Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Has James Blake sticking around hurt his legacy? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454702)

HunterST 02-13-2013 03:04 PM

Has James Blake sticking around hurt his legacy?

James Blake is one of my favorite players, but any real hope of him having a big success has been gone for a few years. Players and fans often talk about how players should retire when they're still close to their original ability to preserve their legacy.

Do you think JB sticking around and losing fairly often to players ranked outside the top 100, and even 200, has hurt his legacy?

BeHappy 02-13-2013 03:06 PM

He has no legacy. It's his life. It's nice to know these pro's actually love tennis.

HunterST 02-13-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 7212523)
He has no legacy. It's his life. It's nice to know these pro's actually love tennis.

Not sure what you mean by no legacy. He finished in the top 10 several years and is well known for overcoming a broken neck, zoster, and family problems.

I do agree it shows he loves the game.

BeHappy 02-13-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HunterST (Post 7212530)
Not sure what you mean by no legacy. He finished in the top 10 several years and is well known for overcoming a broken neck, zoster, and family problems.

I do agree it shows he loves the game.

I mean he never won a slam or made a final. I have never heard a decent career described as a legacy. People will not be talking about James Blake in 15 years.

El Diablo 02-13-2013 04:06 PM

When someone is one of your favorite players, you have very little objectivity. Legacy? His legacy is a little thin, beyond being a nice guy who got into the top 10 for a short time. He's been off the radar for too long for anyone to really pay attention to what he's doing now.

President 02-13-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeHappy (Post 7212550)
I mean he never won a slam or made a final. I have never heard a decent career described as a legacy. People will not be talking about James Blake in 15 years.

The mural on the front wall of my tennis club is a massive picture of James Blake ripping a backhand. He will be remembered...

Paul Murphy 02-13-2013 04:53 PM

I love his style and like the guy but not sure what legacy he has to leave, other than the courage of coming back from that horrific injury.

Paul Murphy 02-13-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7212641)
The mural on the front wall of my tennis club is a massive picture of James Blake ripping a backhand. He will be remembered...

That would be a very good mural indeed.

BrooklynNY 02-13-2013 05:23 PM

James Blake is a hometown hero underdog, and that's why guys love him. I personally love his game - super talented. It's a shame he couldn't have done more when he was at his best. I think his legacy is more about being a guy who made it through adversity and was a success.

It's not like he is at the status of say a Lleyton Hewitt, as some other posters have alluded to.

Ace of Aces 02-13-2013 05:35 PM

He will be remembered for his forehand. No matter how long he plays, the videos of him belting lasers can't be erased.

NadalAgassi 02-13-2013 05:38 PM

A big no. He has had a very fine career, but he does not have any kind of significant legacy per say he could damage in the first place. It is riskier for a great of the game who has won slams to stay around too long, and have their head to heads and how they look overjudged, but for a player like Blake it is meaningless. Everyone knows what he was in his prime, a very brief top 5 player, and solid top 10 player for a few years, who was fun to watch but was never going to win a slam. The expected struggle of a player who isnt truly special in his 30s really changes nothing of that.

Paul Murphy 02-13-2013 05:44 PM

Saw him play live once on HC.
The guy was an excitement machine.
Wish his career hadn't been so affected by injuries.

DropShotArtist 02-13-2013 06:15 PM

legacy |ˈlegəsē|
noun ( pl. -cies)
an amount of money or property left to someone in a will.
• a thing handed down by a predecessor

So yes by definition Blake will have a legacy if he has children.

Goosehead 02-13-2013 06:18 PM

i think he should pack up playing but its up to him..often think why players carry on after they have..'jumped the shark' suppose they must just enjoy playing and competing at a lower level..

look at hewitt, world no 110 or whatever..relying on wildcards to get into majors/masters events now..just had a gritty 3 set win in san jose angainst someone he would've wasted no problem a while back..

Breaking News...tennis players like playing tennis :neutral: thats the whole thing, got to keep that waggon rolling etc...

omega4 02-13-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7212920)
Breaking News...tennis players like playing tennis :neutral: thats the whole thing, got to keep that waggon rolling etc...

Agreed. I just saw a match where Courrier beat McEnroe in some Seniors Championship Indoor tournament.

Both were mere shadows of their former selves. Neither really needs the prize money. But they looked like they were having a lot of fun playing against each other.

And that's what it's all about....

Federer20042006 02-13-2013 06:31 PM

Unfortunately for him, I think he may be remembered more for contributing to Agassi's legacy at the 2005 US Open.

single_handed_champion 02-13-2013 06:49 PM

If the OP considers returning to play a professional sport after horrific injuries his legacy, then it only strengthens his legacy to stay around for as long as he can.

OddJack 02-13-2013 06:56 PM

No, simply because there is not much legacy to start with. There is no spot light on him to hurt or not hurt.

JoelDali 02-13-2013 07:11 PM

If he had quit in 2010 he would have retired a mid tier GOAT in line with Wilander or Edberg.

Dragging it out has really hurt his GOATness rating.

Playing Donnay with cheesy hats doesn't help either.

BuggyDub 02-13-2013 10:41 PM

He did tell Pam Shriver where to go. Wouldn't we all like to do that? I wish his career would have been more successful for him, but he should play until it's no fun for him anymore, or his body has finally had enough. Same thing for Hewitt.