Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal criticizes the Sao Paolo tournament (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454658)

Talker 02-13-2013 09:34 AM

Nadal criticizes the Sao Paolo tournament

World No. 5 Rafael Nadal has come out on Wednesday with some scathing remarks towards the organisers of the Brasil Open, a tournament which is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 Series.

"It is unacceptable that a tournament is held in these conditions. The bounce of the ball is too irregular, the lines are falling off and the balls are far too soft. You can not have any long rallies here."

Nadal followed that up with a critique of the ATP.

"This situation is a consequence of the ATP's lack of worry for the players. These courts are bad for the health of the players and I hope someone will take action against this. The audience wants to see long matches and on these kinds of courts that is impossible without injuries, no?"

When asked about the state of his knee, Nadal was cautiously optimistic.

"My knee feels a bit better today. Of course, it still changes from day to day, some day it's better, some day it's worse. All I can do is see how things go and I hope the injury will not cause me to lose matches I could win."

He assured the Brazilian journalists that his qualms were with the São Paulo tournament only.

"I love playing in Brazil and I am already looking forward to the Olympics in Rio. I just think that this tournament has had some problems with the organisation, but my team and I are going to talk to the organisers and see if it can be fixed."

jaggy 02-13-2013 09:40 AM

What color is the court?

Govnor 02-13-2013 09:45 AM

Yellow Courts, like the flag.

mariecon 02-13-2013 09:47 AM

so now clay courts are bad for the players? LOL. What's left? He's criticized hard courts, now clay. What a primadonna.

Fiji 02-13-2013 09:49 AM

Already coming up with excuses to justify his eventual loss in Brazil.

I wonder what excuse he will come up with to justify his loss in Mexico?

Cup8489 02-13-2013 09:49 AM

Next he's going to say that the balls cause him tennis elbow.

Feather 02-13-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 7211691)
Next he's going to say that the balls cause him tennis elbow.

Ridiculous, there is nothing on earth left that he doesn;t complain about.

psYcon 02-13-2013 09:52 AM

First it was Madrid's blue clay, and now this.

NadalDramaQueen 02-13-2013 09:54 AM

I hope this is a joke.

mattennis 02-13-2013 09:58 AM

What? Is he complaining about a clay-court and/or balls being too fast so that the points are not long enough (for him)?

This must be a joke, right?

Seriously, Nadal should have been born 20 years earlier. Should have had the experience of facing a Krajicek, Ivanisevic, Rosset, Stich, Becker, Arthurs, Forget, Wheaton,....on a very slick and fast grass or many ultra-fast low-bouncing indoor carpets from the 80s and beginning of the 90s.

Players like Muster, Bruguera or even Berasategui (who was awful on very fast and low-bouncing surfaces) had to play on those conditions several times a year, and they tried their best (even Muster and Bruguera had some success sometimes on very fast conditions).

What does Nadal want? He is playing in a very special era. An era where there isn't fast court/balls conditions anymore.

And still he complains about some clay court/ball being too fast?

For Goodness sake....

フェデラー 02-13-2013 10:00 AM

Nadal's criticisms are justified...

From Dustin Brown:
Erry1 Knows The Courts Here @brasilopen2013 R ****... I Twist My Ankle During Play & Say "Its A **** Court" & Get A Point Penalty...

Retweeted Dustin Brown Fans (@dustinbrownfans):

Must feel for Ramriez twisting his ankle due to the ****** courts in Sao Paolo. Feels like Dustin was right about what he said in the match

So it seems there is a problem with the clay.

vive le beau jeu ! 02-13-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talker (Post 7211648)
World No. 5 Rafael Nadal has come out on Wednesday with some scathing remarks towards the organisers of the Brasil Open, a tournament which is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 Series.

"It is unacceptable that a tournament is held in these conditions. The bounce of the ball is too irregular, the lines are falling off and the balls are far too soft. You can not have any long rallies here."

Nadal followed that up with a critique of the ATP.

"This situation is a consequence of the ATP's lack of worry for the players. These courts are bad for the health of the players and I hope someone will take action against this. The audience wants to see long matches and on these kinds of courts that is impossible without injuries, no?"

seriously ?!
seems our TTW jokes were not enough... the grumpy golden bull had to push the limits of pathetic whining even further !!! :rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7211687)
Already coming up with excuses to justify his eventual loss in Brazil.

I wonder what excuse he will come up with to justify his loss in Mexico?

it's already decided:
he doesn't like the color of mexican beans.
(their colour is a consequence of the ATP's lack of worry for the tacos)

ViscaB 02-13-2013 10:10 AM

Nadal also fell in the doubles match.

I don't think the organizers are too bothered about what Rafa says. All his matches are sold out.

TennezSport 02-13-2013 10:28 AM

Txt'd my bud.........

I texted my bud who is stringing at the event and he stated that the courts in SP have a harder under surface and a thinner top coat (similar to Madrid). Ball will bounce a little faster so they are using slightly softer balls to compensate. This may throw some players off in timing and footwork, but it's not dangerous.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

mariecon 02-13-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViscaB (Post 7211761)
Nadal also fell in the doubles match.

I don't think the organizers are too bothered about what Rafa says. All his matches are sold out.

He should leave these smaller tournaments to the journeymen. That's why they exist. Without them, the lower ranked players would never win a tournament. It's really not right. I think he's getting what he deserves.:twisted:

cluckcluck 02-13-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennezSport (Post 7211836)
I texted my bud who is stringing at the event and he stated that the courts in SP have a harder under surface and a thinner top coat (similar to Madrid). Ball will bounce a little faster so they are using slightly softer balls to compensate. This may throw some players off in timing and footwork, but it's not dangerous.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Tennis is about adapting. Not every tournament is ever going to play identical as the day before, let alone the year before.
Players need to understand this.

Clarky21 02-13-2013 10:40 AM

Nadal is not the only one to complain about the courts in Brasil. Many players have complained about the courts and the lousy tennis balls they are using there. No surprise he gets flack from the usual suspects around here for every single thing he does, even if what he's saying is justified.

JayChu 02-13-2013 10:40 AM

Anyone got a link to the story?

Clarky21 02-13-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7211865)
Tennis is about adapting. Not every tournament is ever going to play identical as the day before, let alone the year before.
Players need to understand this.

There's a difference between a court not suiting a certain players style, and a court that is unsafe.

mariecon 02-13-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7211880)
Nadal is not the only one to complain about the courts in Brasil. No surprise he gets flack from the usual suspects around here for every single thing he does, even if what he's saying is justified.

you ever hear of the boy who cried wolf? :shock: