Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Andy Murray - One Slam Wonder? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454335)

Hawkeye7 02-10-2013 11:38 AM

Andy Murray - One Wind Slam Wonder?
 
He hasn't won a Major in over 4 months. I just don't think we can expect much after witnessing the poor form he's been showcasing lately... It all started when he lost one set in Brisbane and needed 5 sets to beat a barely moving Federer, playing the worst match of his career. I mean, he hasn't even played a final in 2 weeks or won a match for that matter. He's clearly hopeless as it's very unlikely that wind will aid him to another outdoor title ever again.

veroniquem 02-10-2013 11:44 AM

Murray has been playing fantastic since Wimbledon. Other than Canada and Tokyo, he's only lost to Fed and Djoko (and beat both of them as well) and he's made 3 slam finals in a row. I expect great results from him this year (except maybe on clay).

batz 02-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7204477)
He hasn't won a Major in over 4 months. I just don't think we can expect much after witnessing the poor form he's been showcasing lately... It all started when he lost one set in Brisbane and needed 5 sets to beat a barely moving Federer, playing the worst match of his career. I mean, he hasn't even played a final in 2 weeks or won a match for that matter. He's clearly hopeless as it's very unlikely that wind will aid him to another outdoor title ever again.

Beautifully put.

As you've rightly stated, It's been weeks since a British male made a slam final and over 4 months since a Brit won one of the bloody things.

Will these days of hurt never end? Won't the tennis tornado gods relent and give Albion's finest a second flukey win?

Mainad 02-10-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7204477)
He hasn't won a Major in over 4 months.

There's only been two Majors in the last 4 months! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7204477)
I just don't think we can expect much after witnessing the poor form he's been showcasing lately... It all started when he lost one set in Brisbane and needed 5 sets to beat a barely moving Federer, playing the worst match of his career.

I thought the worst match of Fed's career was the Olympic final? :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7204477)
I mean, he hasn't even played a final in 2 weeks or won a match for that matter. He's clearly hopeless as it's very unlikely that wind will aid him to another outdoor title ever again.

Well you never know with his luck. He's the luckiest guy ever to play tennis. Didn't you know? :)

(PS. Nice bit of trolling. My responses were only for those who think you're being serious!)

:)

90's Clay 02-10-2013 11:54 AM

Nahh.. Murray will manage another 2-3 slams at least. Fed and Nadal all on their way out, Nole won't dominate EVERY slam, and no depth at all in the men's game.

Cup8489 02-10-2013 12:03 PM

Murray will win a slam this year.

Hawkeye7 02-10-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7204508)
I thought the worst match of Fed's career was the Olympic final? :wink:

That doesn't count because Fed just felt sorry for Murray. I mean, he tired himself out deliberately in the semis so he could assure Murray got at least one meaningful win in his career. Such a nice and caring guy, this Swiss bloke.

Quote:

(PS. Nice bit of trolling. My responses were only for those who think you're being serious!)
I'm dead serious.

spperry 02-10-2013 12:11 PM

I think he will win a couple more at least.

The AO was very close for first 2 sets and is Djokovic's best slam.

I think he has a good chance at both Wimbledon and US Open.

Rock Strongo 02-10-2013 12:13 PM

People named Andy are just unlucky when it comes to slam finals it seems...

WhiskeyEE 02-10-2013 12:37 PM

murray is almost 26. he's past his prime and won't win another slam. he was extremely lucky to win the one he did. he will make several more finals though and will go down as the worst slam finals player in history.

batz 02-10-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 7204608)
murray is almost 26. he's past his prime and won't win another slam. he was extremely lucky to win the one he did. he will make several more finals though and will go down as the worst slam finals player in history.

Luckiest player ever to play the game.

Tell me - in which of the last 3 slam finals did Murray hit his prime? It's just that he's made 3 finals in the last year against 3 finals in the previous 6 - I guess most people would look at that data and conclude that Murray is still on the up - so I'm wondering what insight you have that suggests otherwise?

BTW didn't you say that Murray would never win a slam? Do you always double up when you're wrong?

Hawkeye7 02-10-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 7204608)
murray is almost 26. he's past his prime and won't win another slam. he was extremely lucky to win the one he did. he will make several more finals though and will go down as the worst slam finals player in history.

I always admire the confidence in these absolute statements. *in love*

TTMR 02-10-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7204641)
Luckiest player ever to play the game.

Tell me - in which of the last 3 slam finals did Murray hit his prime? It's just that he's made 3 finals in the last year against 3 finals in the previous 6 - I guess most people would look at that data and conclude that Murray is still on the up - so I'm wondering what insight you have that suggests otherwise?

BTW didn't you say that Murray would never win a slam? Do you always double up when you're wrong?

He's just responding to the reality of the facts at hand. Delusional thinking has always been a mainstay of Murray and his fans. He lucked out to get the one he did. If Nadal was playing, Murray would still have no slams and go down as one of the biggest failures in tennis history.

Murray is a wind-slam wonder. Deal with it. Try winning 17 slams--legitimately--I might add, then we'll talk.

batz 02-10-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTMR (Post 7204675)
He's just responding to the reality of the facts at hand. Delusional thinking has always been a mainstay of Murray and his fans. He lucked out to get the one he did. If Nadal was playing, Murray would still have no slams and go down as one of the biggest failures in tennis history.

Murray is a wind-slam wonder. Deal with it. Try winning 17 slams--legitimately--I might add, then we'll talk.

:) Genius. Pure genius.

Hawkeye7 02-10-2013 01:09 PM

Today:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTMR (Post 7204675)
He's just responding to the reality of the facts at hand. Delusional thinking has always been a mainstay of Murray and his fans. He lucked out to get the one he did. If Nadal was playing, Murray would still have no slams and go down as one of the biggest failures in tennis history.

Murray is a wind-slam wonder. Deal with it. Try winning 17 slams--legitimately--I might add, then we'll talk.

October 2011:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTMR (Post 6056649)
For the last point, see Murray vs. Djokovic in Rome. That was arguably the best match of the year. Murray was two service points away from defeating Djokovic, who was playing some of his best tennis this season. In 2011, Murray is at least on par with Federer, and prize money/points to date reflect that. Honestly, I'm under the impression you only watch slams and glean everything about a player from that. In fact, it is clearly the case if you think "Murray has been nowhere except Tokyo lulz". Do I have to list the number of Masters titles he won where he has beaten 'the big three'?

Again I ask, which is more likely? That Murray overachieves in lower level tournaments and has just skated by on luck and relative indifference of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic? Or that he underachieves in slams due to his mentality?

Murray is the more dynamic player because he can employ successfully a wider number of shots and tactics. I think for the same reason Federer, for instance, is a more dynamic player than Djokovic or Nadal.

Before 2011, this forum was mocking and deriding Djokovic as a 'mental midget with the heart of a loser'. If you had claimed he had a 'champion's mentality' one year ago today, you would have been ridiculed. In 2010, Djokovic was essentially in the same position Murray is now. Sure, everyone forgets it now that the bandwagon has picked up full steam, but Djokovic was constantly derided for his racquet smashing, injury time outs and self-flagellation on the court. He had a slam under his belt, but he was usually dismissed as a one slam wonder.

So when exactly did you change your tune?

The Bawss 02-10-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTMR (Post 7204675)
He's just responding to the reality of the facts at hand. Delusional thinking has always been a mainstay of Murray and his fans. He lucked out to get the one he did. If Nadal was playing, Murray would still have no slams and go down as one of the biggest failures in tennis history.

Murray is a wind-slam wonder. Deal with it. Try winning 17 slams--legitimately--I might add, then we'll talk.

Beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye.

batz 02-10-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkeye7 (Post 7204710)
Today:



October 2011:



So when exactly did you change your tune?

He hasn't. His schtick is extreme sarcasm.

Antonio Puente 02-10-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Murray is a wind-slam wonder.
Canadians have a great trolling tradition - Buckethead, Blinkism, TTMR. Then you have Smasher.

WhiskeyEE 02-10-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7204641)
Luckiest player ever to play the game.

Tell me - in which of the last 3 slam finals did Murray hit his prime? It's just that he's made 3 finals in the last year against 3 finals in the previous 6 - I guess most people would look at that data and conclude that Murray is still on the up - so I'm wondering what insight you have that suggests otherwise?

BTW didn't you say that Murray would never win a slam? Do you always double up when you're wrong?

His prime was 2011. He has done better at slams only because Nadal is out of the picture and Fed is even older.

I did say that and, as far as I'm concerned, Murray never won that slam. He was gifted it by the extreme wind and his "win" should have an asterix next to it. I guess you could hope for another freak of nature, but I'm betting against it.

Hawkeye7 02-10-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batz (Post 7204715)
He hasn't. His schtick is extreme sarcasm.

Still a troll.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse