Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   3.0 NTRP Players getting certified to teach. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454143)

pondus 02-08-2013 11:58 AM

3.0 NTRP Players getting certified to teach.

Hi, I've heard of this new international body where they'll certify anyone to coach kids in competitive tennis, even if they can't barely hit a good ball themselves. The pitch I've heard is "Nick Bollitieri is not a player", but my understanding is that he played NCAA tennis.

Regardless, what do you think of this? Seems to me that unless one has carefully analyzed the internal feelings of how to properly activate and release the kinetic chain, teaching strokes will always be rather shallow.

barringer97 02-08-2013 01:20 PM

Interesting.

I'm guessing that the 3.0 coach won't make a career out of it, especially with kids. It's funny, I think kids can actually sniff out the good players, those are the types of coaches that they usually gravitate towards.

Bash and Crash 02-08-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barringer97 (Post 7200574)
Interesting.

I'm guessing that the 3.0 coach won't make a career out of it, especially with kids. It's funny, I think kids can actually sniff out the good players, those are the types of coaches that they usually gravitate towards.

True, I've seen pro's locally say that they played at 5.0, 5.5 level or some other made up level, and then the kids beat them 0-0. It's actually pretty comical, granted you may not have to be world class to be great teaching pro, but a 3.0 trying to teach may have tons of book knowledge and sound like they know it, but may never be able to relay it, learning can be so visual, players need to see it as well as hear it. Not great for biz, more "pro's" charging $25hr. and parents think they are getting a great deal.

Number1Coach 02-08-2013 02:59 PM

i am at best a 3.0 and I teach

Overdrive 02-08-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7200838)

Blasphemy!

You shall be burned at the stake!

:)

LeeD 02-08-2013 03:41 PM

I think a teaching pro needs to be able to TEACH tennis, not play tennis.
Makes no difference what level the teaching pro is, what counts is how well he teaches the fundamentals to beginner players, up to above his own level.
A teacher is a teacher. That is the job, not demonstrating the difference between Roddick's serve compared to Federer's.
And a teaching pro doesn't necessarily need to coach potential WTA and ATP pros.

hammer 02-08-2013 03:56 PM

Well, considering that the Miami Dolphins used to have a kicking coach who has been confined to a wheelchair his entire life, I can believe that a good coach doesn't necessarily have to be a good player, or even a player at all.

LeeD 02-08-2013 03:59 PM

How well do you have to play to organize and maintain a teaching program for kids who never played tennis before, and most will never play more than a week ever in their lives?

julian 02-08-2013 04:11 PM

What stops you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondus (Post 7200336)
Hi, I've heard of this new international body where they'll certify anyone to coach kids in competitive tennis, even if they can't barely hit a good ball themselves. The pitch I've heard is "Nick Bollitieri is not a player", but my understanding is that he played NCAA tennis.

Regardless, what do you think of this? Seems to me that unless one has carefully analyzed the internal feelings of how to properly activate and release the kinetic chain, teaching strokes will always be rather shallow.

What stops you from specifying the first LETTER of the name of the organization?

pondus 02-08-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julian (Post 7201007)
What stops you from specifying the first LETTER of the name of the organization?

I wasn't referring to recreational tennis. I'm all for that, as long at the love of the game is passed on to the kids. What I'm referring to is a school for high performance tennis where parents are sold an expensive ball machine and then are taught to do video analysis to make the kids hit just like Fed and Nadal.

Here's the link: http://www.tennisdev.com

Bash and Crash 02-08-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondus (Post 7201140)
I wasn't referring to recreational tennis. I'm all for that, as long at the love of the game is passed on to the kids. What I'm referring to is a school for high performance tennis where parents are sold an expensive ball machine and then are taught to do video analysis to make the kids hit just like Fed and Nadal.

Here's the link: http://www.tennisdev.com

Pondus, what is the fascination with Heath Waters, I assume this is his seminar and system, and in the other thread you started you zeroed in on him?

Overdrive 02-08-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bash and Crash (Post 7201371)
Pondus, what is the fascination with Heath Waters, I assume this is his seminar and system, and in the other thread you started you zeroed in on him?

He's secretly in love with him........

:cool:

Bash and Crash 02-08-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 7201376)
He's secretly in love with him........

:cool:

Good one, but that would be GA tennis....he is the Heath expert

NLBwell 02-08-2013 09:56 PM

Looks like the course is designed for those who are already tennis coaches.

Alohajrtennis 02-08-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7200838)

Yes, but are you certifiable ?

pondus 02-09-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bash and Crash (Post 7201371)

Good question; I'm trying to find a tennis system that is well structured, and Heath seems to have one. I've watched all the videos in his online course. His claims to coaching success are impressive, but I have no way of validating them. In my line of work, I'm used to dealing with information that is referenced, so it's just my skeptical nature that cause my discomfort at this I suppose. Add to this that he is certifying parents to teach who themselves wouldn't pass a basic playing test for NTRP 3.5, and this makes me a bit suspicious. Just trying to get more info, as I'm thinking of heading up to Atlanta to take the course

julian 02-09-2013 07:46 AM

It mentions parents AS WELL

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLBwell (Post 7201511)
Looks like the course is designed for those who are already tennis coaches.

It mentions parents AS WELL
See the link quoted above
NOT sure whether ALL parents are excellent players but ...

pondus 02-09-2013 05:35 PM

Have you heard the expressions "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence"? In this day and age where it's so easy to post information online, you'd think with so many claims he could at least provide a few names and references. This would make it a lot easier to vet his services.

I also wonder about anyone who claims to have access to special knowledge that no one else has. Also, the old "scientifically based" is often used but also too often abused. Anyhow, perhaps Talk Tennis is not the right place to do this research, as it seems no one has really heard of him. I've also heard instructors from IMG Bollietieri are taking his courses, perhaps I'll check with them to see what they thought (not sure how to track them down).

Bash and Crash 02-09-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondus (Post 7203035)
Have you heard the expressions "Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence"? In this day and age where it's so easy to post information online, you'd think with so many claims he could at least provide a few names and references. This would make it a lot easier to vet his services.

I also wonder about anyone who claims to have access to special knowledge that no one else has. Also, the old "scientifically based" is often used but also too often abused. Anyhow, perhaps Talk Tennis is not the right place to do this research, as it seems no one has really heard of him. I've also heard instructors from IMG Bollietieri are taking his courses, perhaps I'll check with them to see what they thought (not sure how to track them down).

I've used his website, and enjoy the info, and it helps confirm much of my teaching methods. I hear you on the braggadocio usually not what they say. But, he seems pretty legit and expensive, I feel that if pros used his philosophy of two years with him, and no other coach, commitment to 4 hour lessons, etc., they would also have pretty solid results. But, go check him out.

Chemist 02-09-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondus (Post 7203035)

GA and his friends in Georgia have taken Heath's seminar and highly recommended it.