Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringway (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454589)

hyperion99 02-12-2013 05:44 PM

Stringway
 
Does anybody have any feedback about their automatic drop weight stringers?
Is there a difference of a ML100(with the stand)vsML120 and both having the T92 single action clamps?
The company looks very interesting.

Thanks in advance.

diredesire 02-12-2013 06:20 PM

These machines (and the Laserfibre MS200 series) have been discussed to death.

What in particular are you interested in finding out about :confused:

I'd try a search or narrow what it is you're looking for so you can get specific questions answered.
http://www.stringway-nl.com/en/ml100/mainonder.htm
There's the comparison chart for features.

I used to own the equivalent of the ML100, one of my favorite machines. Pulls very true, clamps are pretty good, but they have issues with drawback. Mounting system is designed well, but isn't very fast. Tensioner and system is a dream.

I have a bad shoulder, so pumping the weight ended up getting to me. user 'brownbearfalling' now has the machine.

tball 02-12-2013 06:23 PM

I believe the Concord system is only available for the stand model (due to the thicker beam the table is mounted on). It tilts the racquet so that pulling mains over the throat can be done in a straight line (under the throat, in this case).

hyperion99 02-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7210419)
These machines (and the Laserfibre MS200 series) have been discussed to death.

What in particular are you interested in finding out about :confused:

I'd try a search or narrow what it is you're looking for so you can get specific questions answered.
http://www.stringway-nl.com/en/ml100/mainonder.htm
There's the comparison chart for features.

I used to own the equivalent of the ML100, one of my favorite machines. Pulls very true, clamps are pretty good, but they have issues with drawback. Mounting system is designed well, but isn't very fast. Tensioner and system is a dream.

I have a bad shoulder, so pumping the weight ended up getting to me. user 'brownbearfalling' now has the machine.

Thanks DDesire for the feedback. I checked the products a few days ago and like the way they have their whole system set up(clamps,mounting,and automatic drop weight system.

What issues do you mean about the drawback on the ML100?

Thanks.

hyperion99 02-12-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tball (Post 7210428)
I believe the Concord system is only available for the stand model (due to the thicker beam the table is mounted on). It tilts the racquet so that pulling mains over the throat can be done in a straight line (under the throat, in this case).

Thanks tball:)

diredesire 02-12-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7210476)
Thanks DDesire for the feedback. I checked the products a few days ago and like the way they have their whole system set up(clamps,mounting,and automatic drop weight system.

What issues do you mean about the drawback on the ML100?

Thanks.

Like I said, run a search in the meanwhile to read up on common issues/features/great things about the Laserfibre/Stringway machines. As far as the clamps go, the bases are excellent, but the mating clearance of the clamp to the clamp shaft is pretty loose. i believe the clamps are cast instead of machined, so they've got some horizontal wobble. You can 'pre load' the clamps to minimize drawback, but it's a systematic deficiency, even though on an absolute scale (quality wise, at the very least), I'd rate the stringway clamps as 'excellent.' Perfect amount of texture to remain gentle on the strings, but to minimize clamping force necessary. They don't pick up a ton of string gunk, either, like the Gamma clamps I use do.

bbulla 02-13-2013 08:35 AM

Hi,

I have the ML120 (table top) with the single action clamps. It also has the Concorde system, which is nice, but not a necessity.

I am very happy with it. My biggest beef would be with the design of the mounting system. With the way it is designed, sometimes it is difficult to clamp the top/bottom cross string. (ie. a Wilson Blade Lite cannot clamp top cross) I do lots of badminton, and run into this problem often. There are workarounds though that do not really affect the final resulting string job (ie. double pulling the top/bottom two crosses).

It's a great machine with great customer service from Alpha in the US.

Go for the single action clamps. As dire mentioned, there can be some drawback with the clamps, more so if you have the Concorde system engaged. With the platform 'flat' I have not had any issues with that.

Pulls very true, never needs to be calibrated, and no A/C power required. I used an Ektelon Model H in the past, and like this machine better, although a tad slower to string. Unless you are doing large volume of racquets, it is a great machine.

diredesire 02-13-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbulla (Post 7211496)
Hi,

I have the ML120 (table top) with the single action clamps. It also has the Concorde system, which is nice, but not a necessity.

I am very happy with it. My biggest beef would be with the design of the mounting system. With the way it is designed, sometimes it is difficult to clamp the top/bottom cross string. (ie. a Wilson Blade Lite cannot clamp top cross) I do lots of badminton, and run into this problem often. There are workarounds though that do not really affect the final resulting string job (ie. double pulling the top/bottom two crosses).

It's a great machine with great customer service from Alpha in the US.

Go for the single action clamps. As dire mentioned, there can be some drawback with the clamps, more so if you have the Concorde system engaged. With the platform 'flat' I have not had any issues with that.

Pulls very true, never needs to be calibrated, and no A/C power required. I used an Ektelon Model H in the past, and like this machine better, although a tad slower to string. Unless you are doing large volume of racquets, it is a great machine.

Ooh, good point on the mounting system. I think this is a design issue with many 2 point machines, my 5800 ELS has the same issue for many frames, including a few that aren't even extremely close to the tip of the frame. I might just need to invest in some lower profile clamps, though.

cluckcluck 02-13-2013 08:57 AM

I have the ML100 but with the flying clamps. Like Diredesire said, it's about as accurate as they come and the tension head is perfect...no worries on having the bar being parallel to the ground. Just drop the weight and it's golden.
The only thing I don't love about it is spacers from the mounting posts. They are too thick for thin beamed tennis racquets like Donnay. I had to get an extra set for the hoop and had to saw them down quite a but in order to not crush the grommet.
Every client says that the stringjob is by far the best and most accurate they've had.

bbulla 02-13-2013 10:13 AM

Or perhaps getting a good floating clamp (the Stringway) would help on those top/bottom crosses.

bbulla 02-13-2013 10:14 AM

There is a badminton kit available which could help on those 'low profile' frames. It is a must if you are doing badminton.

hyperion99 02-13-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire (Post 7210570)
Like I said, run a search in the meanwhile to read up on common issues/features/great things about the Laserfibre/Stringway machines. As far as the clamps go, the bases are excellent, but the mating clearance of the clamp to the clamp shaft is pretty loose. i believe the clamps are cast instead of machined, so they've got some horizontal wobble. You can 'pre load' the clamps to minimize drawback, but it's a systematic deficiency, even though on an absolute scale (quality wise, at the very least), I'd rate the stringway clamps as 'excellent.' Perfect amount of texture to remain gentle on the strings, but to minimize clamping force necessary. They don't pick up a ton of string gunk, either, like the Gamma clamps I use do.

Are you talking about the double action clamps or the single action clamps?

Overheadsmash 02-15-2013 06:29 PM

I have the ML120 and love it.

I have the single action clamps, and they work great. You will get a little bit of drawback, but if you pre-load the clamp opposite the direction of pull there is usually no drawback. Even with a little bit of drawback here and there, I honestly cannot tell the difference after the racquet is strung up.

Well-built too, and yes, the straight pull drop weight is a breeze and pulls beautifully.

Peppershaker 02-15-2013 07:49 PM

I have the ML100 w/dual action T98 clamps, purchased about 3+ years ago prior to the Concorde System. Enjoy the machine as much as the first day I assembled it. Sure there are some negatives, but most machines not w/o their own issues.

Only mistake that I made was purchasing the stand. Used it for awhile, but never felt comfortable with it (stability issue) and the max height just wasn't what I liked. Had purchased a HUSKY rolling cabinet on sale at a big box store to hold my string and supplies one day looked over at it realized it was a nicer height moved my Stringway over and now my original stand is boxed up and stored away.

Went with the T98 due to a recommendation, and they are like second nature, can't imagine the single action clamps saving that much time.

Really believe that it's unfair to categorize this as a Drop-Weight....it is but so unique and simple it's really a category in and of itself.

hyperion99 02-17-2013 08:06 AM

Thanks everybody for your comments.
My next question is does the stand on the Stringway have any issues(wobbling/stability issues).

Thanks

mad dog1 02-17-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7219972)
Thanks everybody for your comments.
My next question is does the stand on the Stringway have any issues(wobbling/stability issues).

Thanks

All the stringway stands are 3 point so they will not wobble unlike stands with 4 points where you need to adjust the leveling feet.

struggle 02-17-2013 10:26 AM

for all the positives, these machines have too many short comings for me.

convenience being number 1.

cluckcluck 02-17-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7220494)
for all the positives, these machines have too many short comings for me.

convenience being number 1.

How is it not convenient? It's a tabletop dropweight. Doesn't get much more convenient that that.

struggle 02-17-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7220510)
How is it not convenient? It's a tabletop dropweight. Doesn't get much more convenient that that.

truth, i have not used one. the mounting system appears clunky and well, slow.

otherwise, "tabletop" and "dropweight" don't resonate "convenience" to me.

if you can explain otherwise, I'll listen. I'd rather string on an upright anyday (much more convenient). also, DW in general doesn't promote convenience. never has,

not saying it's a poor machine, but to hype it over other seems misguided. sure, it's differenent and it IS cp. but that doesn't really matter to me.

marco forehand 02-17-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7220587)
truth, i have not used one. the mounting system appears clunky and well, slow.

otherwise, "tabletop" and "dropweight" don't resonate "convenience" to me.

if you can explain otherwise, I'll listen. I'd rather string on an upright anyday (much more convenient). also, DW in general doesn't promote convenience. never has,

not saying it's a poor machine, but to hype it over other seems misguided. sure, it's differenent and it IS cp. but that doesn't really matter to me.

I HAVE used a variety of machines (Ektelon H, Star 5) in a shop setting, at tournaments and in my home. I wouldn't feel that I should comment on a stringing machine if I hadn't used it for at least a couple racquets. That's just me I guess.
I currently own 3 different stringing machine. Always use the Stringway (a ML 100 on a custom stand)
Thanks for reminding me. Gotta sell those other two


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse