Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Which was a better performance? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454401)

Apun94 02-11-2013 12:57 AM

Which was a better performance?

Nole vs Ferrer SF AO'13
OR
Fed vs Roddick SF AO'07
Obv both were playing ridiculous tennis in these matches. Everything they hit somehow went in. The opponents were quality...
P.S. PLEASE try to be unbiased

Sid_Vicious 02-11-2013 01:09 AM

Well, lets compare.

Federer vs Roddick 2007 AO

Djokovic vs Ferrer 2013 AO

I swear, websites are regressing. What is the point of those stupid bars in the middle of the stats. Seriously, keep it clean.

falstaff78 02-11-2013 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid_Vicious (Post 7206150)
Well, lets compare.

Federer vs Roddick 2007 AO

Djokovic vs Ferrer 2013 AO

I swear, websites are regressing. What is the point of those stupid bars in the middle of the stats. Seriously, keep it clean.

I picked Fed over Roddick. The reason for this is Fed's superior aggressive margin.

Aggressive margin is a statistic which captures how aggressively a player played. It calculates the net number of points won by aggressive play. Formula = (Winners + Opponent's forced errors - Own unforced errors) / total points played. It is explained further in this thread and this document

1. In the Fed Roddick match, 51% of points in the match ended in a Fed winner or in Roddick making a FORCED error. 9% ended in Fed making an unforced error. Which gives Fed an aggressive margin of 51% - 9% = 42%. The comparable numbers for Novak were 42% - 13% = 29%.

2. Another way of looking at the stats is to ask what percent of each player's points were won through aggressive play as opposed to an opponent unforced error. Fed won 78% of his points through aggressive play, whereas Novak won 62%.

Magnetite 02-11-2013 03:29 AM

Definitely Fed over Roddick, although Djokovic was ridiculous as well.

Steve0904 02-11-2013 03:38 AM

Well considering Roddick on a HC is much better competition than Ferrer, I'm saying Fed over Roddick in all honesty.

joeri888 02-11-2013 04:26 AM

Both were ridiculous. But Fed for the insane impact on a in form Roddick's serve.

90's Clay 02-11-2013 04:33 AM

Nole's.

Ferrer is a much tougher opponent to completely blow off the court in Australia then Roddick was

tudwell 02-11-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7206287)
Nole's.

Ferrer is a much tougher opponent to completely blow off the court in Australia then Roddick was

Good God, you actually believe the weak era crap you spew everywhere? I thought that was just obvious trolling. Ferrer is not even in the same ballpark as Roddick - never has been and never will be. You are so biased it's physically painful to watch. You're gonna hurt yourself with those mental gymnastics.

Steve0904 02-11-2013 04:45 AM

The worst (or best) part of all this is that the Fed trolls will complain about him winning another poll convincingly while conveniently ignoring that Federer over Roddick is probably the correct choice anyway.

Carsomyr 02-11-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7206291)
Good God, you actually believe the weak era crap you spew everywhere? I thought that was just obvious trolling. Ferrer is not even in the same ballpark as Roddick - never has been and never will be. You are so biased it's physically painful to watch. You're gonna hurt yourself with those mental gymnastics.

He only says that because it's Fed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7198811)
...talentless MUG like Ferrer in the top 4...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7202249)
...Roddick was a solid player...

Steve0904 02-11-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carsomyr (Post 7206301)
He only says that because it's Fed.

No, not exactly. He changes what he wants to say based on the situation. If Roddick is used to bring down Sampras's era he will call Roddick a talentless hack.

Carsomyr 02-11-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve0904 (Post 7206310)
No, not exactly. He changes what he wants to say based on the situation. If Roddick is used to bring down Sampras's era he will call Roddick a talentless hack.

Honestly, it would just be safer to call everyone in this era a "talentless MUG", including Djokovic and Nadal, because there's the possibility that one or both will encroach upon Sampras' place in history.

borg11 02-11-2013 05:00 AM

really?

not in the same ballpark?

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/...=F401&oId=R485

really?

yeah, and the era was weak, andy roddick being a major proof for this theory. So, gs champion and multiple finalist (2002-2006) manages just one more gs final in remaining years on tour (2007-2012), or, as someone might add, in the strong era. Retires at the age of 30 (not 33) with no big injuries. I would say the era was weak.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7206291)

NatF 02-11-2013 05:00 AM

Federer's perfromance was better, more winners and less unforced errors. Roddick is a better player than Ferrer too, he actually went into the match with some belief. Ferrer looked like he was resigned to his fate from the beginning. Ferrer doesn't have a weapon like Roddicks serve to help him either.

Carsomyr 02-11-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borg11 (Post 7206323)

really?

yeah, and the era was weak, andy roddick being a major proof for this theory. So, gs champion and multiple finalist (2002-2006) manages just one more gs final in remaining years on tour (2007-2012), or, as someone might add, in the strong era. Retires at the age of 30 (not 33) with no big injuries. I would say the era was weak.

Ferrer's won just two sets in the five GS semis he's played, and has just one win over the Big 4 in GS play. Meanwhile, Roddick has beaten Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray at the majors, the latter two after they had achieved top 5 status.

Steve0904 02-11-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borg11 (Post 7206323)

really?

Yes, really, not in the same ballpark. Roddick's HC resume trumps Ferrer's by a good bit, and bringing up H2H is a poor way to compare that, but it seems to be the default for everyone around here when facts get in the way.

NatF 02-11-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve0904 (Post 7206359)
Yes, really, not in the same ballpark. Roddick's HC resume trumps Ferrer's by a good bit, and bringing up H2H is a poor way to compare that, but it seems to be the default for everyone around here when facts get in the way.

Yep apparently h2h negates the grand slam title, the multiple masters and the grand slam finals Roddick has over Ferrer.

dudeski 02-11-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7206287)
Nole's.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Nickzor 02-11-2013 06:06 AM

Easily Fed, alright ferrers a tough opponent no doubt, but roddick serving at a high percentage and still getting completely smoked! He may not be the greatest server of all time but undeniably year after year he'd always finish top 3 for service games held, and he served very well in that match, Ferrer always struggles to hold serve against the Big 4 and other top 10 players, yet roddick in his prime could hold serve quite comfortably against the top players, being that his serve is so much stronger then Ferrers, I think David is rather weak in terms of holding serve, he doesnt serve very fast and can't really get free points of serve like Roddick could

dudeski 02-11-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickzor (Post 7206423)
Easily Fed, alright ferrers a tough opponent no doubt, but roddick serving at a high percentage and still getting completely smoked! He may not be the greatest server of all time but undeniably year after year he'd always finish top 3 for service games held, and he served very well in that match, Ferrer always struggles to hold serve against the Big 4 and other top 10 players, yet roddick in his prime could hold serve quite comfortably against the top players, being that his serve is so much stronger then Ferrers, I think David is rather weak in terms of holding serve, he doesnt serve very fast and can't really get free points of serve like Roddick could

Plus Roddick said himself he was closing the gap :)