Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Need help starting mains. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454263)

Bobo96 02-09-2013 03:23 PM

Need help starting mains.

I am new to stringing. I own a new Alpha pioneer DC plus drop weight stringer. My friends dad taught me how to string on his electric stringer.

He taught me to start the mains by pulling the first two mains together, but only clamping one, and then pulling the one that I didn't clamp again and then clamping it. It was easy on the electric, but on mine it seems nearly impossible to pull both without one slipping. I used to have to try at least 10+ times (except for the few times I got lucky).

Lately I've been getting so dang frustrated by it that I looked online for a different way to do it. I found one guy that did it by putting a clamp on one of the strings without even tensioning it. Then he just pulled the other string (the one that wasn't clamped) and continued to string one string to the left and then one to the right, without ever tensioning that one string that he originally clamped.

I tried this and it worked just fine, and was much less frustrating. I later asked a friend about it and he said that starting the mains like that could damage the frame.

Any help or video resources would be appreciated.

Btw I am currently only stringing one piece. I am going to try to learn two piece in the near future, however, as I am possibly switching to a head racquet.

Lakers4Life 02-09-2013 04:02 PM

Here is Yulitle's video on starting mains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygwsrrrj04Q

Does you drop weight have a rotational gripper or a sliding gripper?

Bobo96 02-09-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7202842)
Here is Yulitle's video on starting mains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygwsrrrj04Q

Does you drop weight have a rotational gripper or a sliding gripper?

Thanks for the video, but how yulittle starts is the sameway my friends dad showed me.

My stringer has a sliding gripper.

Lakers4Life 02-09-2013 04:32 PM

You stack the strings in the gripper to get two in at the same time to set the Anchor clamp. You don't have to do it that way, but it's easier.

The other way is to clamp the untensioned string like in the video, (let say the left side) and pull the right side main. You may want to hold the clamp up to the level of the string bed while tensioning. Or else it will drop below. Once you have tension. Clamp off the right side and both clamps should have tension. Then continue like in the video.

The reason you don't want to pull directly on a clamped string without going through a grommet loop is it may slip and damage the string. Some people use a starting clamp behind the anchor clamp to keep the string from slipping.

Bobo96 02-09-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7202894)
You stack the strings in the gripper to get two in at the same time to set the Anchor clamp. You don't have to do it that way, but it's easier.

The other way is to clamp the untensioned string like in the video, (let say the left side) and pull the right side main. You may want to hold the clamp up to the level of the string bed while tensioning. Or else it will drop below. Once you have tension. Clamp off the right side and both clamps should have tension. Then continue like in the video.

The reason you don't want to pull directly on a clamped string without going through a grommet loop is it may slip and damage the string. Some people use a starting clamp behind the anchor clamp to keep the string from slipping.

okay, thanks alot. So just to be clear doing it the second way like I saw in the video I was talking about won't damage the racquet, right?

Also, what exactly is an anchor clamp?

Lakers4Life 02-09-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo96 (Post 7202937)
okay, thanks alot. So just to be clear doing it the second way like I saw in the video I was talking about won't damage the racquet, right?

Also, what exactly is an anchor clamp?

The anchor clamp is the first clamp you set. In the video the left side at the top of the racket. The second clamp you set is the tensioned string on the right side.

Irvin 02-09-2013 05:06 PM

Do you have a starting clamp?

Bobo96 02-09-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7202968)
Do you have a starting clamp?

To be totally honest, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure I just have two fixed clamps that came with the machine. I'm not sure what a starting clamp is, so I can't really tell you.

Lakers4Life 02-09-2013 05:36 PM

Gamma Starting Clamp:

Bobo96 02-09-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7203039)
Gamma Starting Clamp:

Thanks! No I don't have one.

Bobo96 02-10-2013 06:57 PM

Why/what would I need a starting clamp for?

struggle 02-10-2013 07:36 PM

you don't NEED one, but they are nice to start crosses, as opposed to using a starting KNOT. the clamp holds the string until you come back and pull that last (first) cross and finish it like any other tie off.

they are also nice for pulling knots tight (it's best not to tension knots with the tensioner, the DW in your case, but it is considered acceptable by many).

again, you don't need one but they sure are nice. many folks have two.

edit: Irvin will soon chime in with 20-some odd MORE reasons to have one, or two starting clamps. ;)

Lakers4Life 02-10-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo96 (Post 7205796)

You really have to ask? There are numerous uses for a starting clamp. It's mainly used to start Crosses, but has several other uses as well. Some people use it to pull knots. I highly recommend it to any stringer that does not have one. All I can say is once you start using one, you'll reget not getting one sooner.

This link should give you an idea on how it works. http://www.eagnas.com/maxgen1/pp600.html

SwankPeRFection 02-10-2013 09:29 PM

The DC Plus can pull two strings at one without slipping at the tensioning head. Just make sure both strings are in there. Once that's done, clamp one off and pull tension again. If for some reason, the string slips at the clamp, then you're not clamping down hard enough on the string. Tighten the clamps a bit more and try again. Do it just a bit at a time until you find the best hold while not damaging the string. It takes a little testing around, but eventually you'll find that strings are more durable than you think.

BTW, strings tend to slip when you go crazy on the weight. If you're stringing 60# worth of weight, then that's probably your problem. Either string lower or just tighten your clamps. I find that a lot of people string a lot higher than they actually need to and don't even know it.

Irvin 02-11-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo96 (Post 7205796)

If you had a starting clamp you could start you mains only pulling one string.

Woolybugger 02-11-2013 06:19 AM

Bobo96, I have the same stringer as you and here's how I do it.
First, beware of the "tower creep" problem - that's where the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock mounts will creep inwards. I solved the problem by putting a piece of leather between the tower and the base to increase friction.

Second, buy a starting clamp. Makes life much easier. First, put the starting clamp on one mains, then (fix) clamp that same main. So - you have both a clamp and the starting clamp holding it. Just make sure the fixed clamp doesn't sag down - might have someone hold it in place. Next, pull tension on the other mains, and keep going until you string 3 mains. Now go back to the main with the starting clamp, pull tension on it and string 5 mains, etc....
I've done >50 frames this way and no problems at all.

anubis 02-11-2013 07:28 AM

i start my mains with a starting pin:

http://www.stringerspad.com/flypin.html

Works fine for me.

Bobo96 02-11-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7206011)
The DC Plus can pull two strings at one without slipping at the tensioning head. Just make sure both strings are in there. Once that's done, clamp one off and pull tension again. If for some reason, the string slips at the clamp, then you're not clamping down hard enough on the string. Tighten the clamps a bit more and try again. Do it just a bit at a time until you find the best hold while not damaging the string. It takes a little testing around, but eventually you'll find that strings are more durable than you think.

BTW, strings tend to slip when you go crazy on the weight. If you're stringing 60# worth of weight, then that's probably your problem. Either string lower or just tighten your clamps. I find that a lot of people string a lot higher than they actually need to and don't even know it.

Thanks. I have no problem with the string slipping from the clamp, it's just one string slips from the tensioner a lot.

Bobo96 02-11-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woolybugger (Post 7206447)
Bobo96, I have the same stringer as you and here's how I do it.
First, beware of the "tower creep" problem - that's where the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock mounts will creep inwards. I solved the problem by putting a piece of leather between the tower and the base to increase friction.

Second, buy a starting clamp. Makes life much easier. First, put the starting clamp on one mains, then (fix) clamp that same main. So - you have both a clamp and the starting clamp holding it. Just make sure the fixed clamp doesn't sag down - might have someone hold it in place. Next, pull tension on the other mains, and keep going until you string 3 mains. Now go back to the main with the starting clamp, pull tension on it and string 5 mains, etc....
I've done >50 frames this way and no problems at all.

Thanks a lot! What is the cheapest I could buy a "quality" starting clamp?

Irvin 02-11-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobo96 (Post 7206593)
Thanks. I have no problem with the string slipping from the clamp, it's just one string slips from the tensioner a lot.

That's because you are pulling two strings. The YULitle method was designed to eliminate double pulling the two center mains when you have floating clamps.