Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wilson Steam 99S - Anyone else having this issue? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454408)

JackB1 02-11-2013 05:38 AM

Wilson Steam 99S - Anyone else having this issue?

please read my post here in my review thread:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...2&postcount=27

I am curious if I am alone in this issue I am having with the control of the 99S? It's seems like it's either "feast or famine" for me with this stick and I don't know if it's me or the stringbed? I haven't had any of the string breakage issues some are having and I am not sure if this problem is due to the full poly job losing tension after a few hours or not? Maybe I should measure the tension with my iphone app and see how much it dropped since I got it 1 week ago?

jjs891 02-11-2013 05:43 AM

I would think its the string losing elasticity sooner than in other racquets.

Definitely change strings before giving up on the frame. From what I read, it needs fresh string job very often.

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 06:02 AM

Not trying to be a broken record....but lube the strings (hand lotion) and try again....if the control you want comes back, its because the strings are able to more back to neutral.

If it solves your problem, there are 2 choices. Restring every 2-3 hours or hand lotion. I took the hand lotion approach. It seriously seriously works. Plus, if you pick, as I did, my daughters "Night Time Sleepy Lavender Lotion" youll smell nice. Plus, youll have the smoothest, most well conditioned left hand in tennis. (I apply the lotion using my left hand as I am a righty.....)

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 06:05 AM

After trying out various tensions, it is my opinion that higher is needed in this frame. Lower tension (35 lb) was for me, unplayable. The strings would not move back to neutral even after the first hit.

Dgdavid 02-11-2013 06:20 AM

You smooth hand cream on both sides and rub it in? Does that affect grip on the ball?

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgdavid (Post 7206450)
You smooth hand cream on both sides and rub it in? Does that affect grip on the ball?

Yes, just a very light bit (small squirt on fingertip) goes a long way. I apply it maybe every other changeover or so as it only takes maybe 5-10 seconds.

It will make the strings play literally like new. I dont know how it affects the friction between ball and strings (suspect it is miniscule)...but it most definitely increases the force applied to the ball when the strings move back to neutral.

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 06:30 AM

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ht=hand+lotion

Rabbit 02-11-2013 06:59 AM

I don't find any problems with control.

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjs891 (Post 7206380)
I would think its the string losing elasticity sooner than in other racquets.

Definitely change strings before giving up on the frame. From what I read, it needs fresh string job very often.

I am not going to restring weekly. I have been getting by (easily) with monthly with my poly/syngut combo in other open pattern racquets.

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford T Justice (Post 7206411)
Not trying to be a broken record....but lube the strings (hand lotion) and try again....if the control you want comes back, its because the strings are able to more back to neutral.

If it solves your problem, there are 2 choices. Restring every 2-3 hours or hand lotion. I took the hand lotion approach. It seriously seriously works. Plus, if you pick, as I did, my daughters "Night Time Sleepy Lavender Lotion" youll smell nice. Plus, youll have the smoothest, most well conditioned left hand in tennis. (I apply the lotion using my left hand as I am a righty.....)

This sounds a little wacky to me. Apply hand lotion to your strings?
Has anyone else heard of this????

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7206528)
I don't find any problems with control.

Rabbit.....what level are you and how long have you used one stringbed for?
You didn't see any major ups and downs in your play? Do you swing long and hard all the time?

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford T Justice (Post 7206417)
After trying out various tensions, it is my opinion that higher is needed in this frame. Lower tension (35 lb) was for me, unplayable. The strings would not move back to neutral even after the first hit.

I dont think this is my issue. The strings are staying centered pretty much and appear to be snapping back. I think it's more of a tension loss/power issue.

Rabbit 02-11-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7206561)
Rabbit.....what level are you and how long have you used one stringbed for?
You didn't see any major ups and downs in your play? Do you swing long and hard all the time?

I'm a 4.5. Right now, I've got 9 sets on a set of Wilson Spin Cycle 16L. Your last question is kind of hard to answer. In the 4.5 and below range, I guess I hit as hard as anyone. I played yesterday with a couple of 5.0s and a fellow 4.5, and the 5.0s hit much harder than I do. BTW, the Spin Cycle is about to go I suspect so it's at the end of its life for me. Yesterday though I really didn't see any drop in power or control from when it was new. I served lights out up until the last ball. And groundies were spot on.

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 7206556)
This sounds a little wacky to me. Apply hand lotion to your strings?
Has anyone else heard of this????

Its been discussed off and on a few times on TT. I posted a link above to one of the chats.

Its also been evaluated by ITF and determined to be valid and legal.

racertempo 02-11-2013 07:23 AM

NO control problems for me on the 99s or my 105s so far. Played 3 sets yesterday and it is just about the same control as the Yonex frames I have played in the past few years. I am playing with a 17g MSV at 52# in the 99s and 54# in the 105s. However, i don't often take big long swings at the ball, I am glued as much as possible in doubles to 1-2' from the net, so yesterday I hit a small amount of strokes from back for 3 sets. I love the volley control on both frames right now.

I am actually finding more control right now in the 105s actually.....but I that will remain to be seen when string gets a little older in both frames.

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 07:33 AM

Cool video here that shows some of the early research.....around 4:40 mark is where the lubrication idea is shown is super slo mo (on nylon strings).

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...tennis/308339/

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7206567)
I'm a 4.5. Right now, I've got 9 sets on a set of Wilson Spin Cycle 16L. Your last question is kind of hard to answer. In the 4.5 and below range, I guess I hit as hard as anyone. I played yesterday with a couple of 5.0s and a fellow 4.5, and the 5.0s hit much harder than I do. BTW, the Spin Cycle is about to go I suspect so it's at the end of its life for me. Yesterday though I really didn't see any drop in power or control from when it was new. I served lights out up until the last ball. And groundies were spot on.

thanks.

maybe the 99s requires a better player than I thought? It seemed intended for the rec level (3.5) but may require consistent form and footwork to kee p the ball inside the lines?

JackB1 02-11-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buford T Justice (Post 7206574)
Its been discussed off and on a few times on TT. I posted a link above to one of the chats.

Its also been evaluated by ITF and determined to be valid and legal.

like I said....my strings are not all out of alignment much at all, so I think they are still snapping back.

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 08:09 AM

Jack-

Are your strings notched?

Buford T Justice 02-11-2013 08:13 AM

The above photo is Gosen Polylon 16 after 12 sets, using hand lotion.

The below photo is Snakebite 17 after 3 sets without hand lotion. Not an apples to apples test of course, but the string wear is definitely alot less per set played in the upper photo.