Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Zebalos Back Hand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454370)

OddJack 02-10-2013 06:12 PM

Zebalos Back Hand

How many errors could you count from that wing the whole match?

I was waiting for it to break down, but it didnt. And Nadal of course didnt have anywhere else to go.

Very consistent and solid BH

You know. Zebalos won by holding serve. The same tactic Lubicic used against him in IW few years back. Hold serve, take your chances in TB.

mightyrick 02-10-2013 06:45 PM

Yep, people need to give Zeballos some credit. I realize Nadal is rusty, but Zeballos played damned good. His serve was absolutely awesome. His backhand didn't break down. He was consistently aggressive and going for all of his shots.

To me, the Nadal's biggest problem was his own serve. He is not hitting the slice well. He isn't hitting the body serve well. Not nearly enough floating returns for putaway winners. I expect this will get better with each match, though.

OddJack 02-10-2013 06:56 PM

Toni says its his movement, which was visible sometimes, but he simply didnt have the fire power, serve and game both.

I actually think he will get worse the more he plays. Nadal is burnt and spent. We will see flashes of his past, but I think it's over for him.

mizzoutiger2013 02-10-2013 06:58 PM

Seems like everyone on here is saying how Nadal lost this match. Although he should have won give zeballos credit. He kept Nadal on defense for most of the third set.

blackfrido 02-10-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddJack (Post 7205712)
How many errors could you count from that wing the whole match?

I was waiting for it to break down, but it didnt. And Nadal of course didnt have anywhere else to go.

Very consistent and solid BH

You know. Zebalos won by holding serve. The same tactic Lubicic used against him in IW few years back. Hold serve, take your chances in TB.

what tactic is that? if you hold serve, and the have a break you win the set. If you do it again you win the match? Is it that a tactic?

OddJack 02-10-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfrido (Post 7205832)
what tactic is that? if you hold serve, and the have a break you win the set. If you do it again you win the match? Is it that a tactic?

The focus was on holding serve. Serve best you can, with variety, go for your shot on the second ball and avoid long rallies. Yes that's the strategy and he stuck with it the whole match. Zeballos had way more winners in the match.

BreakPoint 02-10-2013 07:51 PM

Just goes to show that if Federer played left-handed, Nadal would never beat him on any surface. :)

BreakPoint 02-10-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddJack (Post 7205846)
The focus was on holding serve. Serve best you can, with variety, go for your shot on the second ball and avoid long rallies. Yes that's the strategy and he stuck with it the whole match. Zeballos had way more winners in the match.

Yeah, but since when has Nadal ever had more winners than his opponent in any match, win or lose? His opponents always have more winners than Nadal does. Nadal wins by making fewer errors.

Doubles 02-10-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205891)
Just goes to show that if Federer played left-handed, Nadal would never beat him on any surface. :)

Because Federer and Zeballos are so similar...?

OddJack 02-10-2013 07:58 PM

Yeah, it's something to marvel about. A Lefty Federer.

I was wondering if Tony had one sleepless night about it, ...If I had him when he was 6...

OddJack 02-10-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205898)
Yeah, but since when has Nadal ever had more winners than his opponent in any match, win or lose? His opponents always have more winners than Nadal does. Nadal wins by making fewer errors.

Yes, but not fewer points too. Zeballos won way more points in the match as well.

BreakPoint 02-10-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7205899)
Because Federer and Zeballos are so similar...?

No, Federer is much better than Zeballos. So if even Zeballos could beat Nadal on red clay, then a left-handed Federer would double-bagel Nadal on all surfaces. :shock: As it is, even a right-handed Federer has beaten Nadal on all surfaces. So a left-handed Federer would be invincible against Nadal. :)

Doubles 02-10-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205912)
No, Federer is much better than Zeballos. So if even Zeballos could beat Nadal on red clay, then a left-handed Federer would double-bagel Nadal on all surfaces. :shock: As it is, even a right-handed Federer has beaten Nadal on all surfaces. So a left-handed Federer would be invincible against Nadal. :)

You do realize that's all completely hypothetical, right?

OddJack 02-10-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205912)

bageled, on all surfaces.

BevelDevil 02-10-2013 08:12 PM

Almost started a thread on Zeballos after seeing him play doubles in DC, launching backhand bombs. Damn...

He's got a good drive, slice, chip, drop shot and lob. Makes me wonder why he couldn't stay in the top 50. I really want to see this guy make it to top 20. Fun to watch.

OddJack 02-10-2013 08:18 PM

Absolutely fun to watch. What a great attitude, he was smiling and positive throughout the match.

BreakPoint 02-10-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7205930)
You do realize that's all completely hypothetical, right?

Nadal's only weapon against Federer is serving and hitting every forehand crosscourt to Federer's one-handed backhand. We saw today that when that one-handed backhand player plays left-handed, Nadal no longer has a strategy and no longer has a weapon that could hurt his opponent. And since Federer is a significantly better player than Zeballos (by like a million miles), it's not a stretch to say that Nadal would have nothing that could hurt a left-handed Federer enough to beat him.

OddJack 02-10-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205979)
Nadal's only weapon against Federer is serving and hitting every forehand crosscourt to Federer's one-handed backhand. We saw today that when that one-handed backhand player plays left-handed, Nadal no longer has a strategy and no longer has a weapon that could hurt his opponent. And since Federer is a significantly better player than Zeballos (by like a million miles), it's not a stretch to say that Nadal would have nothing that could hurt a left-handed Federer enough to beat him.

he had the same strategy, he played high balls to Zeb Bh, too many times. didnt work, lost

BreakPoint 02-10-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddJack (Post 7205982)
he had the same strategy, he played high balls to Zeb Bh, too many times. didnt work, lost

But Nadal's crosscourt backhand does not kick up nearly as high as his crosscourt forehand does. His hits his backhand much flatter than his forehand.

Doubles 02-10-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 7205979)

Lol, okay.