Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Energy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454557)

Wilsonbro11 02-12-2013 11:14 AM

Energy
 
Should I take a 5 hour energy for my tournament if I play before 2?

BMC9670 02-12-2013 12:11 PM

The ingredients of the 5-hour Energy shot are taurine, glucuronolactone, malic acid, N-Acetyl L-tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, caffeine, and citicoline.

Why would you want to take it at all? There are much better foods to get energy from. Go over to the the Health & Fitness section and search - many threads on nutrition and energy.

tennis5 02-12-2013 12:19 PM

Caffeine dehydrates you.

I have seen juniors take that and cramp badly - end of your match.

jgmellor 02-12-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonbro11 (Post 7209477)
Should I take a 5 hour energy for my tournament if I play before 2?

....no....

TennisCoachIN 02-12-2013 12:50 PM

Absolutely not.

sureshs 02-12-2013 12:53 PM

Just eat a banana

PhotoBlue 02-12-2013 02:04 PM

DO NOT take 5 hr energy before a match. There's nothing in that you can't get from regular foods/drink. And don't intake caffeine before a match because it will dehydrate you and make you jittery. My recommendation is to drink 1 Gatorade as soon as you get up, then have another Gatorade and some type of energy bar about an hour before your match. Then During the match, drink mostly water and sip a little Gatorade.

Number1Coach 02-12-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilsonbro11 (Post 7209477)
Should I take a 5 hour energy for my tournament if I play before 2?

my son uses it on a regular basis but make sure you eaten well and plenty of fluids and then if you add 5 hr energy its a great bonus !!

TCF 02-12-2013 02:42 PM

==========================

Overdrive 02-12-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoBlue (Post 7209954)
DO NOT take 5 hr energy before a match. There's nothing in that you can't get from regular foods/drink. And don't intake caffeine before a match because it will dehydrate you and make you jittery. My recommendation is to drink 1 Gatorade as soon as you get up, then have another Gatorade and some type of energy bar about an hour before your match. Then During the match, drink mostly water and sip a little Gatorade.

Thanks for the tip! :)

I'll do this on Friday haha.

Rina 02-12-2013 02:51 PM

First of all, how old are you? Do your parents know and approve of you taking this? Some powerful amino acids in there, might improve concentration, give you energy, put you in a better mood etc... Do you have low energy levels normally? It might give you more energy, but you should try it a few times before. L-tyrosine might make you angry, and moody as well. Other might give you a headache. Some kids just can't wake up enough for morning matches, some are too tired for afternoon play. The mixture of these might be beneficial to people with depression symptoms more than to people hoping to win a difficult match. How about some coca cola, take Monfils for example!

tennis5 02-12-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number1Coach (Post 7209991)
my son uses it on a regular basis but make sure you eaten well and plenty of fluids and then if you add 5 hr energy its a great bonus !!

This is a junior site, so I hope we can responsibly promote healthy products.
In life, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

5 hour energy is under investigation by the FDA for over a dozen deaths.

A recent New York Times report states that there have been 90 filings with the FDA since 2009 which mention 5-Hour Energy;
at least 30 cases filed involved serious health issues that may have been caused by the drink,
including multiple reports of convulsions and heart attacks.

One of the few deaths....

According to the complaint, on August 2, 2009, Hassell was playing basketball in Overton High School's gym when he had a sudden cardiac event. Hanson eventually spent seven months in the hospital, before dying on March 1, 2010.

According to the complaint, Hassell's doctors quote "identified energy drinks as the sole causative risk factor for his cardiac event."

The complaint claims he drank 5 Hour Energy.

Number1Coach 02-12-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7210015)
Now I understand the fist pumps and challenging half of Mexico to a brawl!:)

you have me laughing and I agree

TCF 02-12-2013 05:03 PM

==========================

Overdrive 02-12-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7210309)
We have a girl in our group who acts like a maniac after she eats gummy bears, I can not imagine her on an energy drink.

Hm.... that's bothersome.. :-|

Number1Coach 02-12-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis5 (Post 7210049)
This is a junior site, so I hope we can responsibly promote healthy products.
In life, just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should do it.

5 hour energy is under investigation by the FDA for over a dozen deaths.

A recent New York Times report states that there have been 90 filings with the FDA since 2009 which mention 5-Hour Energy;
at least 30 cases filed involved serious health issues that may have been caused by the drink,
including multiple reports of convulsions and heart attacks.

One of the few deaths....

According to the complaint, on August 2, 2009, Hassell was playing basketball in Overton High School's gym when he had a sudden cardiac event. Hanson eventually spent seven months in the hospital, before dying on March 1, 2010.

According to the complaint, Hassell's doctors quote "identified energy drinks as the sole causative risk factor for his cardiac event."

The complaint claims he drank 5 Hour Energy.

I would like to see the whole investigation before I would post what your posting because half the time these kids drink 5 monster drinks in a row drop dead and its the drinks fault ,so i would like to know how many he drank, was in pounding coffee also , was he on anything else but until I see a report I will always encourage taking vitamin B and a few other natural ingredients for energy .

Heck someone on here encouraged Gatorade which usually has refined sugar which is nothing more then a drug and poison but we don't say nothing agains that ?

TCF 02-12-2013 05:08 PM

==========================

tennis1 02-13-2013 07:25 AM

nice job, good information posted here.

Woolybugger 02-13-2013 10:43 AM

I can see another Lance Armstrong in the making here....

chalkflewup 02-13-2013 10:51 AM

This thread is dangerous and should be locked.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse