Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Dug out my old Prince Graphite II (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454189)

DustinW 02-08-2013 06:30 PM

Dug out my old Prince Graphite II

I had 3 of these in high school and thought they were all gone until I discovered one left at my parents' house. New grip and new poly strings and it's ready for the court! Will try it out this weekend.

With an overgrip and dampener, it is 12.45 oz and 6 points HL.

Don't Let It Bounce 02-09-2013 01:15 AM

Nice photo; thanks for posting. Let us know how it plays this weekend.

DustinW 02-09-2013 10:57 AM

I just did some casual hitting this morning with my son, but man, what a beast! It actually felt a lot like the PDR+ that I usually play with... except heavier and more solid on contact. Tons of power and tons of spin, and just an unbelievable amount of heaviness to the balls that were coming off of my racket... and I never really unloaded on any.

I'm playing singles tomorrow with another 4.5 guy so it might be a different story, but I thought it felt great.

My son thought it was funny and kept calling it my "1900s racket"... I guess he's right. :(

DustinW 02-10-2013 10:21 AM

Ok, well, I played singles against a 4.5 guy this morning and won 2,3. The Graphite II does everything well... so crisp and solid on all shots. I like stiff frames, but this one is really stiff. I only felt it flex (a little bit) once, and that was on a forehand return that I just crushed. Compare that to the PDR+ which I can feel flex quite often.

I played the two sets and then went back to the PDR+ for a 10-point tiebreaker. The transition between these two frames is amazingly easy. After playing with the Graphite II, the PDR+ felt light and whippy. :)

Conclusions... while I played well with the Graphite II, I would probably start struggling to keep up against harder-hitting 5.0s. When I switched back to my PDR+, my first thought was that everything just felt more effortless. The bottom line is that there is really no benefit to me playing with such a heavy frame.

dak95_00 02-10-2013 11:42 AM

I'm not saying to switch frames but I'll offer an argument as to why this frame can still compete w/ today's "technology."

Sure it has heft compared to your newer frame. It was made w/ better components and is probably foam filled rather than hollow. That just means it has less room left for customization and its heft will lead to a heavier ball.

I doubt that the frame will cause you to lose to a 5.0 player. Its my experience that controlling the depth of your shots will dictate whether you are competitive or not. That is, if you are able to keep your shots in the back half of the court, you'll have a better chance.

A few years ago, I felt like you do and switched frames. I went to a lighter Head Radical. I missed the plow through but enjoyed the ability to swing harder and faster. What I found out after a period of time was that I was working harder to hit a deeper ball and that technique allowed me to hit the deeper ball easier w/ my POG and control rallies. I really missed the pop on my serves.

That's my 2cents; just sharing. I believe that the POG2 is still a good frame and a worthy competitor to today's frames. I think the headsize is also 97 sq. in.

DustinW 02-10-2013 12:00 PM

There's no doubt that the Graphite 2 can compete with today's frames. It hits a heavy ball, is probably the most rock-solid feeling frame I've ever played with, and it has tons of control and power. The sweetspot is plenty big, there are no dead spots, volleys are crisp and have tons of pop, and there was so much I could do with my serve.

I've tried to go lighter many times, but like you, I always end up back with a 12 oz frame. I was just saying that there may not be enough benefit for me to go from my 11.8 oz PDR+ to the 12.5 oz Graphite 2.

If I could find the feel of the Graphite 2 at about 12 oz, I'd probably jump on it in a heartbeat.

BlueB 02-10-2013 04:51 PM

Simple. Take off the leather grip, replace with an overgrip only. It should end up about 12oz and ballance would change closer to PDR, too.

andrei1306 04-03-2013 07:47 AM

Graphiteii

I just bought one of these from a local used sporting goods store for $25. It has the leather grip and I put an overgrip on it . On my scale it measures about 12 ounches flat with a dampener attached. I looked up specs and they are listed at 11.8 strung. How do you get 12.45?? I also played with the PDR Roddick variety and this one feels just as nimble but more solid and more precise than the hollow elbow dismanteler PDR. It reminds me of my old graphite oversize with a crispier more powerful feel while retaining the same control. I'm concerned however about the 14/18 pattern and string breakage. Does this one pop strings like the original POG? What can I do to fix that aside from redrilling the racket ?

robbo1970 04-04-2013 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrei1306 (Post 7322518)
I just bought one of these from a local used sporting goods store for $25. It has the leather grip and I put an overgrip on it . On my scale it measures about 12 ounches flat with a dampener attached. I looked up specs and they are listed at 11.8 strung. How do you get 12.45?? I also played with the PDR Roddick variety and this one feels just as nimble but more solid and more precise than the hollow elbow dismanteler PDR. It reminds me of my old graphite oversize with a crispier more powerful feel while retaining the same control. I'm concerned however about the 14/18 pattern and string breakage. Does this one pop strings like the original POG? What can I do to fix that aside from redrilling the racket ?

I expect the original grip has a bit of extra weight from imbedded sweat.

To make it lighter, I would add a Head synthetic leather grip (feels like leather but weighs the same as a synth grip). Then consider removing any bumper guard to try and retain a similar balance. That could drop it to just over 11oz.