Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   OS, flexible and headlight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454133)

eman resu 02-08-2013 11:32 AM

OS, flexible and headlight

Can you name some oversized racquets that are also flexible and headlight? (there is the obvious POG, but I can't find it where I live)

I'm really enjoying my Sting 2 Largehead (110), but that thing is just too heavy AND headheavy (366g, about even balanced) for me to use regularly. I've already trimmed the bumper and it helped, but I have to string it too tight (60) with 1.25 string to keep it a bit lighter and more HL. I can play with it, but my arm would prefer something lighter at lower tension. (not to mention string durability)

wrxinsc 02-08-2013 12:31 PM

Volkl C10 Pro is not oversized, but it does have a 98" head size. Very flexible buttery feeling racquet and about 12.2 oz strung so has some plow. And I believe it is about 8 points HL so it comes to the ball with fine speed.

eman resu 02-08-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 7200439)
Volkl C10 Pro is not oversized, but it does have a 98" head size. Very flexible buttery feeling racquet and about 12.2 oz strung so has some plow. And I believe it is about 8 points HL so it comes to the ball with fine speed.

thanks, but I already have a MP that fits the bill. I'm looking for an OS (105 at least) that I can string low for comfort, is not too heavy and is HL enough.

wrxinsc 02-08-2013 01:42 PM

This will narrow down the choices for you then.

http://www.racquetfinder.com/

eman resu 02-08-2013 01:57 PM

I did a search on the finder, but I was hoping for other suggestions, as I didn't find many that suited my needs (or wants).

craigb 02-08-2013 02:01 PM

Flexible, oversize & light overall to me says Head Radical OS either Microgel or Liquidmetal. They are not very headlight but for me they start out so light I don't mind adding weight at the grip. I've got a couple of the LM Rad OS that I got 1 grip size small and added a shrinkwrap to which bumped up the overall weight and made them more headlight. That put them at about 350-352g overall (with Babolat aircell grip & overgrip) which may be heavier than you like. But the Heads have trap doors in the handle so it's easy to add weight to the handle to achieve your goals.

LeeD 02-08-2013 02:16 PM

Yeah, today used a MicroGelOS instead of my 310 SW Dunlop500's. It was fine.

eman resu 02-09-2013 01:43 AM

Yes, the Radical Os. The only problem is the 18x20 pattern, wich I dont like, but maybe in an OS it wouldn't feel too boardy. Plus, I'd be able to string it really low...
Is there anything like a 16 mais Rad OS? What about those exo3 blue/silver and similar, are they really as uncontrolable as they sound? Anyway, I was hoping for some names from the past, racquets I might cross at a store, used and cheap... :)

coachrick 02-09-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxinsc (Post 7200439)

There was a C10 oversize; BUT, you'd likely need to trim the bumper. I believe the lesser-known Tour 7 was designed for you, eman. Matches headsize almost exactly with my original Sting; but comes in at 322 vs 367. Interesting stick.

loosegroove 02-09-2013 08:33 AM

I like my old Ti Radical OS. And in the OS version,the 18x19 string pattern is pretty open. Not a dense string pattern at all.

corners 02-09-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eman resu (Post 7201634)
Yes, the Radical Os. The only problem is the 18x20 pattern, wich I dont like, but maybe in an OS it wouldn't feel too boardy. Plus, I'd be able to string it really low...
Is there anything like a 16 mais Rad OS? What about those exo3 blue/silver and similar, are they really as uncontrolable as they sound? Anyway, I was hoping for some names from the past, racquets I might cross at a store, used and cheap... :)

Radical OS pattern is pretty open. 18x20 in a 107. I think the Radical OS with some mass added to/in the handle would be just what you're looking for. Another option would be the Blade Team (now the Blade 104). Although only a 104, the headshape on this thing is awesome. It's wider than the Radical, offering a massive spin window. It also has sub-60 flex and a sweet 18x19 pattern. The new black one and the previous black and gold BLX versions both have power holes at 3&9 but the older K version does not. All are quite light and have low swingweight. But some lead at 12 and some silicone in the handle and you could easily make these into oversize players' sticks. I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

eman resu 02-10-2013 04:37 AM

Thanks for the answers. I remeasured my Sting 2 (trimmed bumper guard, new pacific supreme cushion grip + toalson overgrip, 1.25 babolat NVY syn. gut at 60lbs) and it turned out better than I thought it was: 364g and 6pts HL (:D). It's still too heavy, but at least the balance is a good one (don't know if this is accurate, though).
I'll stick with it for a while, since my Ozone tour needs restringing, and see how my arm handles this beast. I'm still concerned about the overall weight and the 60 lbs tension, though (also worried about string durability).