Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Please critique my groundies (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454208)

ark_28 02-09-2013 03:33 AM

Please critique my groundies
 
Hi guys will post more videos soon but got this one of a rally when I was returning! :)

Would be greateful for any tips :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BSSnhspfpA

Moz 02-09-2013 03:36 AM

There's no urgency in your footwork and, partly as a result, you seem to end up bending at the waist for a lot of the balls whilst off balance.

So, more urgency, lower playing position and work to get into the right position to hit your shots.

ark_28 02-09-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 7201654)
There's no urgency in your footwork and, partly as a result, you seem to end up bending at the waist for a lot of the balls whilst off balance.

So, more urgency, lower playing position and work to get into the right position to hit your shots.

Thanks so much for that :)

footwork is certainly an area I can and need to improve! :) any drills that you suggest that I can do outside match play to work on this?

How are the strokes themselves looking? :)

Moz 02-09-2013 03:52 AM

I won't comment on the strokes as you're not getting yourself in the right position to hit them!

At this stage I would say it's less about the drills, more about approach to playing. Start off in a better athletic position, stay nice and low and compare the difference. Once the intensity is there you'll get a better idea what you need to work on in the form of drills.

ark_28 02-09-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 7201660)
I won't comment on the strokes as you're not getting yourself in the right position to hit them!

At this stage I would say it's less about the drills, more about approach to playing. Start off in a better athletic position, stay nice and low and compare the difference. Once the intensity is there you'll get a better idea what you need to work on in the form of drills.

Thanks mate! It is funny what you are saying is exactly what someone I hit with says, he says I strike a really nice ball but I come over very lethargic and not on my toes he feels that is really holding me back if I can combine good shot making with deccent ball striking hopefully results will start to show :)

Prodigy1234 02-09-2013 05:33 AM

You have the potential to have pretty good strokes if you can get your footwork down.

Bobby Jr 02-09-2013 05:56 AM

Ark 28, I think the key thing happening with your strokes is you don't hit them enough like John Isner. :p

ark_28 02-09-2013 07:13 AM

@prodigy1234, thank you

@BobyJr hahaha good call :)

Pet 02-09-2013 10:13 AM

sorry, are you using some type of jumpulse tecnique?

ark_28 02-09-2013 10:15 AM

Jumpulse? How do you mean??

Relinquis 02-09-2013 01:27 PM

notice how you had to rush to some of the short balls, or were not 'ready' to make the most of the easier balls, or were rushed at the net?

do a tiny 'split step' right before/at the time you opponent makes contact with the ball. this will load your legs and will allow you to move to where you want to go more easily. make it a habit and you won't have to think about it. suddenly you will find yourself pouncing on shots instead of chillaxing your way to the ball ;)

Vertiz 02-09-2013 01:41 PM

After watching the video, there are certainly a lot of things I could point out but like others said, the footwork should be mentioned first. Instead of hopping your way to the ball, take more actual steps and only split step when your opponent strikes the ball. This way you will be more balanced and get to the ball quicker. Maintain a lower center of gravity and really be precise/aggressive with your footwork. There are a lot of things I'd change about your stroke but I'm not a coach myself so I'm going to suggest you meet up with the top pro at your club or find a good teaching pro nearby. Best wishes :).

ark_28 02-09-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks guys!

Really appreciate the feedback! :-) I do hit with the coach and some other guys but I fear I may have to work with what I have as making major changes at my stage will be too difficult? With muscle memory etc or can it be done?

Relinquis 02-09-2013 02:11 PM

to be honest, we haven't really seen that many strokes. one backhand slice off of a low ball, a half volley and a return of serve forehand.

we need to see you hit a few more times.

BevelDevil 02-09-2013 02:15 PM

Turn your shoulders more on both sides.

On your top spin 1hbh, you need to take the racket back more behind you. Your buttcap should point to the side fence on your backswing.

ark_28 02-09-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7202617)
to be honest, we haven't really seen that many strokes. one backhand slice off of a low ball, a half volley and a return of serve forehand.

we need to see you hit a few more times.

Fair point will take more videos of more rallies and upload! Thanks again for you feedback :-)

Thanks BD very good point :-)

OHBH 02-09-2013 02:34 PM

You have no backswing, you just set the racket behind the ball and push it forward. Very tough to get any fluidity, consistency, or power that way.

ark_28 02-10-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBH (Post 7202655)
You have no backswing, you just set the racket behind the ball and push it forward. Very tough to get any fluidity, consistency, or power that way.

That's a good call mate thanks

ark_28 02-10-2013 12:13 PM

Thanks again guys, any other tips Or observations? :-)

TheCheese 02-10-2013 12:41 PM

Your splitstep doesn't seem to be doing anything for you in terms of helping you get to the ball. Try being more explosive in the splitstep and getting a little higher of the ground.

You should know where the ball is going before you land. When you land, you should immediately push off on the opposite leg from where the ball is going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ulkhbbUxU#t=7s

Right now you seem to be landing on both feet. Either you're mistiming the splitstep or it's not quite explosive enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...SnhspfpA#t=20s

This shot is a great example. You land on both feet and THEN you push off with one foot to run towards the short ball. You should be pushing off as soon as you land.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse