Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal: "I lack reaction speed, energy when returning, power in my legs.." (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454407)

Rocky89 02-11-2013 05:52 AM

Nadal: "I lack reaction speed, energy when returning, power in my legs.."

As per tweets from Nadal's presser:

Quote:

"I lack reaction speed, energy when returning, power in my legs so that the ball goes deeper"
https://twitter.com/genny_ss/status/300796790058414080
https://twitter.com/Rafael_Plaza/sta...95992519897089

I think he is right on all counts, his movement and stamina is definitely below par, but that's expected for his first tournament back. Interesting that he says he has no energy for ROS.

What I'm interested to know is, do you guys think he will be able to improve these things throughout the next few tournaments to be a serious contender for slams?

Goosehead 02-11-2013 05:55 AM

obviously he is going to improve..what did you expect..:confused:

he hasnt played since last june. :confused::confused:..the vamos will grow louder.

kalyan4fedever 02-11-2013 05:58 AM

So is the knee only gonna get worse by playing or its gonna get better what he is implying?

zam88 02-11-2013 05:59 AM

when he came back in '09 he got waxed by premium competition at the USO, had one of the worst WTF's ever, and then struggled at the '10 AO before finally rounding into form several months later to go on an epic clay run.

I imagine this will be similar.. there's going to be some rough losses before he's back in shape.

he's got 3 months to iron it out before Roland Garros.. is it possible? You know it. Likely? it's going to be one of Rafa's biggest GS wins ever if he can come back after that type of layoff and win a GS even if it is on his favorite surface that he's the GOAT on.

mariecon 02-11-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7206319)
So is the knee only gonna get worse by playing or its gonna get better what he is implying?

he'll get by with a little help from his friends

mariecon 02-11-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zam88 (Post 7206322)
when he came back in '09 he got waxed by premium competition at the USO, had one of the worst WTF's ever, and then struggled at the '10 AO before finally rounding into form several months later to go on an epic clay run.

I imagine this will be similar.. there's going to be some rough losses before he's back in shape.

he's got 3 months to iron it out before Roland Garros.. is it possible? You know it. Likely? it's going to be one of Rafa's biggest GS wins ever if he can come back after that type of layoff and win a GS even if it is on his favorite surface that he's the GOAT on.

and of course if he loses, asterisks will abound.

Goosehead 02-11-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalyan4fedever (Post 7206319)

its going to get better..his doc/medical team said the initial pain will go away after a whole bunch of matches as the knee gets stronger and used to the tennis.

Rocky89 02-11-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zam88 (Post 7206322)

He was a lot younger then though, it's going to be a lot tougher this time around. Especially since it's his longest layoff, he will improve, but he may also never regain is former agility and movement.

Alchemy-Z 02-11-2013 06:23 AM

Win or Lose...it's good to see him back on tour I am sure he will Improve over the next few tournaments.

For 7 months off...I'd call making a final in both doubles and singles a very good start

Steve0904 02-11-2013 06:25 AM

It's tough to say. Tbh, nobody knows, but I can imagine it's tough to regain the type of stuff Nadal is talking about ever again. He'll get better obviously, but I'm not sure he'll be 100% what he once was, and that could be bad, but we'll have to wait and see.

dudeski 02-11-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7206315)
obviously he is going to improve..what did you expect..:confused:

he hasnt played since last june. :confused::confused:..the vamos will grow louder.

Yep and the MTOs will grow longer.

Fiji 02-11-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky89 (Post 7206305)
As per tweets from Nadal's presser:

https://twitter.com/genny_ss/status/300796790058414080
https://twitter.com/Rafael_Plaza/sta...95992519897089

I think he is right on all counts, his movement and stamina is definitely below par, but that's expected for his first tournament back. Interesting that he says he has no energy for ROS.

What I'm interested to know is, do you guys think he will be able to improve these things throughout the next few tournaments to be a serious contender for slams?

Wilander and Agassi stated that Nadal will not be back to his previous level until next year(2014). That's how long it takes players to get back their rythm. Since he was out for 8 months, he will need 16 months(twice the time he was out) to be a real slam challenger(circa RG 2014). Add to that nobody won slams for 9 years in a row in the open era(men) and it is pretty obvious Nadal will NOT win a slam in 2013. Federer, Borg and Sampras couldn't do it. Nadal won't either. Will Nadal be back after a slamless year? Federer didn't quit despite 2011 was a slamless year. Sampras didn't quit despite 2001 was a titleless year. 2013 could be a titleless year for Nadal like 2001 was for Sampras.

Start da Game 02-11-2013 07:16 AM

agassi was 1/2 the player nadal is and wilander is 1/4th.......just bitterness and nothing else in those comments........

cknobman 02-11-2013 07:26 AM

Nadal did suffer in his return game more than anything. He just did not have the same explosiveness on return he has had in the past.

During the match they showed a bit of when Rafa was 15 and winning his first few titles. I was amazed at the size difference in his arms between then and now.

Rafa literally used to look like a body builder and was much larger and more defined when he was 15 versus now.

zam88 02-11-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariecon (Post 7206331)
and of course if he loses, asterisks will abound.

yeah that's the thing..... if he's not 100% there's an asterik

it's ridiculous.

Unfortunately one of the skill sets of a tennis player is: "stay healthy" and that's one thing Roger is definitely GOATing on compared to Rafa without question.

I think it's paid dividends for Roger for sure as well. Roger may have a mode where he could go "harder" but he knows that if he plays that way he leaves himself susceptible to injury.... and there is a lot of success to be had just be being there.

TheF1Bob 02-11-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 7206366)
Yep and the MTOs will grow longer.

Rafa getting warned last night was a sight to see. :)

spperry 02-11-2013 10:43 AM

I think he looked very rusty.

He will know the things he needs to do better and with more matches that will happen.

It is a big ask to win RG but hopefully he is in much better form by then and can give himself a chance.

He will only be 27 this year and if he can get back to full fitness he has plenty of time to win more.

Roddick85 02-11-2013 11:09 AM

I think it's only natural for Rafa to be a bit rusty. If we as recreational players lose our timing after a few weeks/months off the court, playing only against amateur, it must be even worst at the pro level, where everyone is top shape. However, I wouldn't be so quick to write Rafa off for the french open, he still has 3+ months before the tournament. I would wait to see how he plays in Monte-Carlo. That will have given him a bit more time on court.

TennezSport 02-11-2013 11:36 AM

Bigger concern.........

Of course Rafa is rusty, no one can stay away from the game that long and then play at that old level; timing and reaction are off. However the bigger concern is that he is saying that the knee is still hurting. If you know anything about ligaments and joints they do not get better with play.

A surgeon from the area here told me that pain in a ligament or joint is telling you that something is not right. It's not like muscle pain from fatigue.
His only recourse may be an operation, which he does not want to do because he will lose speed; no doubt. He could come back to form but it will be how well he can manage the pain. Can only wait and see at this point.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Tennis_Hands 02-11-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennezSport (Post 7206997)
Of course Rafa is rusty, no one can stay away from the game that long and then play at that old level; timing and reaction are off. However the bigger concern is that he is saying that the knee is still hurting. If you know anything about ligaments and joints they do not get better with play.

A surgeon from the area here told me that pain in a ligament or joint is telling you that something is not right. It's not like muscle pain from fatigue.
His only recourse may be an operation, which he does not want to do because he will lose speed; no doubt. He could come back to form but it will be how well he can manage the pain. Can only wait and see at this point.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Exactly.

Of course, lately we are hearing from camp Nadal (and the Vamos Brigade promptly agrees), that the things will get better and pain will disappear with play.

I wonder what they mean.