Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Why is nadal so much more popular than Djokovic? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454165)

dominikk1985 02-08-2013 02:29 PM

Why is nadal so much more popular than Djokovic?

I can understand why fed is more popular as he won a million slams and has a very elegant game.

However I'm not sure why nadal is so much more popular than nole. Nole was the best player over the last 2 years and he is also a very funny and intelligent person (IMO the most intelligent out of the top4-although I cannot judge murray). nadal on the other hand barely speeks english and is not an "interesting person" (not say he is boring but he doesn't have any apealing stories for the media) in general.

he is (was?) a fantastic player but his game does not have a federer level of elegance either.

so why is he still much more popular than nole? I agree that nole sometimes does questionable stuff but I do think he does not get the respect he deserves.

RAFA2005RG 02-08-2013 02:31 PM

Nadal is likeable. Djokovic is attention-seeking. And tennis-wise, Nadal is unorthodox, while Djokovic/Federer/Murrray are more textbook.

sureshs 02-08-2013 02:33 PM

Djokovic is a newcomer. Give him some time.

90's Clay 02-08-2013 02:34 PM

Nole's early years where he was rather obnoxious and attention seeking hurt him. Though I liked that Nole way better then the current one.

Love me some Nole with a chip on his shoulder. Its too bad he had to actually mature. An obnoxious jerk IMO is what this game needs .. Its a breathe of fresh air. Instead of these slew of politically correct PR prima donnas, always having to watch what they say or some sissy's feelings will get hurt

veroniquem 02-08-2013 02:34 PM

I like both but Rafa has achieved more than Djoko at this point (many more titles, slams, masters, etc). If Djoko continues winning at a regular pace, his popularity will increase accordingly.

Phoenix1983 02-08-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7200765)
Nole's early years where he was rather obnoxious and attention seeking hurt him. Though I liked that Nole way better then the current one.

Love me some Nole with a chip on his shoulder. Its too bad he had to actually mature. An obnoxious jerk IMO is what this game needs .. Its a breathe of fresh air. Instead of these slew of politically correct PR prima donnas, always having to watch what they say or some sissy's feelings will get hurt

I agree, they are all so bland these days. The last real character near the top of the sport was Safin.

veroniquem 02-08-2013 02:53 PM

Of the many things one could accuse Djoko of, 'bland" is not one...

tennispro492 02-08-2013 03:03 PM

nadal is more popular due to his rivalry with prime fed and the fact he has won 11 slams.

vladap 02-08-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7200762)
Djokovic is a newcomer. Give him some time.

Yeah, he's practically a rookie. Give him a decade or so and he will be there

xan 02-08-2013 03:10 PM

success, origin.

ollinger 02-08-2013 03:14 PM

Athletes who are Spanish speaking tend to be popular in countries where Spanish is spoken, and there are MANY of these, not least the USA among others. Not many places where Serbian is spoken, though Novak certainly speaks adequate English.

jaggy 02-08-2013 03:14 PM

Hitlers more popular than Djokovic

veroniquem 02-08-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7200886)

He is hated by some more than a despot/criminal would be, which frankly reflects badly on the people spewing that nonsensical venom. They need treatment (and a sense of decency).

Phoenix1983 02-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7200822)
Of the many things one could accuse Djoko of, 'bland" is not one...

Sorry but all he does is win matches with a boring grinding style and lacks the charisma of a Federer/Nadal, or the bad boy antics of a McEnroe/Connors type.

He's the identikit bland modern champion. :|

DropShotArtist 02-08-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7200886)

Don't forget honey boo boo either.

veroniquem 02-08-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix1983 (Post 7200908)
Sorry but all he does is win matches with a boring grinding style and lacks the charisma of a Federer/Nadal, or the bad boy antics of a McEnroe/Connors type.

He's the identikit bland modern champion. :|

Phoenix1983 02-08-2013 03:39 PM

^ so?

10djokerisblands

papertank 02-08-2013 03:53 PM

Nadal's rise to fame is basically because he represents the anti-Federer. Yin and yang. Not any better or worse, just opposite. Federer plays elegant and offensive attacking tennis while Nadal plays brutal and gritty counter-punching. Federer is the most naturally talented player to ever play while Nadal is the hardest worker. Federer exudes class and skill and Nadal brutality and youth. Anyone who dislikes one is bound to like the other.

Nadal definitely has character on his own but his traits are magnified by comparing him to Federer. Together they have achieved higher popularity than they ever would have separately. For Djokovic and Murray to achieve this kind of popularity they will have to take their rivalry to the next level.

NEW_BORN 02-08-2013 04:02 PM

Cuz when The Djok wins, he acts like a psychotic buffoon.
Gracious in defeat though.

single_handed_champion 02-08-2013 04:06 PM

Nadal is popular because he came up as Federer's nemesis. Fire vs ice, grit vs silk, rough-hewn vs smooth, counterpuncher vs attacker, moonball vs flatball (not to put him down, just wanted something concise here :) ). In addition, you can see the effort that goes into his game, which I think appeals to the common man.

Everything Djokovic is known for (defensive gets, physicality) was first spoken of in association with Nadal, even if he is better in some respects perhaps. Djokovic also has no unique shots or on-court persona.