Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringer that can swap Wise & Dropweight? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454146)

10SDad 02-08-2013 01:11 PM

Stringer that can swap Wise & Dropweight?

Looking for some feedback/advice. I have been using an inexpensive drop-weight for nine years, and am now looking to upgrade as I am expanding services. Iíve read a lot of forum posts on continuous pull vs. lockout and want to stay CP, so that leaves drop-weight and electronic. I need some portability and flexibility as well for situations where no power is available. A good majority of my stringing locally will be done at home, so the electronic option is good for that situation and would certainly be better for higher volumes. However, when I travel to my sonís college matches in the Fall and Spring he prefers my stringing, so I transport my stringer to do a bunch of his racquets on-location. This happens 3-4 times each Fall/Spring. Sometimes that is in a hotel room (available power) and sometimes on the court or at a tournament site (likely no power). Having flexibility also means an option to use the stringer even when the electronic tensioner has issues, which we all know at some point will be the case. Portability includes the option to set up at local tourneys, as well as put the machine away at home if need be. Iíve strongly considered the Stringway ML100, but cannot find that used, itís a pretty high cost new, and for volume it will likely be more time consuming than electronic. What Iíve read here that has intrigued me is good table-top machines that have been retrofitted with a Wise. My issue is they all seem to be crank machines not drop-weight, meaning my backup would be a transition from CP to lockout.

Are there any drop-weight machines with good mounting and a solid base that could be fairly easily retrofitted to provide for relatively quick swap out of the Wise and the stock drop-weight mechanism? That would provide CP regardless of tensioner, and use of the drop-weight as a backup when no power is available. Hoping to find a decent, used stringer with a good mounting system and invest additional dollars in the Wise and better clamps if need be. (Maybe an $800 or so investment.) Anyone have any direction or advice on this approach? Machines to consider? (Including brands like Eagnas which may provide a good enough base and mount.) Is it even feasible? Iím guessing one of the issues for the DWs is that they are not likely to have easily removable mounting brackets on the stock mechanism.

Thanks for any advice! 10SDad

Irvin 02-08-2013 01:15 PM

gamma Progression 2 w/Wise adapter.

Lakers4Life 02-08-2013 01:23 PM

I've seen one parent at a local junior tournment using the tow hitch reciever on his SUV to string rackets. He was using a crank, though.

I would say your best bet is Alpha Revo 4000, Eagnas Combo 810, or a Gamma X-ST, all crank machines but can easily adapt a Wise. As for power, you can always use a small portable generator. I've seen a couple of stringers use a small 1000w Honda generator, or use an inverter for you SUV.

What kind of DW do you have now?

10SDad 02-08-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7200412)
I've seen one parent at a local junior tournment using the tow hitch reciever on his SUV to string rackets. He was using a crank, though.

I would say your best bet is Alpha Revo 4000, Eagnas Combo 810, or a Gamma X-ST, all crank machines but can easily adapt a Wise. As for power, you can always use a small portable generator. I've seen a couple of stringers use a small 1000w Honda generator, or use an inverter for you SUV.

What kind of DW do you have now?

I'm finding a bit more on this, so sorry if I didn't quite do my due diligence before posting. Looks like Alpha Pioneer DC Plus is (or at least was) an option where Wise had an adapter, as well as the Eagnas Challenger. Both look like the base is bolted on.

The portable generator would likely be an issue at matches or tournaments unless I'm far enough away from the courts, and hauling it would be another challenge.

I've got a Klippermate. Has been great for myself and my two kids over the past nine years, but I know I'm not going to want to start doing a higher volume on it.

struggle 02-08-2013 01:55 PM

Get an Optimus battery for the vehicle and an inverter (for the power supply)

Honestly, I'd get a crank machine and adapt the WISE to that. In the event you need the manual, I'd think conversion back to the crank would be a better option than the DW conversion (short term). It's not as if you are gonna get the same results out of your WISE, etc as you would a DW anyhow.

apples and oranges.

Lakers4Life 02-08-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10SDad (Post 7200470)
I'm finding a bit more on this, so sorry if I didn't quite do my due diligence before posting. Looks like Alpha Pioneer DC Plus is (or at least was) an option where Wise had an adapter, as well as the Eagnas Challenger. Both look like the base is bolted on.

The portable generator would likely be an issue at matches or tournaments unless I'm far enough away from the courts, and hauling it would be another challenge.

I've got a Klippermate. Has been great for myself and my two kids over the past nine years, but I know I'm not going to want to start doing a higher volume on it.

If that's the case, you might want to consider a X-6FC. FaithfulFather, posted his conversion. http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=413988

Though it's probably easier to move a KM than a bigger machine.

10SDad 02-08-2013 07:00 PM

So I'm going to add one more question to the mix here, knowing it could get slapped down pretty quickly. If I'm considering Stringway, is the Eagnas Logic90 at all a feasible option, especially if I add SW flying clamps? (Not sure if the height would accommodate them.)

Lakers4Life 02-08-2013 07:20 PM

An Eagnas Logic 90 is bascially a Challenger II with a Stringway type Automatic Tension assembly. Why would you need flying/floating clamps, when it comes with fixed clamps?

10SDad 02-08-2013 07:59 PM

Just not sure how good those clamps would be and somewhat of a personal preference for flying. Stringways get great reviews.

Lakers4Life 02-08-2013 08:27 PM

I've never used floating clamps, but it's a world of difference between that and fixed clamps. Everyone whos switch to fixed clamps knows what I'm talking about.

FWIW, I've only used flying clamps to do crosses on a badminton racket, before getting badminton fixed clamps.

SwankPeRFection 02-10-2013 10:34 PM

Alpha Pioneer DC Plus can do it.

DBrickshaw 02-13-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7200388)
gamma Progression 2 w/Wise adapter.

with a gamma dropweight would you need the gamma adapter or the dropweight adapter or both?