Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Volkl C10 Pro's flex (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454455)

DonDiego 02-11-2013 01:15 PM

Volkl C10 Pro's flex

I just ordered a used C10 Pro raquet from TW (2010, all Yellow).

I'm a six one 95 user, but find the racquet a bit too stiff for my arm, particularly when volleying a lot. So I bought the C10 Pro based on many reviewers praising its comfort.

The problem is the flex rating goes from 59, 63 and even 65 depending on which site you look at. (65 is from TW lab.)

My 6.1 95 is listed as 66-68 (again, according to different sources), so I'm wondering what to expect from the C10 Pro when I get it. And yeah, I know, I should wait to get it and see for myself... but I've heard some much praise for the flex and comfort of this racquet, and I can't imagine that a 3-4 flex rating difference can make such a difference.

Anyone who tried both racquets (or just the C10 Pro) car to weigh in? Thanks.

matchmaker 02-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7207337)
I just ordered a used C10 Pro raquet from TW (2010, all Yellow).

I'm a six one 95 user, but find the racquet a bit too stiff for my arm, particularly when volleying a lot. So I bought the C10 Pro based on many reviewers praising its comfort.

The problem is the flex rating goes from 59, 63 and even 65 depending on which site you look at. (65 is from TW lab.)

My 6.1 95 is listed as 66-68 (again, according to different sources), so I'm wondering what to expect from the C10 Pro when I get it. And yeah, I know, I should wait to get it and see for myself... but I've heard some much praise for the flex and comfort of this racquet, and I can't imagine that a 3-4 flex rating difference can make such a difference.

Anyone who tried both racquets (or just the C10 Pro) car to weigh in? Thanks.

This is in the wrong forum, but don't worry, the C10 Pro is a very comfy and flexy racquet. I believe it's official flex is 63, the 65 is probably unstrung. But it really plays much more flexy than 63. The flex rating just says how much a racquet flexes in absolute terms. It does not say where. That's why I do not believe in using RA as absolute flex markers. They do give a pretty good indication in order to know whether a racquet will be rather stiff or rather flexy, but the perceived flex can be easily 3 or 4 points lower or higher than the actual RA rating flex.

I find this to hold true especially in the category between 60 and 65. I have played with 61 RA racquets that feel rather stiff and 63 RA racquets that feel very flexible. C10 pro is one of the latter.

TennisMD 02-11-2013 01:31 PM

The C 10 is definitely more flexy. I believe the 63 to 65 is strung VS unstrung for c 10

DonDiego 02-11-2013 01:46 PM

It is indeed in the wrong forum, sorry about that.
Thanks for answering!

DonDiego 02-11-2013 02:24 PM

I'm also surprised TW was only selling it 39$. It is a grade C racquet, and grade C with TW are usually in more than decent condition. At that price I jumped on the offer.

Lilguy1456 02-11-2013 02:35 PM

the C10 will play MUCH close to 58 than 68, IMO.

VeryVolkl 02-11-2013 03:37 PM

Hey Matchmaker, thanks for that great explanation regarding flex. I've been confounded by the dissimilar flexiness of racquets with similar flex ratings, but now it makes sense.

mrmike 02-11-2013 04:00 PM

The 2010 C10 is the frame I'm using currently and it is quite comfortable. It has great stability and heft without feeling unwieldy. Coming from an 18x20 Prestige I had to come up with an arm friendly string setup that deadened the power a little bit. Found RIP control 17 to work out well for me.

DonDiego 02-11-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 7207646)
The 2010 C10 is the frame I'm using currently and it is quite comfortable. It has great stability and heft without feeling unwieldy. Coming from an 18x20 Prestige I had to come up with an arm friendly string setup that deadened the power a little bit. Found RIP control 17 to work out well for me.

I plan to hybrid mine with Rip control 17 in the mains and NXT in the crosses, at 57 lbs each. Hopefully it will work out well. Otherwise I'll put RPM Blast 18 (which I love except for the fact that it's too stiff for my arm), since I believe this racquet (and my arm) can take it thanks to the inherent flex and comfort of the racquet.

eleventeenth street 02-11-2013 04:28 PM

i'm fairly certain flex is measured at the throat and only at the throat. and the c10 pro is said to have a very flexy hoop, which is probably why it plays softer than the 63 ra measurement

fuzz nation 02-12-2013 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleventeenth street (Post 7207698)
i'm fairly certain flex is measured at the throat and only at the throat. and the c10 pro is said to have a very flexy hoop, which is probably why it plays softer than the 63 ra measurement

Pretty sure that this is the reason that the C10 seems to produce a softer ride than its actual numbers.

I've used these Volkls for several years along with a couple other frames along the way, including the Yonex RD Ti-80. The Yonex has a lower flex rating (maybe 60) along with some extra heft, but that racquet plays more harsh for me compared with my C10's, even when both are set up with the same syn. gut and tensioned at a couple lbs. above their mid-range.

When the hoop has some give to it, that seems to reduce a lot of that shock that typically happens when I catch the ball further up the string bed (toward the top of the hoop). That hoop flex gives the C10 a bit of a unique personality, but nothing I'd classify as a character flaw. They're just a little "tip dead". Some racquets, including a couple of Yonex frames I've used, can produce a crisp, firm feel along with soft frame performance when much of their flex is in the throat.

Contrasting my C10's against my old 6.1 Classics, the Volkls gave me an instant boost in confidence around the baseline because their general response at contact was a bit more mellow and consistent. They gave me much more of a license to use a natural full swing without spraying the ball. I also hit a one-handed backhand and slice more than occasionally. Even with a snug set of syn. gut, my C10's simply do not hurt my arm.

My 6.1 Classics were fantastic performers in a serve & volley role, but I've adjusted over time so that I can also take my C10's to the net with a lot of confidence - and probably get better touch and feel with them, too. Those old ProStaffs with their stiffness, extra head-light balance, and 12.8 oz. heft were simply built to volley and serve with a lot of authority. While the C10's don't seem to have any superlatives for me aside from their comfort, they also have no significant weaknesses for me.

You may find that it takes more than one stringing to get your C10 feeling right for you - this isn't rare. This racquet can also be tuned rather easily with a little lead tape. I've tried a touch of 3/9 o'clock lead on my hoops in the past, but now I only add some lead to the handles of my Volkls to give them the 9 or 10 points HL balance that I prefer. Power, spin potential, feel, control, etc. all seem to be there as long as I swing them right. It took a while to get to know this racquet, but it's absolutely been worth it for me.

Just in case the C10 feels a little too foreign or uncooperative for you after a while, you might want to get a try with their Organix 10. Apparently that one also has some Volkl softness, but some players relate well to its firmer feel.

DonDiego 02-12-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmike (Post 7207646)
Just in case the C10 feels a little too foreign or uncooperative for you after a while, you might want to get a try with their Organix 10. Apparently that one also has some Volkl softness, but some players relate well to its firmer feel.

Good point, thanks. Indeed the Organix 10 might be an easier transition from my six one 95. The only thing I'm worried about is the (relatively) low swingweight. I'll try first the C10, probably tomorrow, and share my thoughts.

SteveI 02-12-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7207407)
It is indeed in the wrong forum, sorry about that.
Thanks for answering!

Why is this the wrong forum??? We are in the rackets section are we not?

corners 02-12-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveI (Post 7209071)
Why is this the wrong forum??? We are in the rackets section are we not?

It was originally in the Pro Racquets section.

corners 02-12-2013 09:03 AM

Here's a comparison of the C10 Pro and Organix 10 MP made by Flex Infinity, a company that sells special machinery for measuring racquet flex at many locations on the frame:

Flex Infinity's website: http://www.flexinfinity.com/machine
Somebody please buy a machine from him and post lots more of this kind of info. :)

DonDiego 02-12-2013 09:25 AM

Wow! Thanks Corners. I was more looking at the 325 model, but it must be close to those numbers. As a matter of fact, I realize there are many models from Volkl that could work (PB10, Organix mid or midplus, C10 pro...)

Which one do you guys think is the closest to the BLX six one 95 (16x18) in all other aspects (other than flex)?

DonDiego 02-12-2013 09:39 AM

I should add that I'm a 4.5 player who likes to rip the one-hand backhand, as well as serve and volley. I love the 6.1, but need more comfort for my arm.

corners 02-12-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7209197)
I should add that I'm a 4.5 player who likes to rip the one-hand backhand, as well as serve and volley. I love the 6.1, but need more comfort for my arm.

I think the X10 325 would be most similar to your 6.1 95s. But the swingweight is much lower. I would slap 4 grams of lead at 12 o'clock and another 5-10 grams at the bottom of the handle to get a pretty decent match to the specs you have now. That extra weight should make the X10 play even softer.

corners 02-12-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonDiego (Post 7209168)
Wow! Thanks Corners. I was more looking at the 325 model, but it must be close to those numbers. As a matter of fact, I realize there are many models from Volkl that could work (PB10, Organix mid or midplus, C10 pro...)

Which one do you guys think is the closest to the BLX six one 95 (16x18) in all other aspects (other than flex)?

yeah, I doubt the two X10 MP versions are that different in these static flex tests. Maybe a little, but the two versions really only differ, on paper, in that the 325 has a bunch of extra mass added to the handle.

DonDiego 02-12-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corners (Post 7209252)
yeah, I doubt the two X10 MP versions are that different in these static flex tests. Maybe a little, but the two versions really only differ, on paper, in that the 325 has a bunch of extra mass added to the handle.

Yes, it's gonna be between the C10 pro and the X10 325 I believe. The flex will determine the winner for me. I find the C10 pro a bit too flexy, I'll go with the X10 325.