Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pro Kennex Silver Ace 90 Ceramic (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454659)

jrv 02-13-2013 09:48 AM

Pro Kennex Silver Ace 90 Ceramic

Hi Everybody,
First post here, been gleening info for some time tho. Lots of obsessed, no, passionate, tennis ppl here :)

I recently had the good fortune to come across a mint condition Pro Kennex Silver Ace 90 Ceramic. Still unstrung, plastic wrap on handle and all. A beautiful piece of work.

I have seen a few other threads here on this racquet, and they have been very helpful for specs, history etc.

I cannot wait to hit with this, and see how it compares to my BB Legend for softness. I am a recovering TE sufferer.

My question is about the string that came with the racquet. Yes, it include the APW (adjustable peripheral weight) and 2 packages of string, that I am going to assume is just basic nylon.

It is labeled Pro Kennex "Natural Synthetic Tennis String"

Ignoring for the moment the brilliant and oxymoronic nature of a 'natural synthetic', I have to guess this string is as old as the racquet, at least 20 years or so, and I wonder,

Would this string be worth even using any more? or would it have degraded too much sitting over the years in a basement/shed/wherever it was.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

jrv

The Meat 02-13-2013 09:57 AM

Change the strings as soon as you can, I currently play them with poly's. The string that it comes with isn't all that great.

slowfox 02-13-2013 10:27 AM

Nice racquet. I had one way back, but can't recall how it played. I did play the heck out of it, so I guess I liked it. Slipped outta my hand one day and cracked at the throat. RIP. We had lots of good times together.

jrv 02-13-2013 10:58 AM

Pro Kennex Silver Ace 90 Ceramic

hrm, new account will not let me quote a reply. odd.

The Meat :
the string is not even installed, its still in its little plastic package! was just curious if it was even worth trying to string...might stick it in my old PK Graphite presence for the heck of it.

I will prolly just put a nice soft multi in it and see how it goes. the X-one bi phase in my legend feels pretty good, and as its winter here, gut would be a waste...

cheers,
jrv

The Meat 02-13-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrv (Post 7211957)
hrm, new account will not let me quote a reply. odd.

The Meat :
the string is not even installed, its still in its little plastic package! was just curious if it was even worth trying to string...might stick it in my old PK Graphite presence for the heck of it.

I will prolly just put a nice soft multi in it and see how it goes. the X-one bi phase in my legend feels pretty good, and as its winter here, gut would be a waste...

cheers,
jrv

Didn't know green names couldn't quote posters.

Anyways, your's came unstrung and in a package??!!!! Every one of my preowned Prokennex 90's were all strung with that white synthetic gut and had a prokennex symbol on them. Might want to hold onto that package and sell it, might be a rare find :)

jrv 02-13-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7212107)
Didn't know green names couldn't quote posters.

Anyways, your's came unstrung and in a package??!!!! Every one of my preowned Prokennex 90's were all strung with that white synthetic gut and had a prokennex symbol on them. Might want to hold onto that package and sell it, might be a rare find :)

Well, quoting seems to work fine now!
ok
I was quite surprised as well, it is absolutely brand new. I thought of keeping it pristine too, for the rarity, but I *really* want to hit with it, and see how it feels. I've not hit with a 90 frame for a long time though, so it could be very interesting lol.
thanks for the info...

jrv

PBODY99 02-14-2013 05:35 AM

There was more than one Pro Kennex model with this name. What are the colors? No matter which of the models it is a nice stick from that time period. The ones I had were white and were not a stiff as the Sliver Ace/

jrv 02-14-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBODY99 (Post 7213558)
There was more than one Pro Kennex model with this name. What are the colors? No matter which of the models it is a nice stick from that time period. The ones I had were white and were not a stiff as the Sliver Ace/

It appears I got lucky, and got the good one? I believe so either way.

This is the white racquet, with some light blue striping, and grey grommets. Labeled 'ceramic' along the top of the hoop.

I do not have a picture site account, so cannot post now, but it is the same racquet in this thread : the pics further down the page. I have the same bag as in those pics, but it is a lot clearner :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=337690

original Pro Kennex branded leather grip under the plastic too.

Getting it strung tonight/tmrw with some multi, hope to get some hits in Sunday evening.

cheers

jrv