Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Stringing Prince Exo3 Port Holes (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454652)

Tennisplayer1234 02-13-2013 08:21 AM

Stringing Prince Exo3 Port Holes

Hi guys,

I have been stringing a Prince Exo3 Tour 16X18 with my Prince Neos 1500 machine. I know that when I string with port holes I need to brake my machine so it pulls the string straight. At the start of the crosses the curvature of the frame doesn't allow my to brake the machine and put it into the tension head in a straight line. I end up pulling the string at an angle for the first few holes and I can tell it is putting stress on the string. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or anything I can do differently?

Thank you!

Lakers4Life 02-13-2013 09:12 AM

You just want to get the string as close to the correct side of the O-port as possible. You'll probably be pulling at a slight angle but it's ok. You may have to experiment a little, until you get the hang of it. Otherwise, call Prince for a boomerang.

mikeler 02-13-2013 10:12 AM

My brake is not strong enough on a 5 year old Gamma X-ST so the best solution for me is the 50/50 method of starting the crosses in the center of the frame.

Lakers4Life 02-13-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7211769)
My brake is not strong enough on a 5 year old Gamma X-ST so the best solution for me is the 50/50 method of starting the crosses in the center of the frame.

He's got a Neos 1500 with a good table lock, I would not even call it a brake.

mikeler 02-13-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7212025)
He's got a Neos 1500 with a good table lock, I would not even call it a brake.

I understand but the 50/50 method does allow fairly straight pulls.

Lakers4Life 02-13-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7212035)

True, but he would need a starting clamp. It seems that most people don't bother to buy a starting clamps unless it's included with thier machine.

I'm pretty sure he can do with the table lock of a Neos 1500, since it's a Prince machine and Prince racket.

zapvor 02-13-2013 11:48 AM

or use your body!

mikeler 02-13-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7212063)
True, but he would need a starting clamp. It seems that most people don't bother to buy a starting clamps unless it's included with thier machine.

I'm pretty sure he can do with the table lock of a Neos 1500, since it's a Prince machine and Prince racket.

Good point, starting clamp is required.

mongting 02-13-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7211592)
You just want to get the string as close to the correct side of the O-port as possible. You'll probably be pulling at a slight angle but it's ok. You may have to experiment a little, until you get the hang of it. Otherwise, call Prince for a boomerang.

Ditto. Little bit of angle wouldn't be a problem.

Irvin 02-13-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7212035)

The 50/50 method does not allow for a straight pull. No matter how you string a racket there is seldom a straight pull. The string will either bend at the frame and pull on a straight one into and through the gripper or it will go straight through the racket and bend at the entry point into the gripper at an angle to the direction of pull. If you have a stringer with 360 degree rotation there is also a bend at the frame where the string goes down to the gripper. If you use a brake or lock on a machine with 360 degree rotation then you have a bend at the frame and going into the gripper.

Irvin 02-13-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisplayer1234 (Post 7211465)
Hi guys,

I have been stringing a Prince Exo3 Tour 16X18 with my Prince Neos 1500 machine. I know that when I string with port holes I need to brake my machine so it pulls the string straight. At the start of the crosses the curvature of the frame doesn't allow my to brake the machine and put it into the tension head in a straight line. I end up pulling the string at an angle for the first few holes and I can tell it is putting stress on the string. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or anything I can do differently?

Thank you!

You do not need to brake the machine until you get to the ported holes. As long as you are pulling through the upper normal grommets you do a normal pull. Once you get to where you are pulling a string exiting an O port the string wants to settle in the top half of the port and it needs to be in the bottom of the port to go down to the next cross. You can then rotate the turntable so the string if forced to the bottom of the port then lock the table.

Irvin 02-13-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 7212086)
or use your body!

Without a doubt the worst thing you could do on a lockout machine. Wen the tensioner locks there is no more tension being pulled. S on a lock if you hold the frame with your hip while moving the clamp if the racket is not held in the exact position it was in when the tension locked out you will have erratic tension on your string. If the racket turn in one direction the length of the string gets longer and the tension goes up. If the racket turn in the other direction the string gets shorter and the tension goes down.

Irvin 02-13-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7212126)
Good point, starting clamp is required.

Sometimes a starting clamp is required it depends on what type of clamps you are using. I use my two fixed clamps and a flying clamp when I do 50/50 now.

mikeler 02-14-2013 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 7212173)
The 50/50 method does not allow for a straight pull. No matter how you string a racket there is seldom a straight pull. The string will either bend at the frame and pull on a straight one into and through the gripper or it will go straight through the racket and bend at the entry point into the gripper at an angle to the direction of pull. If you have a stringer with 360 degree rotation there is also a bend at the frame where the string goes down to the gripper. If you use a brake or lock on a machine with 360 degree rotation then you have a bend at the frame and going into the gripper.

I said fairly straight. :)

Cfidave 02-14-2013 04:49 AM

Oport racquets have always come out nicely using 50/50 for me. I have never used the brake or a boomerang tool, just 50/50.

leroy_sunset 05-11-2013 09:31 AM

Question - I've been using the 50/50 method on the crosses for my EXO3. Is it necessary to do a starting knot? Since I'm not pulling tension on any of the knots, can't I just use standard tie-off knots at both top and bottom?

Lakers4Life 05-11-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroy_sunset (Post 7403963)
Question - I've been using the 50/50 method on the crosses for my EXO3. Is it necessary to do a starting knot? Since I'm not pulling tension on any of the knots, can't I just use standard tie-off knots at both top and bottom?

Why would need a starting knot if you are doing a 50/50? You would not be able to cinch a starting knot, anyways.

Any tie off knot will suffice at the top and bottom tie offs.

leroy_sunset 05-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers4Life (Post 7404116)
Any tie off knot will suffice at the top and bottom tie offs.

As I suspected, thanks.