Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Messed up cross tie off of nat gut string job (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454159)

Pickle9 02-08-2013 02:12 PM

Messed up cross tie off of nat gut string job
 
so i figured i try a set of nat gut. bought klip legend uncoated. strung it up last night and as i was tying the last knot it snapped on the knot. it looks like it will come undone at any moment. i've banged the string bed against my hand a few dozen times and it seems solid but i'm worried that i just wasted $26.

i figure i have three options:

1) play it as is. maybe it pops, maybe it doesn't. 50/50 imo.

2) cut it out. face the fact i screwed up and move on.

3) clamp off last main (i strung it as a one piece) and cut cross and tie off main. proceed to hybrid it with a alu rough cross.

i'm leaning toward option 3. i know it won't break prematurely and i've wanted to try gut/poly hybrid. willing to stick it out with option 1 because i bought another set (coated though).

Someone Else 02-08-2013 02:17 PM

Definitely option 1. Always take a chance. What do you have to lose?
Maybe it will last. Use it the way it is for as long as you can.

ultradr 02-08-2013 02:59 PM

snapped "on the knot"... if it feels solid, you still have a knot formed, I assume?

cltennis21 02-08-2013 03:07 PM

I'd normally clamp off one string before and don't string the last cross allowing you enough string to tie a knot on the other side. Wouldn't effect much... Mabye a tad softer but in my mind unnoticeable.

Pickle9 02-08-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultradr (Post 7200840)
snapped "on the knot"... if it feels solid, you still have a knot formed, I assume?





It is attempting to resemble one. Only thing is it was the first loop. If it snapped on the second loop it wouldn't be a problem, I have confidence in ONE solid knot but this is more like a half.

Pickle9 02-08-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cltennis21 (Post 7200867)
I'd normally clamp off one string before and don't string the last cross allowing you enough string to tie a knot on the other side. Wouldn't effect much... Mabye a tad softer but in my mind unnoticeable.

This is really intriguing. Prestige Pro 16x18?

diredesire 02-08-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickle9 (Post 7200903)




It is attempting to resemble one. Only thing is it was the first loop. If it snapped on the second loop it wouldn't be a problem, I have confidence in ONE solid knot but this is more like a half.

It's possible it holds, but if you hit dead on near the knot, it's probably going to pop out.

I'd recommend to all stringing out there to hand tie natural gut knots in the future. It's too easy to torque on it too hard with extremely tight bends. It'll snap.

BlueB 02-08-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cltennis21 (Post 7200867)
I'd normally clamp off one string before and don't string the last cross allowing you enough string to tie a knot on the other side. Wouldn't effect much... Mabye a tad softer but in my mind unnoticeable.

^ This. Easy, simple, reliable.

Alternativelly, if you have a bit of that string left:
Clamp off on second string up, tie-off there. Then string the last 2 crosses again using the left over pice from the original job.

If all failed, go with your hybrid idea (but use a smooth slippery poly), that plays nicer anyways!

ultradr 02-08-2013 05:33 PM

I would vote for
  • Clamp last main and re-tie off on neighboring hole ?

Maybe more stinging experts on this forum might help.

J011yroger 02-08-2013 05:45 PM

It will play fine with the last cross unstrung. I did it once, it was just a bit more lively. I think I even liked it better that way.

J

mikeler 02-08-2013 05:47 PM

Super glue the knot. Maybe it will hold longer.

Faithfulfather 02-08-2013 06:58 PM

Apply 5 minute epoxy or Gorilla Glue with a tooth pick or awl. Just make sure not to get it on the grommet. It will hold.

Pickle9 02-08-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueB (Post 7201083)
^ This. Easy, simple, reliable.

Alternativelly, if you have a bit of that string left:
Clamp off on second string up, tie-off there. Then string the last 2 crosses again using the left over pice from the original job.

If all failed, go with your hybrid idea (but use a smooth slippery poly), that plays nicer anyways!

Alright I went with this. A little nervous about applying crazy glue to the string so close to the grommet. Ali recommended the glue too.

Clamped off 18th cross.



Removed knot (came out really easily, surprised it was holding out). Started 19th cross and had to work a little magic to be able to get both through tie off hole but managed. Pulled the 19th main and tied them off.





Will try it out tomorrow if club is open. Jolly told me they were closing at 5pm today due to the storm. Heard the end of the island is getting it pretty hard, over a foot already. We have maybe 4-5 inches on south shore. Their website says there having a postponed opening, 3pm.

Faithfulfather 02-08-2013 07:55 PM

Looks like a good save. I'm glad for you. I'd hate to see you lose a 1/2 set of gut.

J011yroger 02-09-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pickle9 (Post 7201379)
Will try it out tomorrow if club is open. Jolly told me they were closing at 5pm today due to the storm. Heard the end of the island is getting it pretty hard, over a foot already. We have maybe 4-5 inches on south shore. Their website says there having a postponed opening, 3pm.

Want to come pick me up?

This is my car.





J

Pickle9 02-09-2013 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7201712)
Want to come pick me up?

This is my car.

J

gg

10goat

zerojoshua 02-09-2013 05:30 AM

Super Glue
 
A dab of super glue will fix it up...

:)

mikeler 02-09-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7201712)
Want to come pick me up?

This is my car.





J

It is 56 degrees here in Central Florida and not a cloud in the sky. Got the windows open and will head to the courts soon. :)

db10s 02-09-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7201712)
Want to come pick me up?

This is my car.





J

I guess I should enjoy the heat now as I'm going to school in NH next year.

Pickle9 02-09-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7201865)
I guess I should enjoy the heat now as I'm going to school in NH next year.

You're blobbed


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse