Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Serious business tennis players equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454427)

THESEXPISTOL 02-11-2013 08:51 AM

Serious business tennis players equipment

This thread is only for those who take tennis equipment in a serious way and stick with something once it works no matter how old, cheap or ridiculous it is.
This is not for those who are continuously tinkering with string and racquets.
It's for those who play competitive tennis and have been using the same racquet line for years and the same strings, changing only the tension. If you are one of those who evolve in the court and not tinkering with the your gear this is where you post your approved stuff.

I'll start myself.

Racquet: POG Mid
I've been using Prince Graphite mids since early 2010. Started with Prince TT Graphite Mids but run out of sticks and got a good deal on POG mids.

Strings: 1.40mm Nylon
Provide a firm and comfortable feel in my open pattern POG. If i need to go up some lbs on the tension it won't hurt me. Provide good power and feel and last a reasonable amount of time, and when it's time no restrung it doesn't hurt my wallet. Got 3 reels for 45€ shipped.

Overgrip: Tourna Original for HC and any tacky overgrip for clay
Tournas are great for HC when it's hot, in clay they're crap because they grab clay and become more rough than usual and give me chills.
The original Prince Calfskin Leather grip works just fine for me.

Dampening: Power-pads
Found out that, with nylon, power-pads would take off that awful "pling" sound without dampening everything like the regular dampeners.

Clothing & Shoes: I'm not very picky in this area, i have narrow feet and i fit comfortably in every shoes. I have Adidas, Nike, Babolat, Rebook. I just pick the ones that go better with the outfit.
As for as clothing goes, my club provides clothing and i love them. Plain and simple, design looks close to these ST shirt:
http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-c...1/Andreev-.jpg

That's it. Post your go to gear and remember, STICK WITH WHAT WORKS! ;)

Doubles 02-11-2013 08:59 AM

I've been using the Prestige Pro, both YouTek and IG for half a year now, and I intend on playing with them until they break. The only tinkering I've done with weight is just matching the weight and balance of two of them to my third, and favorite.

For strings I hit with 16l gauge poly in the 40's, unless I want to splurge a bit and then I string gut/poly.

For clothes I'll wear whatever, although I get shirts and shorts for playing club tennis. For shoes I prefer the barricade line.

darklore009 02-11-2013 09:02 AM

Racket: K90
Been using it since it's released, tried the newer ones, but doesnt compare it to the k90. though i kept the ps 6.1 90 blx with modded specs SW 356

String: Isospeed Baseline Spin/Gosen OG Micro White
The best overall, yet dirt cheap setup.balanced string for my gameplay

Overgrip: Solinco Wonder Grip
Tacky grip, yet i can still continue to use it even if it's all brownish color.

Dampening: Wilson Shock trap & Powerpads
For some reason, i cant play tennis without the wilson shock trap. without it, can't keep my balls in. used a black color powerpads to make it more special

Apparel: Nike Federer Polos and vapors tours
love the feel of wearing the federer polos. makes my oppenent jealous. the vapor for intense speed, yet, i still manage to keep my vapors from grinding around the courts

Drew_a_blank 02-11-2013 09:11 AM

Racquet: Babolat Pure Drive Team (woofer) I've been using these since 2005.

Strings: Dunlop Black Widow between 57-60lbs. I used to use a hybrid setup with Pro Hurricane and prince syngut, but it started to break too fast.

Overgrip: Wilson Pro White

Shoes: Babolat ProPulse3's. Waiting for pair #8 to come in. I really hope the 4's fit and are more durable when they are released!

THESEXPISTOL 02-11-2013 06:16 PM

Just as i thought, people that stick with something that works don't generally visit this section of the forum...

Say Chi Sin Lo 02-11-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7207960)
Just as i thought, people that stick with something that works don't generally visit this section of the forum...

No, it's because those people actually know what a proper racquet that fits the individual can do. So when they tell the other idiots to look beyond "the latest and greatest" technology, they get thrown out.

Racquet = Wilson Six.One BLX Tour 90
Tried the new Pro Staff BLX 90 for kicks and giggles. Not enough of a difference to warrant a change.

Strings = Natural gut 16/MSV Co-Focus 1.18

Grip = Wilson Pro Overgrip over leather.
If they stop making the Pro Overgrip, I'm going to throw a fit.

Dampening = Hates it.

Bag = Don't really care as long as it's not stupidly designed.

Apparel = Usually wears Nike stuff and Vapors, but have been known to rock Under Armor compression shirts, and their Coldgear stuff long sleeve stuff when it's cold at night. Double socked since 20oz. stopped being $0.99.

Power Player 02-11-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7207960)

Damn, someone has a case of the high and mighties...

THESEXPISTOL 02-11-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo (Post 7208002)
Double socked since 20oz. stopped being $0.99.

Yeah, forgot to mention i use two pairs of socks when i play on HC.

slowfox 02-11-2013 07:58 PM

I'm getting closer to that point where I can stop tinkering with equipment and just PLAY. For strings it's nat gut mains with syn gut crosses; overgrip is Supergrap; racquet is .... almost there. I'll be set soon. And oh, shoes are Asics.

Timbo's hopeless slice 02-11-2013 08:06 PM

see sig from frames.

unlikely to switch, now. gone down in tension over recent years, settled at 53.

umm, strings, was BB for ages, now the Volkl (bit softer, half the price)

clothes : adidas

shoes, barricades

but i'm not pretentious about it, this si just stuff that works (the racquet/string) and stuff that i know the size in (adidas)

i don't like the premise much, really.

'the high and mightys' indeed

robbo1970 02-12-2013 03:25 AM

Dunlop Bio 300
Always preferred Dunlop rackets for years, starting with Maxplys then a mid Alu Powerflex in the late 80's then to the Bio 300

Using the stock silk multi 16. Feels good to me, I know it doesnt seem very popular here but I like it.

Leather Gamma grip plus Supergrap (nothing seems better)

Stock Dunlop Bio dampener.

luishcorreia 02-12-2013 04:45 AM

Using vantage custom made frames for 5 years now. 100sqin, 310g, 6 pts HL. Added 8g of lead in the handle.

Tourna blue overgrip. Tourna Sampras O vibration dampeners. Shoes are asics gel res 3.

GS 02-12-2013 06:33 AM

For the last 5 years, I've settled with the POG Longbody, cut down to 27.5". The head on the POG Mid was too small for me, and the Oversized was too big. The Longbody was just right with its 100" sq in head, and some lead at 3 and 9 o'clock. So I bought alot of these sticks, and grommets, before they become ultra-rare.
After trying lots of soft multi's, I've stayed with Mantis Comfort and Rip Control.
Finally, no more demo-ing racquets, different strings, and wasting money.

rafafan20 02-12-2013 01:09 PM

This is kind of snobbish but I'll bite,

Racquet: Tecnifibre T-fight 320 Vo2 Max (1 with samurai PJ, 1 with 2011 PJ) -- had for a long time now

String: Solinco Outlast 17 (the best string ever made), with some Head RIP Control 16 and Red Code 17 thrown in

Shoes: Asics Gel Solution Speed for matches, Courtbalilstec for hitting

Grip: Wilson Sublime (black)

Overgrip: Yonex Supergrap (indoor) Tournagrip (outdoor)

Damp: Always the RG Babolat damp, simply the best

I might be trying the Dunlop M 2.0 though

dflores 02-12-2013 02:14 PM

This thread is only for those who take tennis equipment in a serious way and stick with something once it works no matter how old, cheap or ridiculous it is.
It's for those who play competitive tennis and have been using the same racquet line for years and the same strings, changing only the tension. If you are one of those who evolve in the court and not tinkering with the your gear this is where you post your approved stuff.

Racquet: Wilson Jack Kramer ProStaff. That's right, wood.
Strings: Wilson Gut
Shoes: Converse All Stars. Black canvas
Shorts: White cotton, 3" length
Shirt: Lacoste white cotton
Socks: White cotton
Headband: White cotton

No over grip, or dampener. Real old school.

I guess this makes me real serious.

THESEXPISTOL 02-12-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dflores (Post 7209977)

Racquet: Wilson Jack Kramer ProStaff. That's right, wood.
Strings: Wilson Gut
Shoes: Converse All Stars. Black canvas
Shorts: White cotton, 3" length
Shirt: Lacoste white cotton
Socks: White cotton
Headband: White cotton

No over grip, or dampener. Real old school.

I guess this makes me real serious.

TROLL ALERT!

Lilguy1456 02-12-2013 03:42 PM

Translation: This thread is for people who judge people for trying to find their ideal setup.

The Meat 02-12-2013 03:47 PM

Racquet: Prokennex 90's
Strings: Always Poly/poly hybrid, never stay with one string because where's the fun in that? :)
Overgrip: Gamma Supreme, down to the last 4 grips need to move to supergrap next....
Dampening: Only real tennis players play with naked racquets
Shoes: Any Nike shoe or Barricades

Humble_Warrior 02-12-2013 04:21 PM

Racquet: EXO3 Red (2009)
Strings: Premiere 18 at 58lbs
Grip: Standard grip
Shoes: Barricade II or V

db10s 02-12-2013 04:21 PM

My string setup is one of 2 things unless I'm playtesting... I'm tinkering with weed whacker string, but that is a totally different story.

Racket: Dunlop Biomimetic Max 200G with "some" lead in the handle...

Strings: Dunlop Black Widow 17 @ 33.5 lbs OR Dunlop ICE 17 at 49ish lbs... Right now I'm using Black Widow.

Overgrip: Tournagrip

Who uses a dampener? Not me.

Shoes: B7

Bag: Dunlop 10 pk green

Apparel: Nike socks, Nike compression shorts, right now I'm hooked on the solid color Dri-Fit cotton shirts.