Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Bread and butter serve (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454134)

dlam 02-08-2013 11:34 AM

Bread and butter serve

If you are down 30-40 and miss 1st serve
Pressure is on facing 2nd serve
What is your bread butter serve on the ad side you know you will get in?

mikeler 02-08-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7200256)

Kicker down the middle if my opponent does not have a huge forehand to take a whack at it.

Govnor 02-08-2013 12:08 PM

Simple slice down the middle.

Buford T Justice 02-08-2013 12:14 PM

Anything that lands in.

Buford T Justice 02-08-2013 12:19 PM

In seriousness.....there is one guy I play (good pal....the guy Ive played the most against for sure) so he has seen my ball literally thousands of times. So, there is no fooling him....he knows whats coming.

In that case, I will DF alot more than usual, as I know exactly what hes going to try and do with a 2nd serve that is not hit well. He is going to run around it and bash a crosscourt FH on deuce side and DTL on the ad side. (My BH is better than my FH.) So, when I know he is going to do this, and be successful like 80-90% of the time, I will "go for it" on the 2nd and try to kick the you know what out of it to his BH. I figured the odds are higher than just hitting one that lands in the middle of the service box.

JLyon 02-08-2013 12:32 PM

try big kick out wide to open the court

Tammo 02-08-2013 12:38 PM

typo wrong thread

spot 02-08-2013 12:50 PM

Topspin serve to the backhand.

OrangePower 02-08-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 7200491)

Same here (assuming opponent is righty). Topspin 2nd serve wide on ad court is very reliable for me.

I make a distinction between topspin and kicker, which I'm not sure everyone does. Decent kicker is lower percentage for me.

dlam 02-08-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spot (Post 7200491)

what happen if he's lefty?

topspin serve to his forehand ? (same serve?)

spot 02-08-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7200523)
what happen if he's lefty?

topspin serve to his forehand ? (same serve?)

My serve out wide is far more reliable on the Ad side. If I was facing a lefty I would hit more of a body serve- he would still be able to hit a forehand off of it but hopefully he wouldn't be set up. In that situation my first serve would have been the topspin serve up the t- but I wouldn't trust myself to really go for the T on a second serve in a tight situation.

LeeD 02-08-2013 02:09 PM

Topspin serve either kicked or top/slice depending on backhand return skills of the opponent.

Fuji 02-08-2013 02:29 PM

Twist down the T. Most guys don't read a twist that well, so they jam themselves pretty easily. :)

-Fuji

LeeD 02-08-2013 02:34 PM

Matters little WHAT serve you hit.
Matters TONS how well you hit it, place it, and what you do to back it up.
At most levels, you can TELL the opponent what serve you're going to serve, and it won't matter one tiny bit.

OrangePower 02-08-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7200750)
Twist down the T. Most guys don't read a twist that well, so they jam themselves pretty easily. :)

-Fuji

Is that a high percentage 2nd serve for you?

I would unfortunately be serving many DFs with that strategy :cry:

Fuji 02-08-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangePower (Post 7200773)
Is that a high percentage 2nd serve for you?

I would unfortunately be serving many DFs with that strategy :cry:

Yup! Since I have a lame shoulder right now due to injury (from playing badminton nonetheless) I can't hit big bombs anymore. My biggest reliable first serves right now are at around the 80MPH mark. With that being said, I have been restricted to hitting with a ton of different spin varieties, thus my twist serve has gotten a fair amount of extra practice. I only double fault maybe once every set, if that?

-Fuji

LeeD 02-08-2013 03:06 PM

I'm with Fuji....
Since last week, I've been using an AmericanTwist exclusively for my second serves, and for most of my first serves. Don't think I missed more than 5 total in 3 playing days and over 9 sets of tennis.
I lost my Twist a month ago, and am looking for it still.

Drew_a_blank 02-10-2013 09:02 AM

For playing a right-handed player, a kick serve out to their backhand, ideally so they have to make contact from at least in the alley.

Cindysphinx 02-10-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlam (Post 7200256)

I will my usual slice serve and DF. Sorry.

SwankPeRFection 02-10-2013 09:33 AM

Something offensive and strong. It's always better to go for it and make the return more difficult than to just serve and get it in just to have it bashed back at you. What's good about not DF if the return is a winner anyway? You still lose the point. Learn to hit a strong second serve no matter what. Sometimes I even go for an ace on the second serve and get it when I'm down. People that I don't play much with are surprised. People I always play with know to expect it from time to time and know that sometimes the second serve is even more aggressive (kick wise) than the first was.