Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Weird stringer (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454595)

zapvor 02-12-2013 07:10 PM

Weird stringer

I don't think this has come up before...so at my work there is a new stringer who's cool and all, but there's a few things that's bugging me. I string for a lot of juniors, and a lot of them 'abuse' their rackets, so to speak, so the bumperguards and grommets are often beat up. the other day, i find out that apparently he "doesn't do bumperguards" so i was left to replace a pure drive myself. then today after putting in a request to management about getting some teflon tubing because so many rackets i see are in real bad shape, he tells me that "we don't do teflon tubing, we string them up as they come".

so i am pretty shocked at his statement. this is a guy that tells me he strung 12hrs straight at tournaments, and yet tells me there no need for using tubing???

how do i approach this?

drakulie 02-12-2013 07:15 PM

Buy a roll of tubing, and use it on your own. Perhaps if they see you spent the money on a product that is helping their customers, they will reimburse you.

zapvor 02-12-2013 07:18 PM

thanks drak! i appreciate your input.

a more in depth question if you dont mind-how do i approach management about this though? it just seems like such an odd thing for a stringer to say right?

uk_skippy 02-13-2013 01:00 AM

I think the stringers approach is unprofessional for 1 who claims to string at tourneys. As Drak has said, get some tubing of your own and use it. It should be standard in any stringers' tool kit.

As for the management issue, I'd consider letting the scenario of the stringer string a rqt with a split grommet, and then the rqt coming back with a premature breakage due to the grommet. Management won't be happy if they have to replace the string job at their expense due a lack of professionalism.

Regards

Paul

Irvin 02-13-2013 02:01 AM

I wish there weren't but I think there are a lot of stringers wondering what's wrong with that. My guess is if you buy tubing you won't get reimbursed. I think the store would rather have them buy a new racket that spend time fixing an old one.

EDIT: I hate to say it but if the racket is all beat up to begin with and the bumper strip is torn to peaches think of what could happen. A junior brings in a racket you replace the grip, grommets, and strings and the junior goes on his way. Two days later the racket cracks and someone wants their money back.

bigmatt 02-13-2013 03:59 AM

This guy will probably run himself out of a job with this attitude. As posted above, once racquets he's worked on come back needing free restrings because he "doesn't do" what's required of a professional, he'll be out on the streets.
You're doing the right thing by everyone, and I hope you're rewarded for it.

Lakers4Life 02-13-2013 09:00 AM

I want to play devil's advocate here. From the management's side, they don't want to spend more, because if they figure the client would most likely buy a new racket, instead of trying to repair the racket. If you don't tube a bad grommet, that will most likely lead to string breakage. That's more percieved dollars in the company's pocket.

Though I agree with all of you, that it's the stringer's job to replace head guards/grommets, tubing, Grips and string. That's pretty much the job of a stringer. Anyone who does not do want to do that should not call themselves a Stringer.

BTW, I've seen my fill of abused "Junior" rackets, even adult rackets.

zapvor 02-13-2013 11:44 AM

thank you gents for your input, especially those of you who does this for a living (Paul, the MRTs, etc)

so i think i am just going to buy some tubing and see how that goes. if he doesn't want to do it, i will do it myself.

please allow me to specify what i did not before: so management oversees the string shop, but they are pretty hands off, and actually know very little about stringing. for instance they cant tell teh difference between awl and starting clamp. so far all the rackets that are breaking prematurely they have no idea about, and i dont think they care that much really. in fact if i dont mention it to them, they would have no idea this is even going on.

zapvor 02-13-2013 11:45 AM

to add: most of these frames are sponsored juniors, so there is no incentive for management to sell them new frames, since they get it for free.

edit-so my question is more of this: how do i 'educate' management about this without looking like the bad guy, since they know so little about the stringing side of business

Lakers4Life 02-13-2013 11:51 AM

Sponsored Juniors usually only have a limited amount of rackets they can get replaced. I guess in thier thinking if they break the racket it will be replaced by the sponsor or mom and dad.

SwankPeRFection 02-13-2013 03:51 PM

Not replacing a bumper guard or telling the owner of a racquet to pay for such a service when that guard is in really bad shape is just bad business. Poor grommet maintenance will lead to poor string jobs, snapped strings and even more damage to the frame. Stringers should suggest proper maintenance to someone's stick that's in really bad shape.

zapvor 02-13-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7212096)
Sponsored Juniors usually only have a limited amount of rackets they can get replaced. I guess in thier thinking if they break the racket it will be replaced by the sponsor or mom and dad.

yea cost is not a concern to these guys

zapvor 02-13-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection (Post 7212606)
Not replacing a bumper guard or telling the owner of a racquet to pay for such a service when that guard is in really bad shape is just bad business. Poor grommet maintenance will lead to poor string jobs, snapped strings and even more damage to the frame. Stringers should suggest proper maintenance to someone's stick that's in really bad shape.

not sure what you meant. are you saying they shouldnt have to pay to get their bumperguards replaced? in my experience theres always a charge to get a new bumper. personally i only suggest it to the adults, and even then they dont listen. in fact i had one tell me i was a "smartazz' for trying to tell him what to do, and he complained to management. it was pretty funny.

is this what your post means??

esgee48 02-13-2013 06:23 PM

What's preventing you from telling these Jrs that their racquets need grommets etc. OTW, they risk string damage from rubbing against the frame etc. Or if the frame is really trashed, just say that there is no guarantee on the work or the frame. And no 'money back, etc.' It would be their call as to what to do, but at least they would know what may happen. I do this all the time when I receive a racquet from adults that are 'barely hanging on.' In some cases, I refuse to string it because the racquet WILL break on the stringing machine. Just 2 cents.

zapvor 02-13-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7212926)
What's preventing you from telling these Jrs that their racquets need grommets etc. OTW, they risk string damage from rubbing against the frame etc. Or if the frame is really trashed, just say that there is no guarantee on the work or the frame. And no 'money back, etc.' It would be their call as to what to do, but at least they would know what may happen. I do this all the time when I receive a racquet from adults that are 'barely hanging on.' In some cases, I refuse to string it because the racquet WILL break on the stringing machine. Just 2 cents.

thanks for your input.

in my experience the younger kids actually listen more than the adults. but they care less. its a weird dynamic. i dont even really tell them, usually if i can i jsut do it then tell them later and they are like "oh cool man'. but this is a broad generalization. some kids act as if its cool to trash the frame, others do it more unknowingly. honestly i cant tell half the time myself

now the adults are funny. the guy i mentioned insisted i string his racket even though the graphite is worn to the point of seeing inside the frame, and i told him it was going to break any second. he said i was being a smartazz.

zapvor 02-20-2013 09:37 PM

so today stringer calls me up. i call him back a little later. he says something about not calling him yesterday, and that its very disrespectful. then he hangs up on me. to be fair he went to the dentist so maybe he got real bad news. i dont know what to do with him lol

Andyroo10567 02-20-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7227575)
so today stringer calls me up. i call him back a little later. he says something about not calling him yesterday, and that its very disrespectful. then he hangs up on me. to be fair he went to the dentist so maybe he got real bad news. i dont know what to do with him lol

Karma. Hoping your talking about the one who ignored the tubing. :)

zapvor 02-20-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 7227588)
Karma. Hoping your talking about the one who ignored the tubing. :)

lol. yea its the same guy. since you mention it. so i went to management to confirm what he said. and then i told my boss that i was just going to buy some myself and do the tubing myself. in fact, i even went to Sears today and bought new cutters/ needle nose pliers to use

zapvor 02-20-2013 09:55 PM

which also then reminds me(to continue from above)so the guy takes all teh tools with him each day he goes home. so my first week i had nothing to work with, and had to go to the maintenance guys for their giant pliers and cutters, which isnt the best for small things like tennis string. anyways managemnt gives him money to buy supplies for me.....and he gets the same type of huge tools. but his set is much smaller, like those designed for tennis. what is up with that???? happy to say i went out and bought some smaller ones for me to use from now on. also, i havent been paid yet :(

Andyroo10567 02-20-2013 09:57 PM

Nice. How much tubing did you think you would have to use per racquet?