Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Jolly Rig II. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454584)

J011yroger 02-12-2013 04:09 PM

The Jolly Rig II.

I think this setup deserves its own thread because I truly believe it is better than the vast majority of crap being foisted on tennis players these days, and so I present to you "The Jolly Rig II"

I named it after myself because I am a narcissistic, egotistical, scumbag. If anyone else thought of it first, or named it after themself at an earlier date, well they will just have to deal with the harsh reality that the string setup is now "The Jolly Rig II".

The setup is Luxilon Big Banger Original mains, and Luxilon ALU rough crosses (but ALU smooth can be used equally well).

I began loving full ALUr after hybrids wouldn't last me long enough, then got to the point where I was breaking full ALUr under an hour, and could no longer afford it.

After a long quest and about 15 different strings and hybrids I settled upon "The Jolly Rig" which was Ashaway Kevlar 16 mains, and ALU Rough crosses, this lasted me 3-5 hours, did everything well, and felt great.

Turns out that my racquets couldn't hold up to the Kevlar blend at 70# that they required being strung at (if you didn't string the Jolly Rig tight, it played great for a little while, and then took a dump, and was basically worthless)

And so I sought out lower tensions and a different setup.

I originally disliked BBO because it had no power. It bit the ball well however, I remembered that. So my ploy was to string it at a lower tension, and back it up with an ALU cross to give it some pop, and utilize its bite.

I started at 58, then 56, 54, 50, and now am stringing it at 48#.

It is lively as all get-out strung that low, and I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point for it surely takes some getting used to.

The Jolly Rig II plays amazingly when fresh, and not too bad at the very end.

I like it dead and ready to break more than I like most polys brand new.

Give it a shot, tell me what you think.

J

db10s 02-12-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7210206)
The Jolly Rig II plays amazingly when fresh, and not too bad at the very end.

J

"The Very End" for you is "Just the Beginning" for pretty much everybody else considering how fast you break strings... :mrgreen:

And how long does it last? Did I miss something?

THESEXPISTOL 02-12-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7210213)
"The Very End" for you is "Just the Beginning" for pretty much everybody else considering how fast you break strings... :mrgreen:

Yes, i would love to know how on earth he breaks these durable strings so fast. I saw a few videos of him hitting, and he hits very hard, but there are pros hitting harder and they don't break them as fast.

Jolly luxilon should study your case.

arche3 02-12-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THESEXPISTOL (Post 7210455)
Yes, i would love to know how on earth he breaks these durable strings so fast. I saw a few videos of him hitting, and he hits very hard, but there are pros hitting harder and they don't break them as fast.

Jolly luxilon should study your case.

Pros have lighter rackets than the jollyK90s I believe. I watched a lot of this years us open qualies this year. Most players played the whole match on 1 racket. 3 sets. They clobbered the ball.

Fuji 02-12-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7210531)
Pros have lighter rackets than the jollyK90s I believe. I watched a lot of this years us open qualies this year. Most players played the whole match on 1 racket. 3 sets. They clobbered the ball.

I think that's the entire thing. Barely any pro's use a 13.5oz+ stick any more, and all that extra heft has to go somewhere (into annihilating a fuzzy yellow ball) and thus take a waaaay heavier toll on the strings.

-Fuji

J011yroger 02-12-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7210531)

I used stock BLXPS and N90s last year before deciding to buy multiple BLXPS90s, and did not notice any longer string life.

If you are in the NY area I would be glad to hit with you whenever (just a guess since you said you went to qualies).

J

Fuji 02-12-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7210655)
I used stock BLXPS and N90s last year before deciding to buy multiple BLXPS90s, and did not notice any longer string life.

If you are in the NY area I would be glad to hit with you whenever (just a guess since you said you went to qualies).

J

Well that disproves that theory, and is terrifying! :razz:

Have you noticed any extended string life in the denser Prestige?

-Fuji

J011yroger 02-12-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db10s (Post 7210213)

Sometimes it breaks in an hour, sometimes it will last 4 or 5 depending on how I am playing.

I think on average it lasts 1.5-2x as long as full ALUr.

Before it breaks it is pretty deeply notched so I get to the same end as most folk, just maybe I get there sooner than some. I assume when my string is worn out and almost ready to break it plays about the same as most peoples strings which are worn out and ready to break, but I can't be sure.

J

J011yroger 02-12-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 7210663)
Well that disproves that theory, and is terrifying! :razz:

Have you noticed any extended string life in the denser Prestige?

-Fuji

Yea, it seems like the Prestige will last longer, but I haven't logged enough time with it to be sure how much.

I broke my first stringjob in it by shanking a kick serve, so that doesn't count.

And I have only really been using it against people I am clearly better than, so I obviously don't wear on strings as much against them.

I won't have a definite number for how long it lasts until the outdoor season begins, and I get a few stringjobs under my belt with it, because in winter I am all over, hitting with different people for an hour here or there, a set of doubles, some points, warmup, water break etc.

In the outdoor season, you warm up for 5 minutes and then give it hell. When it is 12 degrees outside, the process isn't as easy lol.

J

arche3 02-13-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7210655)

J

Yeah totally! I work in the city. After it gets warm I can bring a racket/shoes and we can meet for some tennis. I'm always looking to play with good players. If you play at the us open courts I can take the train there from city.

J011yroger 02-13-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7211470)
Yeah totally! I work in the city. After it gets warm I can bring a racket/shoes and we can meet for some tennis. I'm always looking to play with good players. If you play at the us open courts I can take the train there from city.

Sounds like a plan.

J

Doubles 02-13-2013 09:24 AM

Sounds like an interesting set up. I think Brian Baker uses it, actually. I'll try it here within the next month when I order more strings.

arche3 02-13-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7211623)
Sounds like an interesting set up. I think Brian Baker uses it, actually. I'll try it here within the next month when I order more strings.

I think jolly is younger than 35. No way if he was over 45 can he use that rig. Don't care how loose it is strung.

Doubles 02-13-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7211657)
I think jolly is younger than 35. No way if he was over 45 can he use that rig. Don't care how loose it is strung.

Wait...what?

arche3 02-13-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubles (Post 7211682)
Wait...what?

Maybe I'm wromg but I dont think jolly is older than mid 30s. So his tendons in his arm are not sensitive like people in their later 40s.

mikeler 02-13-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7212066)
Maybe I'm wromg but I dont think jolly is older than mid 30s. So his tendons in his arm are not sensitive like people in their later 40s.

Everytime I read BBO, my elbow gets a tingle.

J011yroger 02-13-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 7212066)

I am 30, but I don't think that has anything to do with arm problems. I think almost all of them are technique related, mainly not being in a strong position when you hit the ball which causes your arm to give every time you impact the ball.

J

Doubles 02-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7212138)
Everytime I read BBO, my elbow gets a tingle.

I'm a lot younger than you, and maybe because of it less sensitive to stiffness, but what did you string it at? I found it comfortable ranging from 55 in a Radical MP to 45 in my Prestige Pro.

TRVX1912 02-13-2013 01:57 PM

Jolly does the head mp hurt your wrist? I was playing with k95 18x20 than moved to the youtek prestige and I spained my wrist. Moved back to my k95 and hurt my shoulder go figure. Now im back after a year and a half trusting in the donnay x dual silver

arche3 02-13-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J011yroger (Post 7212329)
I am 30, but I don't think that has anything to do with arm problems. I think almost all of them are technique related, mainly not being in a strong position when you hit the ball which causes your arm to give every time you impact the ball.

J

Ha ha... youth. Lets see in 15 years. Its usually tendon damage as you age. Repeated wear and tear on knees, back and elbows.