Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   FYI: I'm going to attempt to live-stream a stringing room 2013/02/13 - 17 WED-SUN (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454295)

diredesire 02-10-2013 12:31 AM

FYI: I'm going to attempt to live-stream a stringing room 2013/02/13 - 17 WED-SUN

Stream link - check if live according to below schedule, no promises on broadcast availability...
http://www.twitch.tv/diredesire/

Hi all, I'll be stringing for the ITA National indoors tournament next week, and I'm going to attempt to live stream it. I'm unsure on the hours the stream will be live, AND I'm unsure of the quality of internet service I'll have, but I just wanted to give a heads up. I'll be updating this thread with more details as it comes to me.

I have a preliminary schedule already, but there are two sites that we're stringing at, and the site I'm scheduled to be at for most of the weekend is tentative on internet availability.

If there's no internet availability, or it's spotty, I'm going to try to shift schedule to Thursday afternoon - EOD at the "good" site. I'll also be pushing for Friday AM-Evening.

Saturday 8AM-EOD P.S.T. will almost surely be broadcasted, and EOD is likely very, VERY late into the morning hours.

Best case, you'll have two 1/2 day footage, and one full day's footage. The viewing area is going to vary from eye level as a "survey" of the stringing room, to directly above a stringer's machine so you can see what they're doing with their hands.

I'll preface this with the warning: stringing skill level ranges from "ok" to very high, but the setup we've got is NOT going to be "tour"/pro level. The stringers are primarily college students, and they normally string for the home team. Equipment will likely be Gamma Progression ESII+ machines, and you might get a glimpse of my ELS 5800 and/or a Star 4 if all goes well at the other site.

I'll be hosting on justin.tv/twitch.tv -- and if you sign up for an account, you can post questions/comments in chat, and I'll try to drop in from time to time to interact with viewers. I'm not really expecting more than a handful of viewers at any given time, though. I will likely be posting Videos on Demand (VODs) after the event is over if anyone cares to check them out.

Please post any questions/requests here.

Edit: I'll be weighing/checking balance of frames upon request, too. Not all players/teams string through us, so I'll do what I can to fulfill requests...

http://www.itatennis.com/Events/ITAN...eamIndoors.htm
Tournament info here (seems like their page is woefully under-updated)

Update -- Schedule is likely as follows (all times PST):

Friday 8A - 4P
Saturday 6P - EOD

If wireless is provided at the other site, it'll probably look something like:
Weds 6P - EOD (I expect 3-5 AM)
Thurs 6P - EOD (1A?)
Friday 8A - 4P; 5P - EOD
Saturday 8A - 5P; 6P - EOD
Sunday: 8A - 6P

Squidward 02-10-2013 04:14 AM

Thanks DD, I'm really looking forward to this!

diredesire 02-10-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidward (Post 7203670)
Thanks DD, I'm really looking forward to this!

Sure, no problem. The stringing room setup is going to be pretty ad hoc, though. We don't have a dedicated area for stringing at this event, so we always get stuck in the weirdest spots...

Lakers4Life 02-10-2013 01:16 PM

Cool! If you don't have Wifi coverage, you try to use a mobile hot spot, like a Sprint Clear, virgin 4g, or netzero 4g.

themitchmann 02-10-2013 02:35 PM

This is awesome!

diredesire 02-10-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7204735)
Cool! If you don't have Wifi coverage, you try to use a mobile hot spot, like a Sprint Clear, virgin 4g, or netzero 4g.

Yeah, I'm not going to subscribe just for this ;) I can tether to my phone, but i have no idea how fast the data cap will be eaten up. In any event, I'll just be streaming over wifi if available. I'll ask my buddy to switch up the schedule so I've got the most time at the other site if necessary. We'll see how it goes.

Roger Wawrinka 02-11-2013 09:02 AM

What website and we see the live stream on? Or how?

diredesire 02-11-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 7206790)
What website and we see the live stream on? Or how?

I'll probably post a link here when it's up, otherwise there's nothing to see ;) Let me do a test stream this Wednesday on site before I commit to anything. I want to make sure it's working first.

Lakers4Life 02-11-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7205654)
Yeah, I'm not going to subscribe just for this ;) I can tether to my phone, but i have no idea how fast the data cap will be eaten up. In any event, I'll just be streaming over wifi if available. I'll ask my buddy to switch up the schedule so I've got the most time at the other site if necessary. We'll see how it goes.

Virgin for instance has a "per day" plan that give you unlimited 4G for $5 for the day. Though you have to buy the unit. I have the Overdrive Pro, and use it when I'm on long trips away from home.

I kinda pictured you and your string team stringing in the bleachers. :lol:

drakulie 02-11-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks for doing this. Very cool. Look forward to
It.

mrmo1115 02-11-2013 07:50 PM

Can you keep an eye on how many guys are bringing the new Graphene Speed Pro's up to the tournament? Would love to know how many have made the switch already.

diredesire 02-11-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 7208146)
Can you keep an eye on how many guys are bringing the new Graphene Speed Pro's up to the tournament? Would love to know how many have made the switch already.

Will do, I'll update this thread as I see them trickle in.

Schedule updated. Bank on the first set of times, the other is up in the air. I might be able to swing all day Friday, but I'll probably **** some people off.

Irvin 02-11-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7208288)
Will do, I'll update this thread as I see them trickle in.

Schedule updated. Bank on the first set of times, the other is up in the air. I might be able to swing all day Friday, but I'll probably **** some people off.

hummm I hope you made a typo there DD

beernutz 02-12-2013 07:43 AM

Very cool idea, thanks for doing it. Are you going to wear an 'I'd hit it' t-shirt so we'll know which one of the stringers is you?

zapvor 02-12-2013 07:17 PM

very cool! i wont be able to watch it live but would love to see some of the action after on youtbe or something

diredesire 02-12-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7208326)
hummm I hope you made a typo there DD

:oops::oops::oops:
Freudian slip, I'll backpedal and pretend I was referring to tennis racquets...

Quote:

Originally Posted by beernutz (Post 7208896)
Very cool idea, thanks for doing it. Are you going to wear an 'I'd hit it' t-shirt so we'll know which one of the stringers is you?

I'll possibly wear TW shirts while I'm on cam! I'll be chatting a bit with any viewers, so I'm not too worried about it. I just got word today that they're probably going to relocate us to a larger area, but it's further away from the courts, and probably not even in the same building anymore. I'm going to try to get my buddy to scope the place out, but I'll figure it out when I get there. I just really hope there's an ethernet jack I can plug a router into...

diredesire 02-12-2013 10:37 PM

Updated OP with test stream, I'm not really happy about the quality, it's kind of choppy. I think I should have "warmed up" for this event, too... I haven't strung in quite a while. Missing a lot of little things here and there. We'll see how my fingers fare throughout the weekend.

I don't think I'll be able to fix the stream quality before the event, but I'm actually going to decrease the quality slider in the hopes that the frame rate goes up significantly. There seems to be a lot of dropped frames at the moment, feels like warp drive even though I'm not actually moving that fast.

Lakers4Life 02-12-2013 10:41 PM

Checked out your test video, it seems fine.

Were you holding the end of the string in your mouth?

What's the deal with all those wine bottles?

BTW, be careful of those base clamps, I dislocated my thumb on those.

diredesire 02-12-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7210744)
Checked out your test video, it seems fine.

Were you holding the end of the string in your mouth?

What's the deal with all those wine bottles?

BTW, be careful of those base clamps, I dislocated my thumb on those.

I'm a RAGING alcoholic. No, actually I homebrew, so I collect them from the recycling "garage" whenever I recycle my cardboard. Yes, I use my mouth often. Gross, but it gets the job done, and I minimize the time the string spends on the floor... Now that you have me thinking about it, though, I'd rather not think about it. :-?

How did you dislocate your thumb, exactly?

beernutz 02-12-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7210760)
I'm a RAGING alcoholic. No, actually I homebrew, so I collect them from the recycling "garage" whenever I recycle my cardboard. Yes, I use my mouth often. Gross, but it gets the job done, and I minimize the time the string spends on the floor... Now that you have me thinking about it, though, I'd rather not think about it. :-?

How did you dislocate your thumb, exactly?

Cool, another homebrewer. I did my first all grain batch in 1990 but haven't brewed in nearly a decade since I'm in one of the last two remaining states where it is technically illegal even though apparently the prohibition is not enforced. But I say once a homebrewer always a homebrewer.