones at times to vouch for it. To use a golf term this is like a higher compression golf ball that unless you have the swing speed and the proper impact of a higher level player to be able to compress the ball you are wasting your money on this kind of expensive ball. (By the way I am a golf pro, sorry for the golf analogies its just sometimes they make it easier to explain or relate for me)

Again the only issue and its a NON ISSUE is the use as a daily play string where longevity becomes an issue, or the cost factor.

We just came across this thread: Centerforward71, thank you for your kind words about Triumph and making the effort to post this string review!

Centerforward71 02-13-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tieronesports (Post 7212367)
We just came across this thread: Centerforward71, thank you for your kind words about Triumph and making the effort to post this string review!

Just my humble and honest experience. This is a great string but like I said this is performance based not for those looking for big longevity. That said I'm having a hard time not having it in my racquets and so is one of my players. I'm gonna be posting two more reviews on FireWire and tour status shortly.

Centerforward71 02-13-2013 05:30 PM

I have to rephrase something I don't want to mislead. I said earlier that I felt this string is better suited for better player with higher swing speeds. I do think a mid level player can enjoy the comfort and control as well. Also that player with lesser swing speeds will also enjoy more longevity. The longevity statement was based on the higher swing speed player use.

I still feel that to really make this string sing a nice tune and worth its price you need the higher speeds and quality strokes. But you all can decide.

djNEiGht 06-27-2013 10:57 AM

Triumphant Beast

Tension it is strung: 55 on CP. Multi Main/Poly Cross
Your regular string set up: PPA full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 19
Power (or lack there of): med-high power
Feel: lively
Tension maintenance: 9% drop within a week
Price: $13.00/set, $180/reel - There is an introductory price that is roughly 50% less

Disclaimer: I will start off saying that I am a new stringer using a CP set up. The local shop uses a lock out. I am stringing at the same tension per say (number to number) for now and will consider making adjustments as I learn to string better and understand the compensations needed between CP/LO stringing.

General: This hybrid softened up the stiffness of a poly but still had good control.

Serve/Return of Serve: Serve has a good amount of pop to it. Service return was predictable.

Strokes: Nice zipp off the string bed and good depth. Chasing down lob/loopy shots that brought you to the back fence could easily be returned back past the service line with some good pace. Good feed back on both sides (semi western fh/eastern bh) and an ample amount of spin.

Volleys: Good put away and punch volleys. There was power behind those shots

Touch shots: The power behind those shots may have shot me in the foot. The string bed was a bit too hot for touch shots for me. I don't have the greatest drop/touch and need to work on it though. In better skilled hands it may be a different story

Softness: The poly I used has been comfortable in a full bed when freshly broken in. The multi has seemed to extend the life (or softness) of the string bed

Durability: I put this racquet away due to another play test but will be bring it back out. There is some notching and look to get maybe x2 more sets of singles.

Movement: When fresh the string bed would snap back. Now I find myself adjusting the mains a little bit.

Conclusion: The out wrap of the string is slick and seems to work well as a main in a hybrid. I think there is still a good number of rallies left in this before the performance dies or bed breaks. I will be adding more reviews soon (full bed 16x20, 16x19, 18x19, poly/multi 16x19) soon.