Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New Balance MC 996 2E (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454440)

hyperion99 02-11-2013 11:09 AM

New Balance MC 996 2E

Looking to get the New Balance MC 996 2E(I have a 2E feet)shoes.
Does anybody have any opinions about this shoe?

Are they comfortable?
Do they last a while?
Do they have good traction?
Are they good for both hard&clay?
Do they have good arch support?
Is there any other NB shoe that you think is better?

Thanks in advance.

jdawg02 02-12-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7207057)
Looking to get the New Balance MC 996 2E(I have a 2E feet)shoes.
Does anybody have any opinions about this shoe?

Are they comfortable?
Do they last a while?
Do they have good traction?
Are they good for both hard&clay?
Do they have good arch support?
Is there any other NB shoe that you think is better?

Thanks in advance.

I recently had the regular width version of the shoe and my first impressions were great when I first slipped them on. Unfortunately all my hope and dreams went away after only using them for a week.

Pros

Low to the ground
Light
Decent traction
Decent Stability

Cons
Lack of forefoot cushioning
The outsole starting showing a sign of a hole within a week of play.
No arch support.

New Balance is not a durable shoe. I would look elsewhere like Prince T22 or a K-Swiss shoe if you need something for wide feet.

hyperion99 02-12-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdawg02 (Post 7208742)
I recently had the regular width version of the shoe and my first impressions were great when I first slipped them on. Unfortunately all my hope and dreams went away after only using them for a week.

Pros

Low to the ground
Light
Decent traction
Decent Stability

Cons
No arch support.

New Balance is not a durable shoe. I would look elsewhere like Prince T22 or a K-Swiss shoe if you need something for wide feet.

Thanks for the feedback.
K-swiss doesn't work for me(still to narrow and hurting my feet).
I believe I tried a prince shoe a few months ago(not sure if it was T22) and I did not like the ankle support.

I wear my own insoles so I can adjust to the cushioning (unless it's hard as a rock).

Have you tried any other NB shoe that's comfortable and has better durability?

jdawg02 02-12-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7210361)
Thanks for the feedback.
K-swiss doesn't work for me(still to narrow and hurting my feet).
I believe I tried a prince shoe a few months ago(not sure if it was T22) and I did not like the ankle support.

I wear my own insoles so I can adjust to the cushioning (unless it's hard as a rock).

Have you tried any other NB shoe that's comfortable and has better durability?

Unfortunately I have only tried the 851's and the fell apart after a week also. I cannot vouch for New Balances quality in the tennis department because I have had horrible experiences.

ericsson 02-12-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdawg02 (Post 7208742)

Pros

Low to the ground
Light
Decent traction
Decent Stability

Cons
No arch support.

Actually, some of your cons are pros for me.
Lack of forefoot cushioning is good for me, i dont want a very cushioned shoe that feels mushy.
No arch support, good cos i dont like arch support.
I wish there were zero drop tennis shoes, oh well i think it's just a matter of time...

What i want to say is, i read some good reviews about the shoes too, like with everything there will be good and bad reviews, that dont mean it's a bad product, it's just based on one's personal experience.

What i'm interested in is just how wide is the 2E ?

mrmike 02-13-2013 02:49 AM

I recently got a pair of 996 2E's and they feel true to size for me. I tried to stray away from NB and used K-Swiss for a while. One pair was great, 2nd pair were way too tight in the forefoot width wise. I also recently tried GR4s and they were also too tight. Personally I don't like the shoes that are built up high off the ground. So far the 996 has seemed cushioned enough for me but you need to try them on to make sure.

hyperion99 02-13-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 7210905)
I recently got a pair of 996 2E's and they feel true to size for me. I tried to stray away from NB and used K-Swiss for a while. One pair was great, 2nd pair were way too tight in the forefoot width wise. I also recently tried GR4s and they were also too tight. Personally I don't like the shoes that are built up high off the ground. So far the 996 has seemed cushioned enough for me but you need to try them on to make sure.

Thanks Mike.

ericsson 02-14-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 7210905)

Thanks Mike, what are your thoughts on the forefoot width?
would you say they are just wider then standard or do they feel very wide?

My Nike Vapor 9's are reviewed as slightly wider in the forefoot but to me it is still too narrow, i like them wider so i try to walk away from Nike...